Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@mediocreoblongata I am also a nurse. If you're 6 weeks post-op and Water hurts, I would strongly encourage you to contact your doctor's office. At least give them a call. What's the worst that could happen? They tell you that this is normal and to try X-Y-Z?

You said you've tried warm and room temperature water, which would have been something I would have suggested had you not mentioned it. Cold water tends to "shock" the stomach and can cause a bit of a contraction and possible spasm. I honestly don't think that flavoring is going to make a difference.

I never had pain with water, regardless of temperature. I'm an avid hot tea drinker and I sipped tea from the time I got home (unsweetened). I found cold items just as soothing in those early days, but I didn't have a lot of them. We're talking maybe 2 ounces of Jello or frozen Isopure (made like Italian ice).

What's 2 oz of Jello like a 1/2 cup ? 38 hrs post op ! and home ! 2 4 6 8, think billy bob 1/4 1/2 3/4 1. It's the drugs. lol

Edited by Billy Bob

1 hour ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I am 6 weeks post op, as of yesterday, from GB rny. I haven’t touched any type of NSAID, I’m a nurse so I at least know not to do that. It’s Water specifically that hurts. Like my stomach muscle spasms. I’m going to experiment with adding flavors to the Water and maybe that will help?

NO NO NO NSAIDS POST OP EVER !....unless you want to bleed and ulcerate. :(

8 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

What's 2 oz of Jello like a 1/2 cup ? 38 hrs post op ! and home !

1 cup is 8 Fluid ounces

1/2 cup is 4 fluid ounces

1/4 cup is 2 fluid ounces

1/4 cup is what I used last night and it felt ok. Thank you

omg NO aleve!! only tylenol extra strength

I didn't have to give up NSAIDs after my bypass--only because I gave them up several years ago! They were giving me ulcers even with a normal stomach. So when the doc told me "no NSAIDs" I just laughed.

Have you tried sugar free popsicles? When I couldn't drink Water I'd eat those, and they were helpful.

On 12/06/2019 at 11:46, JRT Mom said:

I didn't have to give up NSAIDs after my bypass--only because I gave them up several years ago! They were giving me ulcers even with a normal stomach. So when the doc told me "no NSAIDs" I just laughed.

Have you tried sugar free popsicles? When I couldn't drink Water I'd eat those, and they were helpful.

Yes popsicles do work and I don’t get pain from them but I crave Water so I know I’m probably verging on possibly getting dehydrated. I still get 64 ounces of water in a day but it hurts to do so. My drs office thinks I’m taking too big of gulps. But it’s even when I take small sips.

Do other liquids go ok like milk? If so maybe it's the pH?? My local grocery store sells alkaline Water in a gallon for $4. Maybe try that?

On 12/06/2019 at 13:06, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Do other liquids go ok like milk? If so maybe it's the pH?? My local grocery store sells alkaline Water in a gallon for $4. Maybe try that?

Couldn’t hurt to try.

I'm 4 months out and it doesn't hurt so much as feel like the first mouthful is a lead brick I have just swallowed. I dread having my meds when I wake up because of how uncomfortable it feels. It is like something heavy sitting there a bit of a spasm and then crazy gurgling/churning. :wacko:

If you are taking sips from a big glass I wonder if you ate sipping more than you realize. Do you have any shot glasses or a liquid medicine cup? Maybe try filling one up half way and sip from that so you can see if you can tolerate a half ounce, 1 oz etc. set a timer and refill it every 10 or 15 minutes.
you buy the premade sugar free Jello containers and “eat” a spoonful but almost let it melt in your mouth too.

5 hours ago, Bastian said:

I'm 4 months out and it doesn't hurt so much as feel like the first mouthful is a lead brick I have just swallowed. I dread having my meds when I wake up because of how uncomfortable it feels. It is like something heavy sitting there a bit of a spasm and then crazy gurgling/churning. :wacko:

Maybe you have scaring stricture and need a balloon job or stenting ? I would talk to my doc. I'm 4 days out and having no problem getting 64 oz all types of liquid daily .

Water was really hurting my stomach too and plain water still does. I have found that when I add flavors to my water it helps a lot. Also warm Decaf tea helps too. I drink it with no sugar or anything. The warmth helps a lot

On 12/08/2019 at 20:09, smahan said:

Water was really hurting my stomach too and plain Water still does. I have found that when I add flavors to my water it helps a lot. Also warm Decaf tea helps too. I drink it with no sugar or anything. The warmth helps a lot

Yes, that is what I found out over the weekend as well. Adding flavors helped make it go in a whole lot easier.