Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date

On 01/19/2020 at 17:49, BadWolfGirl said:

We made a ton of homemade broths so I made a lot of Soups - some just broth and flavors and some pureed and some with veggies - basically some for each stage of post op.

Also anything I've been making for dinner lately, I've been putting some in small containers and labeling it for what week I can have it. Figure each container will get me through 1-3 meals. So far I've stocked away chicken and broccoli bake, carnita cauliflower rice bowls, teriyaki salmon burgers with grilled pineapple, spinach and feta crustless quiches.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Omg that sound so yummy!!!! Great idea to stash away when you cook!!!!

Just now, sarahSingh91 said:

I made the Shelly ricotta bake it is delicious. I also made ham and egg cups. And broths.
Idk what you mean not that it matters your getting the sleeve? Sorry kind of light headed lol :)

First, I hope you feel better and the lightheaded feeling is due to your recovery. I mentioned the sleeve, because I know some ppl may be getting the Rny and have a different dietary plan. I plan on making the Ricotta Bake, I can find the recipe online I'm sure. I also plan on having my version of refried Beans and ground Turkey bake, a new creation pictures to come.

On 01/19/2020 at 18:58, Krimsonbutterflies said:

First, I hope you feel better and the lightheaded feeling is due to your recovery. I mentioned the sleeve, because I know some ppl may be getting the Rny and have a different dietary plan. I plan on making the Ricotta Bake, I can find the recipe online I'm sure. I also plan on having my version of refried Beans and ground Turkey bake, a new creation pictures to come.

Omg yes please send pics. I need some ideas for refried Beans. I have them and also black beans and red kidney beans but I haven’t thought of how to use them yet. Yea lightheaded is just a thing now lol yea know. It’s great. Yea see I knew there was a reason about the sleeve but I couldn’t piece it together lol I think my dietary plan might be different also because my surgeon just does things differently we where never on a clear liquid diet after surgery (except in the hospital the first couple hours) And our first week we can have anything we can strain? So Soups, smoothies etc and then we go to soft foods no puréed stage and work out way up. They kind of use a texture scale thing.
But soft food include like egg whites, beans, cottage cheese, ricotta etc

Omg and I also saw a cheeseburger pie :/ I may be trying in the future

Also the Baritastic app has great ideas!!!!!

On 01/19/2020 at 21:09, sarahSingh91 said:

Omg yes please send pics. I need some ideas for refried Beans. I have them and also black Beans and red kidney beans but I haven’t thought of how to use them yet. Yea lightheaded is just a thing now lol yea know. It’s great. Yea see I knew there was a reason about the sleeve but I couldn’t piece it together lol I think my dietary plan might be different also because my surgeon just does things differently we where never on a clear liquid diet after surgery (except in the hospital the first couple hours) And our first week we can have anything we can strain? So Soups, smoothies etc and then we go to soft foods no puréed stage and work out way up. They kind of use a texture scale thing.

So great that you didn’t have to do two or three weeks of the liquid diet post surgery. I find that constantly sipping liquids seems to be reinforcing my habit of constantly putting something in my mouth and I’m ready to get on a eating schedule that will help reinforce new eating habits. Really strange that every doctor has different guidelines but that all say we must follow their diet plan if we want to have success with healing. My surgeon even wrote a book titled Weightloss for Dummies-yep, it’s a legitimate “for dummies” book and I didn’t know about the book until after my surgery. Also didn’t know she was the surgeon who performed Al Roker’s gastric bypass (I’m sure many younger folks have never heard of Al Roker). At any rate, the book has fabulous recipes written by a chef who had wls and I can’t wait to try them. I’m two weeks post op tomorrow and all incisions completely healed, no reflux at all (thanks to sippy cup), and I honestly feel better than I’ve felt in years. I’m sleeping well at night with no need for caffeine to get through the day. VSG has changed my life. Oh, down 15 pounds and already see significant changes in my face and body. Best of luck to all you January surgybabes!!

7 hours ago, BadWolfGirl said:

At least 80 g. I'm on two drinks a day plus I'm allowed to eat low fat high Protein food. I've had eggs and chicken so far today. Just feel so blah

I kept exercising during my pre-op and that helped boomy energy. I cut back on the intensity though. Would do 30 minutes on elliptical or recumbent at a very easy pace. Even just walking might help.

On 01/19/2020 at 21:34, Uomograsso said:

I kept exercising during my pre-op and that helped boomy energy. I cut back on the intensity though. Would do 30 minutes on elliptical or recumbent at a very easy pace. Even just walking might help.

Sounds like you have the same hybrid elliptical/recumbent bike that I have-which I love. Not up to 30 minutes yet but I get in 20 whenever it’s too cold to go outside. Wish I could have eggs so badly. My surgeon doesn’t allow them until the soft foods stage. No idea why but should have asked at my post-op. Really appreciate reading all the posts from everyone. So informative and motivating.

2 minutes ago, Taj said:

Sounds like you have the same hybrid elliptical/recumbent bike that I have-which I love. Not up to 30 minutes yet but I get in 20 whenever it’s too cold to go outside. Wish I could have eggs so badly. My surgeon doesn’t allow them until the soft foods stage. No idea why but should have asked at my post-op. Really appreciate reading all the posts from everyone. So informative and motivating.

No, I just have a squeaky old recumbent bike at home. I work out at our local community center and the have a wide array of machines to use.

On 01/19/2020 at 21:42, Uomograsso said:

No, I just have a squeaky old recumbent bike at home. I work out at our local community center and the have a wide array of machines to use.

Serious kudos to you for going to the community center to exercise. I’m still self-conscious so don’t even like walking outside so bought this machine to use at home. ☹️ Maybe I’ll be brave enough one day to work out in public alone. I truly love walking outside, just not alone.

6 minutes ago, Taj said:

Serious kudos to you for going to the community center to exercise. I’m still self-conscious so don’t even like walking outside so bought this machine to use at home. ☹️ Maybe I’ll be brave enough one day to work out in public alone. I truly love walking outside, just not alone.

There are no hard bodies at the community center. Lots of Winnie the Pooh bodies though ;)

Serious kudos to you for going to the community center to exercise. I’m still self-conscious so don’t even like walking outside so bought this machine to use at home. [emoji3525] Maybe I’ll be brave enough one day to work out in public alone. I truly love walking outside, just not alone.
Do you have any friends nearby who would walk or workout with you ? Sometimes things are a lot less scary with a partner !

5 hours ago, sarahSingh91 said:

Does dumping syndrome happen with the sleeve? So I had low blood sugar and was feeling light headed. My on call nurse recommended I drink something with sugar. I had my husband get me a mini strawberry slush from Sonic with only half the sweetening Syrup they use. I thought the ice chips and sweet would be great together. 2 sip sips in my stomach gurgled and now I can’t leave the porcelain throne 😕

Now, I'm only about 2 weeks out, so I've been somewhat limited in my intake, but I haven't noticed any dumping syndrome like issues - that said, I can definitely IMMEDIATELY feel it if I take in too much at once (like the one time I took a large gulp of Water out of habit - oh boy that wasn't fun)

12 hours ago, RMaxton76 said:

Now, I'm only about 2 weeks out, so I've been somewhat limited in my intake, but I haven't noticed any dumping syndrome like issues - that said, I can definitely IMMEDIATELY feel it if I take in too much at once (like the one time I took a large gulp of Water out of habit - oh boy that wasn't fun)

In the hospital they gave me a stack of 1 oz cups with a goal to do 4 cups per hour. At home I am continuing with a 2 oz cup every 15 minutes. Takes me 1 1/2 hours to finish a Protein Shake. Very hard to just sip sip sip when I have gulped my whole life. My stomach does flip flops if I drink to much, but I haven't had any dumping yet.

14 hours ago, sarahSingh91 said:

Omg yes please send pics. I need some ideas for refried Beans. I have them and also black Beans and red kidney beans but I haven’t thought of how to use them yet. Yea lightheaded is just a thing now lol yea know. It’s great. Yea see I knew there was a reason about the sleeve but I couldn’t piece it together lol I think my dietary plan might be different also because my surgeon just does things differently we where never on a clear liquid diet after surgery (except in the hospital the first couple hours) And our first week we can have anything we can strain? So Soups, smoothies etc and then we go to soft foods no puréed stage and work out way up. They kind of use a texture scale thing.

I had to review my documents last and I will not be able to have anything close to what you are allowed until 2/16/20. There's the Clear Liquids from 2/1-2/4 , full liquids 2/5-2/15, Puree 2/16 - 2/29, Soft transitioning to solid 3/1 - 3/6 - phase I. Soft transitioning to solid foods phaseII 3/7 - the next 7 to 12 weeks.

This is from my documents and was reviewed on Friday with the Bariatric case manager. She reiterated how important it is to adhere to each stage and not skip a stage.

This is absolutely doable, because I'm committed to making sure I don't injure my sleeve or think that I know more than my Bariatric team. I have accepted that we are all on extremely different programs with extremely different Bariatric Dr. & surgeons.

With that being said, I may be a little bit jealous that you are skipping pureed and that you liquid phase is short...😫😔😒

Its not a one size fits all, let the games commence...

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies