Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I recently had my lap band infilled and now I’m swelling and bloated

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted in years but here I am because I’m frustrated and seeking help. I had the lap band surgery in 2007, lost over 100lbs and kept it off. Sure, I’ve had issues like the reflux a night, I’ve been so tight that nothing goes down not even Water, I’ve had to get completely unfilled and then gone back to get a little fill here and there. But I can’t seem to get the “right” fill? I’ll be ok for awhile and then I’m tight again?? So this time on Dec 23rd I was completely unfilled. It’s been 1 week and I’ve gained almost 20lbs and I’ve barely eaten anything?? I’m so bloated and gassy and uncomfortable it’s unreal?? My hands and legs and stomach are so bloated, I’m miserable! My doctor wants to scope me to check my band so I have to stay unfilled to do so. But THIS SUCKS!! Has this happened to anyone else?? I’m still restricted but I’m not over eating or eating bad at all?? Any advice to help with this swelling and bloating is welcomed. Thank you

I have just posted about this. Like you, I am a long-time bandster. Gas bloating and abdominal pain has been a serious problem for me for years. I have also removed 2 cc and gotten filled to a lower level. The bloating and abdominal pain have disappeared. But I have gained 25 pounds in 4 months and I am still gaining. Not sure what to do.

Maybe there's other health issues going on that you're not aware of. Maybe you need a complete checkup to find out what's going on. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had Fluid removed from my band when I got pregnant. I noticed that I had terrible gas pains and bloating. I attributed it to the pregnancy. I miscarried the pregnancy but never lost the gas and bloating. That was four years and 4 miscarriages ago. I feel it has to do with having the fluid removed from the band. I had most of the fluid put back in but later started having esophageal spasms and had to then have it all removed. I now have 4 of the 6 cc's back in. I'm going to get 1 more put in. But all thru this I never lost the horrible gas and bloating. Now we are assuming I have IBS but I think its funny how it all started when we started messing with the band.

Now my sister has also just had to have all her fluid removed. As soon as she did she started having horrible gas and bloating and gained 10 pounds in a week. She mentioned the gas to our surgeon but he acted like no one has ever had this issue. I am going to bring it up again to him next week.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:12 PM, TexasTRanch said:

I’m still restricted but I’m not over eating or eating bad at all?? Any advice to help with this swelling and bloating is welcomed. Thank you

I've observed many similar cycles in my own Fickle b***h Band. Not so much gas, certainly at times eating is way too easy then suddenly, no way you can swallow that....

I take a slow boat approach on finding ways to live with mine, as the only other choice is removal. My internist advises that may well lead to more trouble that the intermittent episodes I now have to ride out.

I was 'unfilled' as far as I can tell, about 5 years ago when a long series of studies by gastroenterologists (2 of them) discovered 'slow motility' and 'possible Barrett's syndrome'.....they advised if there was ANY satisfaction with the Band I should wait as removal was ......'unknown risk'.....

I'm sure the Band saved my life. I'm sure it improved my Life. Whether I'm unsatisfied NOW or not, is certainly affected by concerns of something even worse, as maybe 90% of the time I'm comfortable, even without losing more BMI.