Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

There is no need to be afraid of a bypass. Of course people are scared because surgery and general anesthesia with all the risks are involved. That's normal. That's also normal with plastics.

However, there is no need to be afraid of the bypass itself. What is supposed to be so different? Possible dumping? It seems to me that people highly exaggerate the possibility of dumping. The Vitamins? Well, sleeve patient should take them as well.

Every procedure has its complications. With the sleeve it's e. g. severe GERD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2020 at 1:09 AM, Christina.Rose said:

I have the sleeve. I had great success with it. However, I was having significant acid reflux. I went to my surgeon (I let it slide for a long time) Now I am being told that my acid is so bad that I am around 6mo out from cancer..... Barrett's esophagus. I'm really afraid of the bypass. I never wanted it. But she said if I don't get it, I am on the road to cancer. I have three lesions in my esophagus and I am inflamed. The example of the color of my esophagus was.... Healthy, the pink part of a nail bed....Me....USC MAROON. Also, after my endoscopy, my surgeon put me in to operate. That was a week before I spoke to her in person. She said it was better to book surgery and have me opt out. I'm scared. I know I need it. I wake up with my throat on fire, vomiting. Please, can someone help me make peace with the gastric bypass??

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app

Have you been scheduled for surgery yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had bypass best choice ever... I was hoping to get below 200 maybe 185 but I'm still losing weight today 172.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a revision on 3/9

I had a sleeve 8/2016. I lost 50 lbs. I had GERD before the sleeve but not too bad. The first 2 years after sleeve my GERD was nearly gone. BUT then it came back with a vengeance. It was awful, waking from sleep with bile in my throat, burning all day everyday, and the tightness in my chest. Top that off with a hernia and a fold in my sleeve. I started gaining weight back because crackers and bread were the only thing that made me feel better.My Dr gave me 2 choices, live with it, or do revision.

I lived with it for about 8 more months and could no longer do it. I was honestly afraid to do another surgery.

I am in week 6.5 post surgery, and am very disappointed at my weight loss so far. I lost 13 lbs, the first 3 weeks and only 1-3 the next 3 weeks. I'm only eating 700 cal a day an losing nothing. AND I have had days where I have some GERD. I am taking my meds and they help but I thought I would have none.

The biggest issue I have is the fear that I feel totally different. With my sleeve I felt full really quickly and knew when I was full. So far I feel like I can eat more, I haven't, but I feel like I will be able to. I don't get the same feeling.

My thought was that at least I'll lost weight after doing this again, but it doesn't seem like that will be happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, frozengrapes said:

I just had a revision on 3/9

I had a sleeve 8/2016. I lost 50 lbs. I had GERD before the sleeve but not too bad. The first 2 years after sleeve my GERD was nearly gone. BUT then it came back with a vengeance. It was awful, waking from sleep with bile in my throat, burning all day everyday, and the tightness in my chest. Top that off with a hernia and a fold in my sleeve. I started gaining weight back because crackers and bread were the only thing that made me feel better.My Dr gave me 2 choices, live with it, or do revision.

I lived with it for about 8 more months and could no longer do it. I was honestly afraid to do another surgery.

I am in week 6.5 post surgery, and am very disappointed at my weight loss so far. I lost 13 lbs, the first 3 weeks and only 1-3 the next 3 weeks. I'm only eating 700 cal a day an losing nothing. AND I have had days where I have some GERD. I am taking my meds and they help but I thought I would have none.

The biggest issue I have is the fear that I feel totally different. With my sleeve I felt full really quickly and knew when I was full. So far I feel like I can eat more, I haven't, but I feel like I will be able to. I don't get the same feeling.

My thought was that at least I'll lost weight after doing this again, but it doesn't seem like that will be happening.

1) most people do not lose weight nearly as quickly with a revision as they do with a "virgin" surgery

2) your nerves have been cut, so you may not feel full for awhile. Once they start regenerating, and once you're eating solid foods again (if you haven't started already), you should start feeling that again

3) are you on a PPI? A lot of us are on PPI's the first 3-6 months post-surgery, even with RNY (I was on it for a year, but that was before the bad press about them came out. i'm guessing my surgeon is now limiting it to a few months). There may be a chance the GERD will yet clear up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

1) most people do not lose weight nearly as quickly with a revision as they do with a "virgin" surgery

Depending on at what weight someone is there might not be much weight loss at all.

How much PPI are you taking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

How much PPI are you taking?

Did you mean me? I meant my surgeon had me take it for the first year post-surgery. I think it might have been 40 mg (20 in the morning and 20 in the evening). That was five years ago, before all the warnings came out about PPI's. I'm assuming he's not having them take it for as long now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I meant the OP.

40 mg seems to be quite common. I'm supposed to take 40 mg a day for 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, frozengrapes said:

I just had a revision on 3/9

I had a sleeve 8/2016. I lost 50 lbs. I had GERD before the sleeve but not too bad. The first 2 years after sleeve my GERD was nearly gone. BUT then it came back with a vengeance. It was awful, waking from sleep with bile in my throat, burning all day everyday, and the tightness in my chest. Top that off with a hernia and a fold in my sleeve. I started gaining weight back because crackers and bread were the only thing that made me feel better.My Dr gave me 2 choices, live with it, or do revision.

I lived with it for about 8 more months and could no longer do it. I was honestly afraid to do another surgery.

I am in week 6.5 post surgery, and am very disappointed at my weight loss so far. I lost 13 lbs, the first 3 weeks and only 1-3 the next 3 weeks. I'm only eating 700 cal a day an losing nothing. AND I have had days where I have some GERD. I am taking my meds and they help but I thought I would have none.

The biggest issue I have is the fear that I feel totally different. With my sleeve I felt full really quickly and knew when I was full. So far I feel like I can eat more, I haven't, but I feel like I will be able to. I don't get the same feeling.

My thought was that at least I'll lost weight after doing this again, but it doesn't seem like that will be happening.

VSG to RNY facts some may not know about prior conversion:

+ PPI may still be necessary for quite awhile for some

+ Weight loss may be SLOW, weight may remain the same (maintenance) and some people can even gain

+ Pyloric valve is not preserved/used as with VSG so full feeling may not be the same as previously

+ You can still succeed by sticking to the plan you and your team come up with

Good Luck ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am taking 40 mg 1x per day. I will be taking it for 6 months. I was taking it 2x a day before surgery.

I didn't expect to lose like the first time, but I did expect to lose something on 700 calories mostly Protein. If I gain I do not know how I would mentally handle that!! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

+ Pyloric valve is not preserved/used as with VSG so full feeling may not be the same as previously

You have experienced both. Do you feel a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, summerset said:

You have experienced both. Do you feel a difference?

Yes much less restriction than my VSG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, frozengrapes said:

I am taking 40 mg 1x per day. I will be taking it for 6 months. I was taking it 2x a day before surgery.

I didn't expect to lose like the first time, but I did expect to lose something on 700 calories mostly Protein. If I gain I do not know how I would mentally handle that!! :(

Give it your best efforts because now that the complications have been resolved its mostly up to you whether you succeed or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Yes much less restriction than my VSG

Didn't have thought so, given the fact that bypasses and sleeves have a fairly similar outcome regarding EWL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, summerset said:

Didn't have thought so, given the fact that bypasses and sleeves have a fairly similar outcome regarding EWL.

Just guessing but I always assumed its the different modalities of caloric restrictions that keep the numbers nearly the same but I think no one really knows because some people's BMRs seem reset to a higher threshold while others have it lowered.

I honestly feel sometimes that these revisions are like a third category of WLS with totally different expectations, outcomes, complications etc. than a virgin surgery.

But I also think it's not across the board as a rule that it will be different. But I have encountered a few people that have noticed it feels/works different than what they are used to from their initial surgery.

Also unless someone had a VSG first they likely do not know how that type of restriction feels compared to an initial RNY restriction. I don't have a clue what a virgin RNY is like but I know what a virgin VSG converted to RNY is like (to me) and that SUPER strong restriction disappeared (but its not an issue for me because I didn't need to lose more weight or count on it for controlling meal size) so I can see how it would be worrisome if someone was counting on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×