Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold 🥶 Feet 😬

Almost everybody goes through this feeling of "Why am I doing this?" It's normal to be a bit scared of the unknown. As far as the pain, most of mine was from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen so the surgeon can see what he's doing. But it passes fairly quickly, and you have some control over it by walking as much as you can.

Try not to let others instill fear in you. It's YOUR life, and your journey, and you want to live it in the healthiest and longest manner! Good luck and keep us posted!

2 hours ago, Love27 said:

I have had two c sections first one was an emergency and it was a little painful than the second so hopefully this surgery goes just like my past surgery’s. No complications and little pain. I guess I’m also scared because I saw a video about skipping Vitamins causing tooth loss and brittle bones, this also got me bc I’m not good at taking meds/vitamins. I’m forgetful. I appreciate all the support!

You absolutely can not forget to take your Vitamins. This is non negotiable. Set a reminder in your phone if needed. Do whatever it takes to make sure that you get your vitamins in. Otherwise you will have complications for sure.

i had emergency c section 39 years ago. It was so bad that I never had another child. I was in pain immediately after sleeve surgery but the pain was not even close to my c section. You will get through it :)

Edited by Losingit2018

One thing that you may want to ask your surgeon about is if they will numb your stomach before surgery. This was not done before my sleeve but was before revision to bypass. Huge difference in pain level.

I had pain for maybe 48 hours. Nothing unbearable, felt like someone beat up on my tummy. You’ll do great!

3 hours ago, glannin said:

My surgery is also on April 7th and I know I catch myself wondering if maybe this one time I could do it on my own? And also my bf is questioning me about having it done..I am full of emotions and such. I understand, but reading everything I can and working the steps and knowing that it will all work out in the end. I am 55 going to be 56 when I get the sleeve and I can't wait. I know I will be saying (just like everyone else) why didn't I do this sooner... just keep reaching out out everyone here on BP and they will help you. There is a thread in here called The Importance of doing the Head Work..It's great....totally check it out and keep in contact would love to hear how you are doing..we got this. And best of luck to you.. 🙂

Yeah it kinda brings me down when the people you love bring you down about it. My mother is my biggest supporter she is planning to care for me and take care of my kids. I know my husband is not 100% on board with little comments he makes. Called it the easy way out. 😞 I have struggled with my weight all my life. He says he supports me...

Edited by Love27

1 minute ago, Love27 said:

Yeah it kinda brings me down when the people you love bring you down about it. My mother is my biggest supporter she is planning to care for me and take care of my kids. I know my husband is not 100% on board with little comments he makes. Called it the easy way out. 😞 I have struggled with my weight all my life. He says he supports me...

it's not easy. Well, the first few months aren't bad, but once your hunger comes back, things get tougher. And now that I'm in maintenance, it's a daily struggle. If I'm not on it all the time, my weight starts heading north pretty fast.

21 minutes ago, Love27 said:

I hear you on the bringing me down thing...but you know I am like this is for me! And me alone, I am sorry you (you) are not happy with your life but this is what I want. I heard you really start to see everyone's true colors when they know this is what you did or planning on doing...but II am going full steam ahead and I can not wait. I just saw someone take the stairs and I was like that is going to be me very very soon..Rock on we got this 🙂

I backed out the first time after my husband talked me out of it and always regretted it. I just finally had it done a few weeks ago and I only had gas pain in my chest the first day. By the next day I was fine and I don’t feel like I even walked that much but I have been told I have a high pain tolerance. It may depend also on how good of a job the doctor does getting the gas out before closing you up. My incision pain was nothing, I never really felt pain there or in my stomach. The hardest part for me is giving up solid foods for so long afterwards and acid reflux, I have felt pretty hungry. I lost 20 before surgery and I’m already down 37 pounds total so I feel like it was the right decision for me. I’m having dry mouth pretty bad at night and I’m very tired from lack of food and caffeine but that will all pass as I reintroduce solids and I’ve heard the dry mouth goes away too.

You’ve got this! Remember to focus on the big picture & it will be worth it! I also think the pain is quickly forgotten. I’m on day 8 post-op & I’m feeling really good . I know how to get up & down, or pick up something without pain now. Yes, still healing, but what an opportunity to allow your body to rest and heal. The pain causes you to slow down & take care of yourself - how awesome is that ?! I never think I am that big, but obviously I’m big enough that surgery was a valuable tool. You’ve got this!!! I’ve not yet heard of anyone who has regretted this once they’ve healed. Don’t let fear stop you from making your health better- you are worth this!

Ahh wow! We could go through the journey together. Its nerve wracking. I'm so worried about the lose skin and how my body will change... I'm worried about it making me ill for years after. Doesnt help that I work in operating theatres and see when things go wrong either...

I'm 33, almost 16stone and probably around 5'6. The surgeon said that now I've lost abit of weight, that if I came now when I wouldnt qualify as my BMI isnt high enough, but he said from previous letters I do qualify so he will do it. I've tried and tried to do it on my own, I lose and then it doesnt stay off. Its hard and seems impossible that this is the only option. I dont want to look back when I'm older and wish that I did it sooner. I want to be able to do more with my kids etc.

How come your bf doesnt want you to have it done? Is he worried about the fact its surgery? Theres just me and the kids at home, so that worries me abit. Atleast you'll have him for support once its done🙂

Thank you for that page, I'll check it out when the kids are in bed and asleep so I get some peace lol. Keep in touch with me and let me know how you get on too. Are you in the UK? Do you have a 2 week meal plan for before surgery too? X

7 hours ago, Love27 said:

My surgery is exactly one week away and I’m starting to get cold feet I am starting to think if I really need this and if my weight is really that bad. I keep hearing from others that the first week is very very painful. Especially that I had someone close to me tell me that it’s not worth it I think this also is affect me.

Well, pain is very individual, and some people LOVE to talk about their pain way long after it is over. I have had bone fractures and other surgeries that were much more painful than gastric bypass. There is medication to help you. Childbirth is painful, too, but you soon forget the pain when you are holding a new life. Surgery gives you a new life and you soon put any pain/discomfort behind you.

I was getting cold feet before surgery and told my PCP that maybe I should just try it on my own ....... again. She said the best words ever, "If you could have done it on your own, you would have by now." So true.

Thank you for this thread and the reassuring input everyone has given. My surgery is Tuesday and I have also been having "cold feet". It feels great to know that you're not alone and so many wonderful people have your back, even when there are others who don't. We can do this!

The liquid diet two weeks before surgery was worse than the pain! To me, that was the “worse” part of the VGS surgery. My weight has been falling off since. I am 5 pant sizes down now. 375 before, 319 now. My surgery was 12/31/19.

10 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

💚If you've made it this far, you're committed & ready💚

(I personally knew I was not turning back after the barium swallow test 😂)

What is the barium test?

10 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Had bypass best decision ever.

lost 126lbs In under 5 months

congratulations!