Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date



Recommended Posts

I am set to have the sleeve done on January 16th! I’m having it in Bismarck, ND (4 hour drive for me) by Dr. Brandon Helbling.

I’m starting my pre-op diet on 1/1/2020 which consists of very low carb and low calories. Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and 4-6oz of lean meat and 1 cup of low carb veggies for supper. The day before surgery is all Clear Liquids.

I’m looking forward to this day and wish it was closer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having surgery on January 16. Dr Roger de la Torre is my surgeon. Going to have vsg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard January family, I'm wishing this were happening sooner as well. I'm soooo nervous, but excited to hear all of your updates on each step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I‘m scheduled for VSG on Jan 8. Pre op on 12.30, and my pre op diet starts 1.1! Dr. Miles at Alabama Weight Loss In Birmingham is my surgeon. So many emotions going on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DebDown said:

Hi! I‘m scheduled for VSG on Jan 8. Pre op on 12.30, and my pre op diet starts 1.1! Dr. Miles at Alabama Weight Loss In Birmingham is my surgeon. So many emotions going on!

This is a good place to lay it out on the table. Have you prepared your cabinets, closets, bought Vitamins and etc. ? I have been keeping busy and starting to prepare for the surgery to help combat my anxiety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for an update.

As I mentioned prior, my pre-op is scheduled for 27 Dec and surgery for 20 Jan. I've been working on my prerequisites and knocked out a biggie this morning. I've done the psych eval, the supervised weight loss program, and insurance is in place. Had a bit of trouble with the stress test (I do not do treadmills well.) so had to do a cardiac catherization. Did that last week and no blockage so the cardiac physician is thumbs up for surgery. Also had to do a EGD which I did this AM. The EGD showed a hiatal hernia and some Barrets. I knew about those so that was no surprise. My surgeon performed the EGD and said he wanted to be sure I understood the risks of a sleeve v. bypass wrt GERD but that he saw nothing that would prevent doing either.

Yes, I realize the bypass is superior to the sleeve for GERD but I much prefer the sleeve. The GERD has been well controlled for the past three years.

I have three things left.

I have to do a chest x-ray. (I've already told the physician that it will show a spot. That spot has been there for years so that shouldn't be a concern.)

I've got to do the pre-op.

The surgeon told me I need to lose 25 pounds at our initial consult. I've lost 15 and it's still over a month till surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Duke483 said:

Time for an update.

As I mentioned prior, my pre-op is scheduled for 27 Dec and surgery for 20 Jan. I've been working on my prerequisites and knocked out a biggie this morning. I've done the psych eval, the supervised weight loss program, and insurance is in place. Had a bit of trouble with the stress test (I do not do treadmills well.) so had to do a cardiac catherization. Did that last week and no blockage so the cardiac physician is thumbs up for surgery. Also had to do a EGD which I did this AM. The EGD showed a hiatal hernia and some Barrets. I knew about those so that was no surprise. My surgeon performed the EGD and said he wanted to be sure I understood the risks of a sleeve v. bypass wrt GERD but that he saw nothing that would prevent doing either.

Yes, I realize the bypass is superior to the sleeve for GERD but I much prefer the sleeve. The GERD has been well controlled for the past three years.

I have three things left.

I have to do a chest x-ray. (I've already told the physician that it will show a spot. That spot has been there for years so that shouldn't be a concern.)

I've got to do the pre-op.

The surgeon told me I need to lose 25 pounds at our initial consult. I've lost 15 and it's still over a month till surgery.

You've had quite a journey to wls. You are almost to the finish line and on your way to the next chapter in your life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, jeslpayn said:

I am set to have the sleeve done on January 16th! I’m having it in Bismarck, ND (4 hour drive for me) by Dr. Brandon Helbling.

I’m starting my pre-op diet on 1/1/2020 which consists of very low carb and low calories. Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and 4-6oz of lean meat and 1 cup of low carb veggies for supper. The day before surgery is all Clear Liquids.

I’m looking forward to this day and wish it was closer!

My final pre-op is on 01/17/20 and then the sleeve on 1/31/20. You will be sleeved and a Subject Matter Expert, for the remainder of us. Are you wls prepped in your home? I'm buying broth everytime I go to the store, drink / Water mixes, unsweetened applesauce and etc. I'm not grocery shopping for the regular staples. Do you have Vitamins and what's your Vitamin plan? Are you going to use smaller tools to eat, drink and prep? I have soooooooo many questions about what everyone is doing to prepare themselves. Sorry for the 200 questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey y’all!! My date is 1/27/2020. I’m soo excited. This process has taken forever (started last June) and I can’t believe it’s already here.

My doctor is Dr Jacome and I have having gastric bypass at University Somerville in Augusta, GA. I’d rather have it at Doctors Hospital so if they can, they will. It’s closer to my house and it’s just a better hospital. I have BCBS of Virginia- and living in GA they don’t get many peeps with my insurance at their office!

liquid diet starts 1/13. My doctor requires two weeks of liquid diet so fun times (not really). Gotta do it though because I’ve come this far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

Hey y’all!! My date is 1/27/2020. I’m soo excited. This process has taken forever (started last June) and I can’t believe it’s already here.

My doctor is Dr Jacome and I have having gastric bypass at University Somerville in Augusta, GA. I’d rather have it at Doctors Hospital so if they can, they will. It’s closer to my house and it’s just a better hospital. I have BCBS of Virginia- and living in GA they don’t get many peeps with my insurance at their office!

liquid diet starts 1/13. My doctor requires two weeks of liquid diet so fun times (not really). Gotta do it though because I’ve come this far!

You're my surgery sister! I'm having my sleeve to RNY revision on 1/27/2020 and our starting weights are very close (I'm at 269). My pre-op liquid diet also starts on 1/13. I think I'm just as nervous for that as I am the surgery itself. I feel like the dates are so far yet so close at the same time. The holidays will make at least two of the weeks fly by!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2019 at 01:09, Krimsonbutterflies said:






My final pre-op is on 01/17/20 and then the sleeve on 1/31/20. You will be sleeved and a Subject Matter Expert, for the remainder of us. Are you wls prepped in your home? I'm buying broth everytime I go to the store, drink / Water mixes, unsweetened applesauce and etc. I'm not grocery shopping for the regular staples. Do you have Vitamins and what's your Vitamin plan? Are you going to use smaller tools to eat, drink and prep? I have soooooooo many questions about what everyone is doing to prepare themselves. Sorry for the 200 questions.


I buy something to prep myself every time I go to the store. I’ve been sampling Protein Shakes and buying ones I like (I know taste may change after surgery). I have been getting Bone Broth packets and have been ordering Vitamins from ProCare as recommended by my dietician. I’m to start taking bariatric vitamins 2 weeks before surgery and stop them 2 days before to start prepping bowels. I have smaller tools to help myself post-op and plan to prep things in small containers. I am also buying liquids to drink such as Water and Powerade zero and drink mixes. Amazon has a great deal on unsweetened applesauce packets (like for kids) and I’ve purchased a large pack of those also.

I’ve also been writing in a journal all the things that come across my mind that I need before surgery, at the hospital, as well as after surgery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!! I am having surgery Jan 14. In Denver Colorado at rose medical with Dr. Snyder. I am doing the VSG (sleeve). This will be my very first surgery ever. I have never been under anesthesia so I am really nervous. And am so happy I found this app for support!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O I forgot some info.
I have Cigna open access plan.
So my requirements are minimal- no diet requirements or wait period. I had my consult December 7 and did psych evaluation, dietician meeting,pre op class, lab work and approval by PCP.
For pre op diet my surgeon only has a clear liquid diet for 48 hours before surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2019 at 11:59, jeslpayn said:

I am set to have the sleeve done on January 16th! I’m having it in Bismarck, ND (4 hour drive for me) by Dr. Brandon Helbling.



I’m starting my pre-op diet on 1/1/2020 which consists of very low carb and low calories. Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and 4-6oz of lean meat and 1 cup of low carb veggies for supper. The day before surgery is all Clear Liquids.



I’m looking forward to this day and wish it was closer!

Omg we r really close in surgery dates 🥰 I go in Jan 14th!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      I think i just spent the entire morning plus a couple more hours on here.
      My name is ms.sss and I am a BP forums-aholic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      My life is WONDERFUL
      JUST PLAIN WONDERFUL
      I am 10 weeks post op today. I have lost 43 pounds!
      I walk 3-5 miles daily and I have picked up Hoola Hooping! I am on a dang roll and I love it.
      SO HAPPY I GOT THE SLEEVE!
      Sorry I have been absent on here but I really have made it a point to take care of ME. My exercise time is precious so I have to get it in before working or anything else.
      I wish there was MORE than WORDS to express to you just how wonderful I feel!
      I even created a new blog post today! https://sabrinagoddess.com/create-a-life-that-you-love

      · 2 replies
      1. Michaeljex

        http://herbalgeek.com/products/weight_loss/hoodia

      2. Michaeljex

        http://herbalgeek.com/products/weight_loss/hoodia

    • BayougirlMrsS

      WOW..... 50,005 people have viewed my profile..... Hope i was able to inspire at least one....
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Vicki Lindsey

      Ok I had surgery on Jan 27 2020 so I am 3 weeks out and have lost 32 lbs  I wish I had this done sooner. Now just trying to figure out different things to eat so I am not eating the same thing over and over. I did order some stuff today from the Bariatric Store and that stuff should be here in time for my next phase. I have a goal of 50 lbs by the first of June hope that is attainable. Good luck to every one on this journey 
      · 1 reply
      1. MAUREEN2U

        That wonderful. That's a lot of weight for such a short time.Hooray.

    • GinaFigz

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×