Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Maryland Bandsters?

Hello Allheart!

Sorry for the rough start, but it sounds like you are doing much better now. I'm glad you posted. I've wondered how you were doing.

Sorry I'm no help w/ knowing of support groups near you. Maybe other Maryland banders will join in with sugestions.

Molly, this year I am going to get the last 20 pounds off. Losing weight is only half the battle. The one new thing will be learning to maintain the weight loss. It's easier said than done!

Hope you are all doing well today. I'm so thankful for this thread. Anyone interested in figuring out a central location to get together some weekend in Jan? I'm even up for staying over night if I have to.

On another note, went to my PCP today - blood pressure fine without meds. He said I can cut to 1/2 a pill of my anti-depressant in 2 weeks and then off in 4. This is so cool and is going to save a lot of $ - which I will spend on new clothes of course.:)

Next week I'm going to join the "Y" and go walk in the pool - I'm so excited :) since I will be able to go during the day when most people are at work while I'm recovering.

I thought I would post this because some others have eliminated or reduced their meds since being banded.

Two Monday's ago I went to my PCP, he chewed me out because I have not resumed my meds since my 11/09/07 surgery. I told him that I did not add the Metformin back because I was having low blood sugar dips pre-surgery and I have been testing and haven't needed to add it back. Plus,the pill is big and because it is time released, you are not supposed to crush it.

I also went off the Zocor cholesterol medicine. This really ticked him off because we had a bit of a battle over it to begin with. I told him I was trying to see how much of my cholesterol problems (which when I started total chol was 210, trig were really high, and the ratios of good and bad was way off), but all in all not a super serious cholesterol problem compared to some.

Anyway, six weeks after surgery and no medication, my A1c was 6.4 which is great, my daily numbers could be a bit lower right now but I have been cheating a little with the christmas Cookies. But, drum roll please, my cholesterol is down to 164, my bad cholesterol is only like two points to high. I was really excited by this. I felt like rubbing my doctors nose in it but I didn't, I know he only wants me to be healthy, and physicians are so programmed today to recommend a pill versus letting nature take its course.

Sorry, I have a habit of being long winded...

O, today is my birthday, officially 45. Hopefully this time next year, on my 46th birthday, maybe I will be somewhere snow-skiing or doing some thing active.

Take care...

When it comes to weight loss and health, maybe we should call them New Life Resolutions instead of New Years Resolutions.

But I think my New "Years" Resolutions will take the shape of something like this (I haven't got it all figured out yet, but this is what I am thinking):

January 2008: Walk at least 30 minutes every day on treadmill, work out with weights 2 times a week. Lose at least 10lbs in January. Fill out diet journal every date. Have at least two fun dates with my husband-no kids.

February 2008: Walk at least 45 minutes every day on tread mill, work out with weights 2 times a week. Lose at least 10lbs in February. Fill out diet journal every date. Have at least two fun dates with my husband-no kids.

March 2008: Walk at least 45 minutes every day on tread mill, work out with weights 2 times a week, and incorporate at least one yoga/stretching class/video a week. Lose at least 10lbs in March. Fill out diet journal every date.

Sometimes writing stuff down really helps you get results. I know setting goals (writing them down) and measuring my performance against my results at work really helps me get things done, figure out where I need to improve, and strategize methods of improving when I fall short on a task. Have at least two fun dates with my husband-no kids.

I think I need to put some time into thinking about this and making my plan for 2008.

What are you all going to do, for your new life and new year resolutions?

Hey there Maryland Bandsters!

I was looking on the Home Page page, and down at the bottom, there is a US Local Support Forum, and Maryland is posted there.

Do we want to move there and add threads there?

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I haven't been banded yet, but I'm hoping to have my surgery early next year. I have my consultation scheduled with Dr. Singh for January 17 and I've been following the 6 month diet my insurance company requires. I have to do the diet until February and then my insurance should be a go. I'd love to connect with some locals to help me with this new journey!

I am also a patient of Dr. Singh, and had my next-to-last weigh-in today. One more and I am done! Then some paperwork goes to my PCP, and back to Singh's office, then they submit to insurance. I am hoping for a date sometime in February. My BMI is about 37/38, but I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, GERD (reflux), knee arthritis, and probably something else I can't think of, so I don't envision being denied but anything is possible. My biggest problem post-op will be learning to eat slowly and chew. I inhale my food! If you can, I would recommend coming to the support group even before surgery. I have learned a lot from them. In January they are having Lapband only support on the 3rd Wed of the Month. First Wed is for RNY's, but Cathy said we can still come if the topic is of interest or whatever. It really helps to talk to people at all stages of banding. Hope to see you there.:scared:

I thought I ate fast until I met my husband (11 years ago). He used to shovel several bites into their mouths, chew twice and then swallow. It is kind of disgusting (I am so glad he does not read these posts).

Anyway, even though I am not yet restricted (no fills yet). I am practicing. Our new rules at the dinner table are as follows: take a bite, I chew 30 times (my husband and daughter need to chew at least 10 times), we put the fork down between bites, and we talk in between bites. And, if my husband or daughter want seconds, they have to wait 15 minutes to get seconds. I know it sounds rather Nazi-like, but it is helping.

Now I have to figure out how to slow down when we are on the run. Anyone have any ideas about eating slowly on the run?

Hey Marylanders!

Anyone planning on attending the lap-band support group on January 16th at St Agnes?

I am for sure. I received my first fill today... Yikes, I am so afraid of needles. I was thinking as he whipped out the three inch needle, "why in the hell did I pick a weight loss tool that requires me to be stuck with a big honking needle every so often?"

Dr. Singh was great though. Apparently I received the "new" band called the Allergan/Inamed AP band that can fit up to 14cc. I thought my first fill would be 1cc, oh no, he put 5cc's in it. I can't wait to see how it goes. I am on two days of liquids now. My stomach hurts a little tonight, but I am a big cry baby.

How is everyone doing in 2008? Lets connect if you decide to go to the support group.

Molly,

Pick one thread, or start a new one where we can all meet. Multiple threads are too confusing. Which one are we using?

I agree, threads in different places can be confusing...

The reason I suggested us moving is because Alex has overhauled this site. On th home page, as you scroll down, they have a sub-section called Lap-Band Support Groups, and under that is a main forum called Local Lap-Band Support Groups which is organized by country and then state.

I thought this would be a good place for us to meet others from Maryland who come onto the site, AND it looks like some of these folks are organized, sometimes having group events.

Maybe if we all go other there, we can abandon this thread.

Goodness, I hope my post didn't come off as a criticism. It really wasn't meant that way. I appreciate you trying to get something started. I know the site was overhauled, and about the Maryland board. Terrisita and some of the others have been on there for quite some time. Most of their meetings have been down toward the Washington area. I never went because it just too far. It seems to me that the threads kind of come in spurts, then die out (with many newbies). There were only a few "regulars". I'm excited to find others closer to the Baltimore area. I vote we jump over there and all connect. Thanks, Molly!

Luv2smile,

My very best wishes to you for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery. I see your ticker. Two pounds GONE FOREVER. Tuesday is the first day of the rest of your life. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Kim