Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I have a hard time getting all of the 48-64 ounces of Water down mainly because it hurts when it hits my stomach. I have tried warm liquids, room temperature water but it still hurts when it hits my stomach. Is that something anyone else has had happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I couldn’t handle Water until 3 weeks out. Gatorade zero Cold was a god send and it’s just the swelling in your stomach that hasn’t subsided. But try the drink and Aleve my doctor said that’s what we can use for the pain. But don’t sip try to let the smallest of the sip like if your not drinking anything and wetting your mouth that worked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Isabelmonster said:

But try the drink and Aleve my doctor said that’s what we can use for the pain.

Do not take Aleve!!!! Unless your doc says SPECIFICALLY you can have it! Aleve is an NSAID and most of us (RNY OR VSG) are told no NSAIDS forever. (I do know of some exceptions but they've been rare.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water sucks! I to this day struggle - Just slow and easy is all i can do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Do not take Aleve!!!! Unless your doc says SPECIFICALLY you can have it! Aleve is an NSAID and most of us (RNY OR VSG) are told no NSAIDS forever. (I do know of some exceptions but they've been rare.)

My doc said get the sleeve if you want to take NSAID and I was sent home from surgery (!) with a script for ibuprofen and told to alternate with tylenol for pain. So it's kinda all over the place haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lvidacovich said:

My doc said get the sleeve if you want to take NSAID and I was sent home from surgery (!) with a script for ibuprofen and told to alternate with tylenol for pain. So it's kinda all over the place haha

Holy hell! I swear my doc won't let any of her patients have NSAIDS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Holy hell! I swear my doc won't let any of her patients have NSAIDS!

No clue. We also don't have a pre-op liquid diet for 2 weeks and I was on my normal diet after 4 weeks post-op. Maybe my surgeon is just progressive? haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Holy hell! I swear my doc won't let any of her patients have NSAIDS!

@FluffyChix I was told the same by my DR office. NEVER to take NSAIDS again. I even had to stop them a couple months before my surgery was scheduled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Rckc270 said:

@FluffyChix I was told the same by my DR office. NEVER to take NSAIDS again. I even had to stop them a couple months before my surgery was scheduled.

That's 100% correct for bypass patients. Sleeve patients seem to be on the fence depending on the doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Rckc270 said:

I even had to stop them a couple months before my surgery was scheduled.

Me2!! And when I did my pre-op they asked me about 3 times how long it had been since I last took my NSAIDS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Holy hell! I swear my doc won't let any of her patients have NSAIDS!

my clinic doesn't allow NSAIDs for any of their patients, either - regardless of which surgery they get

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mediocreoblongata you didn't say how far out from surgery you are and your profile is incomplete. It's pretty normal in the immediate post-op phase to have trouble getting your fluids in. You're healing. Take it slow, sip, do not gulp or try to get in large amounts at one sitting. Sip throughout the day. If you're more than 6 weeks post-op and it hurts to drink Water, you may want to contact your doctor.

Regarding the NSAID debate: For both my Lap Band and my Sleeve, I was told no NSAIDS. That being said, the doctor also said that after 6 months out, an OCCASIONAL NSAID will not cause permanent damage. It's the routine taking of NSAIDS that cause cumulative problems. Also, they are more damaging when taken on an empty stomach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I have a hard time getting all of the 48-64 ounces of Water down mainly because it hurts when it hits my stomach. I have tried warm liquids, room temperature Water but it still hurts when it hits my stomach. Is that something anyone else has had happen?

Yes. every sip hurts. I found standing or walking helps. 1 day post op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2019 at 05:54, S@ssen@ch said:



@mediocreoblongata you didn't say how far out from surgery you are and your profile is incomplete. It's pretty normal in the immediate post-op phase to have trouble getting your fluids in. You're healing. Take it slow, sip, do not gulp or try to get in large amounts at one sitting. Sip throughout the day. If you're more than 6 weeks post-op and it hurts to drink Water, you may want to contact your doctor.




Regarding the NSAID debate: For both my Lap Band and my Sleeve, I was told no NSAIDS. That being said, the doctor also said that after 6 months out, an OCCASIONAL NSAID will not cause permanent damage. It's the routine taking of NSAIDS that cause cumulative problems. Also, they are more damaging when taken on an empty stomach.


I am 6 weeks post op, as of yesterday, from GB rny. I haven’t touched any type of NSAID, I’m a nurse so I at least know not to do that. It’s Water specifically that hurts. Like my stomach muscle spasms. I’m going to experiment with adding flavors to the water and maybe that will help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I am 6 weeks post op, as of yesterday, from GB rny. I haven’t touched any type of NSAID, I’m a nurse so I at least know not to do that. It’s Water specifically that hurts. Like my stomach muscle spasms. I’m going to experiment with adding flavors to the Water and maybe that will help?

Also, continue varying the temperature. And if water doesn't work, then you know, try ANYTHING liquid just to make 64oz. It all adds up! Even popsicles and ice chips. Right? Even broth helps. I know that warm liquids were better for me than cold--even at almost 22months out. But I can drink like a champ and have been able to since the get-go.

Are you having any other issues with solid food? You are about the time that strictures make themselves known.

Also are you taking a PPI?

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SabrinaGoddess

      6 Weeks Post Op!

      My world is drastically different! I now walk 3 to 4 miles a day and I’m constantly getting up to move my body! .

      I close my Apple Watch rings daily and about 4 to 6 days a week I double or triple them!

      I have been released to have all foods. When I reintroduce some I need to start at 1 ounce to see how “Tiny Tummy” likes it!

      I am not reintroducing sugars, coffee or junk! I did not pay close to $13,000 to fail! .

      I went to get follow up bloodwork done this week and my numbers are all in the perfect range! .

      This is my new world and I am happy it!

      · 3 replies
      1. Poergierm

        http://oddershedelorentzen42.xtgem.com/

      2. Niz

        https://eggharborfesthaus.com/proton-pack-storage-rack.html

      3. Arabesque

        Congratulations. It’s a great feeling when the weight disappears & you can start to do so much more. 😁

    • ms.sss

      @DaisyChainOz, @Arabesque ... am totally thinking of both of you this very moment as I watch the final set of the Millman-Federer match at the AO... I am riveted and literally screaming at the TV...
      · 3 replies
      1. ms.sss

        BEST. TIEBREAK. EVER.

      2. DaisyChainOz

        haha unfortunately I missed it! Glad you enjoyed though :D

      3. Arabesque

        I didn’t see it either but I wish I had now for both the battle on court & the ball tampering accusations flying around everywhere now.

    • OutbackJo

      Has anyone had a gastric sleeve revision? 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mousiana

      Hate thinking about foods I used to love... Burgers & wings. Gotta stay focused. 😤
      · 2 replies
      1. WilliamZef

        https://gayxxx24.com - GayXXX Free Gay Porn Movies & Videos Free Gay XXX - Gay XXX.

      2. Lyndor

        Think about all you will gain. Seriously, nothing is better than my size 4 jeans!

    • Arabesque

      Went to see the Star Wars movie yesterday. (Glad I waited as no one else was in the cinema for the midday session - yes!) Hadn’t been to the cinema for a few months and OMG I suffered the most terrible butt pain.  So uncomfortable. Started after 30 mins. Was in the premium cinema so grabbed a cushion to sit on but it didn’t help. Ended up sitting sideways in the chair, stretched out on an ottoman. Soooo super glad no one else was there. Sometimes I do miss my old butt fat cushioning... but not really. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Panda333

        ha..I have that issue too.....miss my built in pillow!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×