Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you can no longer tolerate

I am 4 weeks post op and curious about foods that some of you can no longer tolerate.
I have found that most dairy and Pasta makes me regurgitate about 20 minutes after eating.
Should I expect this long term ?

Stay away from the Pasta, bread, rice & other carbohydrate heavy foods. They fill up your tiny tummy, often swell more and you won’t get in any of your necessary nutrient rich food. It’s possibly why you’re vomiting.

The number one rule is get your Protein in first.

Six months out and at goal, I struggle to eat half to 3/4 cup of food at a time on a good day and that’s my required protein & a small amount of vegetables.

Developing a lactose intolerance is common for many post surgery. I’ve been the reverse & my insensitivity has reduced.

My surgery turned me into a goat I can tolerate anything.. I am eating (and liking) foods I would never touch prior to surgery. Foods such as salmon, cottage cheese, oatmeal ect,. Hang in there ,you may be able to tolerate those foods and then some. Everyone is different.

lactose intolerance after surgery is common, but sometimes people are able to tolerate dairy again once they get a few months out. I know a lot of long-timers who still can't tolerate Pasta even years later - but it's not a great nutritional choice, so it's just as well. eggs are also something that a lot of people can't handle the first few months (but most can eventually tolerate them again once they're a little ways out...)

at 4.5 years out, I can't eat a lot of greasy food at one sitting. I can eat *some* fried food, but not much. Like I could probably eat one egg roll, but that's it. I used to go out for fish fries a lot pre-surgery, but there's no way I could do that anymore. I'd feel like hell afterward! Or Reuben sandwiches - I was super sick after eating one and don't even try anymore - TOO MUCH FAT! Raw vegetables still occasionally irritate my stomach, but not always. But sometimes I eat them exactly for that reason - in hopes they'll irritate my stomach so I'll stop mindless snacking (if I was snacking on the raw veggies, of course, it wouldn't matter - but I meant snacking on junk. I'll sometimes switch to raw vegetables because they'll sometimes irritate my stomach enough that there's no way I want to eat anything else....). I also can't eat a ton of sugar at one sitting - but something like a cookie works (not a good choice, of course, but they don't bother my system). If I eat too much sugar, I don't feel well. I don't dump, but I just feel like crap if I overdo sugar.

I followed my doctor's strict guidelines. So didn't t try questionable foods like lettuce or a cracker until 6 months. I got really sick from oatmeal around 6 months but I think it was too thick and got stuck. It was bad enough that I still haven't tried it again and have no plans to ever try it. Around 8 months I started trying pretty much everything. However I have only literally had 1 bite of regular ice cream, a tiny Halloween size candy bar, one piece of bread, 1/4 cup of noodles etc. at a time. I tolerate a variety of foods but don't want to try a large amount and get sick. I still haven't tried cake with icing, soda, or alcohol and have no plans to. I have only had a few grains of rice that were stuck to chicken and was worried that would cause an issue but it was fine. I am pretty scared to push the limits.

During a group session with my bariatric surgeon someone mentioned that he was exploring new things that he could eat after surgery. The nutritionist asked him why was he exploring new things to eat when he should be learning what foods to stay away from. She said you got this surgery to get a new way of life as it pertains to your eating why are you looking to test your new stomach with foods that have harmed you in the past. She said get in your Proteins, Water and Vitamins and you'll not only lose the weight, you'll be more healthier and you'll have a better chance of maintaining the weight loss. People who experiment and try to work around their surgery have a much greater chance of weight regain. This is not what you wanted when you got the surgery.

I tend to agree with her on many points such as getting your proteins first, hydrating (you can't go wrong drinking water) and taking Vitamin supplements. At 4 weeks out I was on pureed food going into soft foods. I stuck to the menu I was given since it was the start off point for my future eating. I was afraid of exploring foods because I knew that I would go back to my old bad eating habits very fast. I got the needed reset in my food consumption and with the weight loss and better health I see the benefits of not exploring foods as the nutritionist puts it.

10 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I still haven't tried cake with icing, soda, or alcohol and have no plans to

Like 2Bsmaller said, I have no plans to try these foods.

I’m not sure I agree with this assessment by the nutritionist. Most people got to be obese by eating many non-healthy foods. For some, “new foods” might comprise healthy food they’ve never tried. I think trying out new healthy foods is smart, to replace poor choices, and a broad variety of options probably makes weight loss more sustainable. My current staple foods include a few things I’d never had before surgery. Perhaps the nutritionist was talking about unhealthy choices?

boiled okra. :D

Ok, and sugar, high glycemic carbs, and heavy fat, full fat cheeses, too many nuts or nut butters, fatty meat, fatty rich foods/casseroles.

CHICKEN! FUNNY thing is i loved chicken prior to wls.

No carbs period for me - Get sick right away.

10 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

During a group session with my bariatric surgeon someone mentioned that he was exploring new things that he could eat after surgery. The nutritionist asked him why was he exploring new things to eat when he should be learning what foods to stay away from. She said you got this surgery to get a new way of life as it pertains to your eating why are you looking to test your new stomach with foods that have harmed you in the past. She said get in your Proteins, Water and Vitamins and you'll not only lose the weight, you'll be more healthier and you'll have a better chance of maintaining the weight loss. People who experiment and try to work around their surgery have a much greater chance of weight regain. This is not what you wanted when you got the surgery.

I tend to agree with her on many points such as getting your Proteins first, hydrating (you can't go wrong drinking water) and taking Vitamin supplements. At 4 weeks out I was on pureed food going into soft foods. I stuck to the menu I was given since it was the start off point for my future eating. I was afraid of exploring foods because I knew that I would go back to my old bad eating habits very fast. I got the needed reset in my food consumption and with the weight loss and better health I see the benefits of not exploring foods as the nutritionist puts it.

Like 2Bsmaller said, I have no plans to try these foods.

I love this, Danny. I actually agree with EVERYTHING she said! If you're just gonna go back to the old relationships that got you to the Obesity Ball in the first place, then why have the surgery which is designed to give us a brief window of opportunity to reshape our relationship with food while limiting stomach volume, and resetting some hormones that CAN be forked over YET AGAIN if we're not careful. Why do that to yourself? If it wasn't for a brand new second chance at life?

At living a HEALTHY life?

I'm no angel. I aim for 100% compliance and know that at best, I will only realize 80-90% compliance success. But even then, because of the reprogramming, I was able to reach my goal. I have successfully maintained for the past few months (early days yet). And I ask myself, is X Food/Drink worth the price I will pay tomorrow? Every bite we take is shaping our life tomorrow and next week, even next month. Or next year. We're either killing ourselves with each bite, or healing ourselves.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

that got you to the Obesity Ball in the first place,

Ok we need to make T-Shirts for this Statement - I damm near pee'd when i read this!

Stay away from the Pasta, bread, rice & other carbohydrate heavy foods. They fill up your tiny tummy, often swell more and you won’t get in any of your necessary nutrient rich food. It’s possibly why you’re vomiting.
The number one rule is get your Protein in first.
Six months out and at goal, I struggle to eat half to 3/4 cup of food at a time on a good day and that’s my required protein & a small amount of vegetables.

Developing a lactose intolerance is common for many post surgery. I’ve been the reverse & my insensitivity has reduced.

Yea I have become lactose intolerant. I delclare!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have not had any real milk. I wasn't a big milk drinker before surgery. I now use Fairlife milk if recipes call for it, or on oatmeal, it tastes like real milk to me!

22 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

I have not had any real milk. I wasn't a big milk drinker before surgery. I now use Fairlife milk if recipes call for it, or on oatmeal, it tastes like real milk to me!

Fairlife is real milk! Just really ultra filtered.

11 minutes ago, lvidacovich said:

Fairlife is real milk! Just really ultra filtered.

We were out this weekend and didn't have time for lunch so we stopped at a Circle K to get fresh brewed Decaf. Instead of half n half (to me = empty cals), I found the Fairlife CorePower chocolate milk in their fridge and so I used that for Creamer instead. 170cals; 26g protein; 7g carbs; 5g sugar (lactose=milk sugars).

image.png.9de6b5cb0e75a6c59f62eec949163a69.png

image.png.9823b5bdb35975925cc7ccf4461a593b.png

Here's Premier's nutrition panel:

image.png.753ae5140915b869efbba3237120d7cc.png

It's not so world-breaking diff! And the taste was Just. Like. Chocolate. Milk. Seriously. Hold me.

Edited by FluffyChix