Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's something you wish you had known before losing all the weight?

5 hours ago, Sami.xo said:

I would have given myself a better support system, instead of trying to do it alone.

I definitely understand this. I've been telling pretty much everyone in my inner circle that I am going through with surgery, even updating my Facebook with my current weight loss progress, and it seems like I've got a good amount of outside support! :)

I wish I had more mental preparation because it is a huge lifestyle change. Even a year out I struggle with all the changes and how different my life is.

My main concern is I drink like a fish (not alcohol, but Water, for instance) and it seems like I won't be able to chug water like I am able to now. I think I can handle the food, though. I've been replacing 1-2 of my meals a day with a Protein Shake as of recently and its not terrible!

Im extremely happy with the decision to get the sleeve. I’d definitely encourage anyone struggling like I was to do the same. It’s a journey and it’s not always easy, but it really is amazing and worth it.

I am happy to hear that you feel that way. I honestly think its the best choice for people who struggle with their health and losing any weight at all is a step in the right direction to a longer, healthier life. :)

On 2/4/2020 at 3:28 AM, Sheribear68 said:

I wish I’d taken more before photos.
I literally would run and hide anytime there was a photo op and therefore I don’t have a single HW snapshot.
The only thing I’ve got is a photo where my sister ambushed me on Christmas Eve 2018, which was after I’d lost some pre-surgery weight and I was already 20 pounds down from my HW.

As painful as it was to see those photos at the time, I regret that I don’t have a anything really as a point of reference.

Same here...and probably true for most of us! I avoided getting photographed when I was fat and only kept the most flattering shots. As a result, I have no photos now to truly show how far I have come....although I guess the most important thing is that I know.

I wish I had known how many foods my stomach wouldn't tolerate anymore and that food wouldn't be fun, just fuel, going forward.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:09 PM, BoredFatGirl said:

I definitely understand this. I've been telling pretty much everyone in my inner circle that I am going through with surgery, even updating my Facebook with my current weight loss progress, and it seems like I've got a good amount of outside support! :)

My main concern is I drink like a fish (not alcohol, but Water, for instance) and it seems like I won't be able to chug Water like I am able to now. I think I can handle the food, though. I've been replacing 1-2 of my meals a day with a Protein Shake as of recently and its not terrible!

I am happy to hear that you feel that way. I honestly think its the best choice for people who struggle with their health and losing any weight at all is a step in the right direction to a longer, healthier life. :)

I’m not sure if it’s different for other people but I still can’t chug water. I miss it so much lol

3 hours ago, Sami.xo said:

I’m not sure if it’s different for other people but I still can’t chug Water. I miss it so much lol

Awww! I know I will miss it too. I've always been one to drink a whole lot of liquids. I recently switched to only ice cold water and omgg.. *drools* I can't get enough!

I will add to this with a bit of funny thing I wish I had known.

I wish I had known that it was going to be uncomfortable sitting on hard surfaces when basically all your padding and isolation is gone. The bare bone of the ass straight only separated by skin on to a wooden chair...😂

I always knew I loose weight tighs and ass first, but what the hell...I am 30kgs out of goal weight, and I have tigh gaps, no chub rub and nothing to sit on. Can we just move the fat from the stomach on to the ass? That would fine, thank you very much. I like a little junk in the trunk.

I can’t chug Water like I used to either. I have bottles of water around the house so I can take a mouthful wherever I am. I can just manage a second mouthful but I often hold it in my mouth for a few seconds before swallowing.

And hell yeah to the bony butt pain. Driving any distance is a struggle. I feel pain if my pjs or sheets bunch up under me during the night. When I get up after sitting for even 10mins, and I’m bent over like an old lady. Owwww.

I honestly personally will say this since ive gotten my surgery, going out to eat is hard as **** the first 3 months for me and still being 7 months out because literally everytime ive gone out to eat waitress/waitor will ask if i liked my food or not because i barely ate. It makes me mad haha be prepared for that ☺️

11 hours ago, tal said:

I honestly personally will say this since ive gotten my surgery, going out to eat is hard as **** the first 3 months for me and still being 7 months out because literally everytime ive gone out to eat waitress/waitor will ask if i liked my food or not because i barely ate. It makes me mad haha be prepared for that ☺️

If we say no, do we get our money back or a voucher for another meal because if so.. 🤔 🤣 I'm awful! LOL

On 02/15/2020 at 23:09, tal said:

It gets easier, but it’s still rough sometimes.
On the upside, hubs and I rarely go out to eat anymore bc of this, therefore it’s great for our budget.
On the downside,I’ve had to learn to tell myself repeatedly that IDGAS what the servers or restaurant staff think of me when I I order an appetizer as a meal (honestly it’s so tedious sometimes to explain that I want it brought when everyone’s meal arrives because IT IS MY MEAL) or when hubs and I share an app and I take small bites off of his plate and ask for an extra smaller plate.
You would think with more and more bari brothers and sisters out there that this would be so common, but it’s still hard for people to understand.
It’s like our society exists to stuff our faces with as much crap as we can when we go out rather than enjoy the experience of going out.

I havent lost all my weight yet but I wish someone pushed me to lose more weight pre op. My doctors made it seem like its not a big deal if I didnt lose weight before my surgery but I really wish i had lost more.

Oh and yea same, I miss chugging Water and i didnt think it would be this hard living without a straw!

On 2/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, Sheribear68 said:

You would think with more and more bari brothers and sisters out there that this would be so common, but it’s still hard for people to understand.

Despite how many of us that exist these days, we are still the minority. I imagine that a waiter/waitress just makes the automatic assumption that everyone will be getting a full meal and any appetizers are meant for before the main dishes come out. I get them feeling... perhaps confused?

Though, I have gone out with my mom who hasn't had surgery and will order just a plate of fries or something similar as her meal and I don't *think* I've heard anyone question it. Either way, I can understand it from both sides of the coin. I guess we just need to practice the script of 'I would like this appetizer as my meal, so please wait to bring it out until x gets their meal delivered!' xD

1 hour ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I havent lost all my weight yet but I wish someone pushed me to lose more weight pre op. My doctors made it seem like its not a big deal if I didnt lose weight before my surgery but I really wish i had lost more.

Is there a reason for wishing you lost more pre-op? I am just curious. I don't plan on slowing down, but my mother did just send me some girl scout Cookies, so I am definitely going to have another stall for a bit if I eat any. 😅

33 minutes ago, BoredFatGirl said:

Is there a reason for wishing you lost more pre-op? I am just curious. I don't plan on slowing down, but my mother did just send me some girl scout Cookies, so I am definitely going to have another stall for a bit if I eat any. 😅

I feel like if I lost more pre-op it would have helped me get to my goal faster. I'm aware we have a honey moon stage and after that the weight loss usually slows down so that's whats concerning me now.

I'm not in a rush to lose but it would have been nice to start at a lower weight like most folks on here. I've already lost over 100 but i have another 100 to lose which is a lot. I dont see a lot of people on here who started over 300 lbs

Ahhhhh girl scout cookies..soo good yet soo bad! I feel you lol Im currently staring at a batch of brownies one of my coworkers brought it :(

Edited by MarvelGirl25

17 minutes ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I feel like if I lost more pre-op it would have helped me get to my goal faster. I'm aware we have a honey moon stage and after that the weight loss usually slows down so that's whats concerning me now.

I'm not in a rush to lose but it would have been nice to start at a lower weight like most folks on here. I've already lost over 100 but i have another 100 to lose which is a lot. I dont see a lot of people on here who started over 300 lbs

Ahhhhh girl scout cookies..soo good yet soo bad! I feel you lol Im currently staring at a batch of brownies one of my coworkers brought it :(

That makes a lot of sense actually. I started at roughly 320lbs and am down to 277lbs.. I still need to lose at least 100lbs more. I hoped that it would magically disappear once I had surgery, but I do know that it slows down and then its back to being up to the person and their will power to keep it going from there. Thanks for the heads up!