Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Maryland Bandsters?

Hey allaboutme! I'm a DBC'er too! I absolutely have the greatest respect for Delmarva Bariatric Center, their program is so thorough and I've had such great success there. I don't know if I could've done as well had I not been required to follow a one year structured program like theirs.

I'm struggling right now because my last fill has kicked in and I am way too tight! I know if I called the office tonight that someone would probably come in over this weekend but I think I'll survive until Monday. Ugh, I never want to be this tight again!

Anyway, I'm from Maryland too for those of you unfamiliar with Delmarva Bariatric! Hi fellow Marylanders!

Yeah, I love Dr. Mike and the program. It has really made a difference in my life. Do you go to the gym in Salisbury? You have done wonderful. I am in the race...... My last fill is great. I am not sure if it is my sweet spot or not. We will see...

Yeah, they would come in and unfill you if you called. That's what i love about them. They are in the gym and on the message board everyday. You can talk to them any time. Never met a doctor like that. Working out right beside you...

I am so thankful for them.

Mary

Hi Marylanders. I'm from Cecil County and am working toward an end of December band date. It's nice to know that you are all so close by. I began the lapband Quest about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Everyone told me it would take months to get things rolling but I three weeks I've had my consult, psych clearance, cardio clearance, pulmonary clearance pending a sleep study, and almost done with classes. Endoscope scheduled for next Monday. If that checks out, I think I'm good to go. I'm hoping to get banded the week between Christmas and New Year's. Question - how long after banding can you go back to work? I cleared my schedule for first two weeks in Jan - I'm thinking the liquids will be difficult to manage at first - but then again, I have to do 2 weeks Optifast pre op so I guess I'll be used to it. Anyone have experience with Optifast?

Thanks for your feedback!!! Allheart

Hi, I live in VA, but I am kind of a Marylander. I spend a lot of time at my condo in Ocean City and plan to live there when I retire in a few years. I guess I should look into the Delmara Bariatic Center for future reference.

All Heart:

I had surgery on Wednesday, August 29 and went back to work on the following tuesday. My doctor said i could go back on monday but it was labor day and we were off. No problems for me. I guess it depends on what kind of job you have. I had problems getting in and out of bed for awhile. Kinda almost sat up in bed to sleep and my husband put a step on my side. That made it alot easier to get in and out of.

I am sure you will do fine.

Mary

Hi Allheart:

I live in Crofton, MD...had surgery on Fri 9/21 and took the following week off....by the following Wednesday, I was planting fall flowers....I bypassed the pain prescription given by the surgeon and just used liquid Tylenol and was driving in 2 days....

Good luck!

Hey Sarah. I have had the procedure. If you have any specific questions, I am sure anyone on this thread who have been banded for a couple of months would be a wealth of info and willing to answer your questions. You can send a private message or post it here and I am sure you will get a ton of responses.

I have been banded for nearly a month (banded 11/09/07). I have lost 21.5lbs so far to include the pre-op diet. I sort of feel that I should have lost more than this, but it is not uncommon for folks to gain weight in the first couple of weeks of being banded. I gained 7 of the 9lbs I had lost after surgery, that was disappointing but it came back off pretty quickly.

I think the pre-op diet really helps you figure out the liquid phase prior to it being an absolute necessity. Even if your doctor does not require that you do a pre-op diet, many folks believe that is it very beneficial because you have to figure out the Protein sources you will be practically living on in the beginning. Also, once you master liquids in the first two weeks, it makes weeks two through four post-op easier because you know what to expect.

My surgery went well, but I have problems with anesthesia so I was pretty quisey for a good time after surgery. The first three days were rough for me, but on the fourth day post op I could move without a lot of pain. I took three week off of work. Realistically I could have gone back after about 5 days, but I had the time and hate my job so it was an easy decision.

I will write more later. I have to go and figure out what clothes I will wear to work tomorrow.

Hi fellow marylanders

I am from baltimore county (Randallstown/owings mills area) but moved to cecil co. (elkton) last year. I will be banded on Dec. 21, so right around the corner. I am really nervous and excited and look forward to reading about everybodies experiences and very soon sharing my own.

Corinne

Thank you MollyBrown for starting this thread and for all your feedback everyone. Hopefully I'll get a surgery date this week. Allheart

Hi Sarah! Welcome to the boards! How did your doctor visit go? Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. My lap band journey link is below. It pretty much tells everything (the good and the bad) about how things have gone for me. This surgery is the BEST thing I have ever done for me.

Welcome Mary! I loved it when you said that lap band is a marathon and not a sprint. That is so true! I think there are lots of people out there who think they will see the results instantly like the gastric bypass patients, and then become discouraged when the weight comes off slowly. I have been at this for 20 months now, and I still have 20 more pounds to lose. I think losing slowly has helped me make permanent lifestyle changes. It has also helped my head to catch up with my body. Thinking like a thin person is really tough for alot of banders. I am still struggling with this, though it is getting better than it was. Only a few weeks ago I was waiting in line to use the ladies room.

When it was my turn, I felt anxious because the next open stall was not the handicap one. I hesitated for a few moments, and then finally thought "oh yeah, I can fit in a regular stall now". I do that kind of thing all the time!

Welcome AllHeart! Welcome! Let us know when you get your band date!

Hi Corrine! We just moved last year from Granite (near Randalstown) to Lutherville, so we did live near each other. December 21st is right around the corner. You're going to do great, though your Christmas dinner this year isn't going to be very yummy. By spring you will have lost a few sizes, and Christmas dinner will be long forgotten. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Hi all,

I'm just curious...where did everyone get banded or going to get banded at? I went to GBMC and it seems that I'm amoung the minority in MD going there.

How is everyone handling the holidays? I've been quite surprised how disinterested I've been in eating. I still have that crazy desire to bake xmas Cookies until my oven blows up. I do this every year. The only saving grace is that I make sure I bake Cookies I don't like and then I give them all away!! sounds crazy but its my thing!

Thanks KimInMd for your encouragement. I got a tentative surgery date today for 12/21 - I can't believe it is so close. I need to work tomorrow on getting my sleep study move up so I can get it done by my pre-op with my surgeon on 12/13. I scheduled my 1-1 with the bariatric coordinator and nutritionist on 12/14 and am going to call the hospital to schedule my intake/labs, etc. for the same day. I start Optifast on Saturday with only Protein Shakes until surgery. I can hardly believe that after battling obesity and dieting since I was 7 years old, it is actually going to work this time. It's kind of sureal - I fell like I'm looking outside of myself at another person's life. Well, I better get to bed - big "to do" list for tomorrow during breaks at work. Have a restful night everyone. :-)

Congrats on your surgery date. The time will fly and it will be here before you know it. I can't believe that this weekend marks the 8 month mark from when I started my Optifast pre-op diet. The time really goes by quickly. The lapband is an amazing tool and I'm so excited that I was given this opportunity. It has worked very well for me. I have so much energy now and I amazed myself last night when I was running (yeah...you heard right...RUNNING) on my treadmill. I'm just beside myself. I wish everyone the best of luck. Keep going with the journey!!! It is definitely worth it.

Hi everyone, well I went to the doctor's yesterday and it's official. I lost 13 lbs in the last month. WOW is all I can say. I'm very happy about that. He actually said it was more than he wanted me to lose in a month. WHAT???

Anyway, I'm going to listen to him because he's the doctor. I'll try to slow it down a bit. Although you cannot wipe the smile off of my face today. Real hope is on the horizon of weight loss. FINALLY!!!!:clap2: