Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Crazy Past Two Years- Grazing issue begun

I’m hoping that I am posting in the correct board.

I am now a little over two years post op from gastric bypass and had surgery on my rotator cuff twice this year, bed bounding me pretty badly the first time and then just making it difficult to exercise and move with the revision. I’ve been having immense pain in my face and other parts of my upper body after this second surgery, not helping my cause.

This has made cooking a burden, especially foods I should be eating, and I have a tendency to graze at night. That wouldn’t be so bad if I could have something like grapes, but they make me dump so quickly.

Does anybody have advice on how to get back on track (after the shoulder injury and getting back on anti-anxiety meds I gained about 40 from my lowest post bypass)?

What tracking programs do folks here use? My parents encouraged WW, but I’m unsure if it’s the right way to go? And seeing gastric surgeon’s office isn’t an option. 1. I moved about 200-300 miles away and 2. I lost my trust in them when my gallbladder nearly sent me into sepsis, but they refused to acknowledge there was an issue. I had to go to a well respected (serious, terrific guy!) general surgeon to get it evaluated and removed.

I tried to get seen by another office at one point, but they did not want to help me as I did not have my surgery with them.

Any help is deeply appreciated!

38 minutes ago, Lysbelle said:

I’m hoping that I am posting in the correct board.

I am now a little over two years post op from gastric bypass and had surgery on my rotator cuff twice this year, bed bounding me pretty badly the first time and then just making it difficult to exercise and move with the revision. I’ve been having immense pain in my face and other parts of my upper body after this second surgery, not helping my cause.

This has made cooking a burden, especially foods I should be eating, and I have a tendency to graze at night. That wouldn’t be so bad if I could have something like grapes, but they make me dump so quickly.

Does anybody have advice on how to get back on track (after the shoulder injury and getting back on anti-anxiety meds I gained about 40 from my lowest post bypass)?

What tracking programs do folks here use? My parents encouraged WW, but I’m unsure if it’s the right way to go? And seeing gastric surgeon’s office isn’t an option. 1. I moved about 200-300 miles away and 2. I lost my trust in them when my gallbladder nearly sent me into sepsis, but they refused to acknowledge there was an issue. I had to go to a well respected (serious, terrific guy!) general surgeon to get it evaluated and removed.

I tried to get seen by another office at one point, but they did not want to help me as I did not have my surgery with them.

Any help is deeply appreciated!

I’m sorry that you are struggling. All I can offer is some options to get back on track

• Log your food in an app – Myfitnesspal is free.(Google to find other apps) Stay within your weight loss calories and macros for the day.
  • Get all temptation foods out of the house.
  • Make an appointment to see a dietician. (Doesn’t have to be a bariatric dietician)
  • Go grocery shopping for items on your food plan.
  • Reduce cooking burden - Buy pre cooked Protein. (chicken, beef etc.) tuna packs, Microwavable veggies, packaged salad mix – Find items on your plan that are no to low cooking.
  • Find healthy options for sweet and salty cravings. Sweet – dannon light n fit Greek yogurt – Salty Jerky
  • Extra carbs and sugars with cause hunger – detox off them
  • Counselling may help
  • If you cannot exercise. your weight loss is more dependent on your diet. Log your food and stay within your calories and macros.

Links:

Myfitnesspal downloads

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android&hl=en_US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/myfitnesspal/id341232718

Myfitnesspal tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=myfitnesspal+tutorials

Doing the head work

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/425354-the-importance-of-doing-the-head-work/?tab=comments#comment-4776743

No to low cooking

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/411624-no-to-low-cooking-ideas-for-real-foods-stage-4-post-op/?page=3

November weight loss challenge

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/428613-🍂-nov-2019-challenge🍂/?tab=comments#comment-4822041

^^^^^ This a million times!

So sorry you're having a rough go!!! One rule I live by for nightly snacking is:

1. It has to have a Protein or Fiber component! (when I was in WLM I was very strict with this. Only a narrow list of Snacks such as hard boiled egg, string cheese, meat rollup, raw veggies. Now that I'm in maintenance it also incluses 1/2 small GS apple + 1/2 oz raw nuts, more veggies lol, 1 tbsp nut butter and a gg brancrisp.)

If you fill up on protein you will find it harder to eat more food.

AGREED WITH BOTH ABOVE

PLUS

The only foods you could probably graze on endlessly and get bored/full with very quickly before doing grave caloric damage are raw vegetables without Salad Dressing (carrots celery cucumbers kale, basically salads... No Dressing)

Edited by GreenTealael

7 hours ago, Lysbelle said:

What tracking programs do folks here use? My parents encouraged WW, but I’m unsure if it’s the right way to go? And seeing gastric surgeon’s office isn’t an option.

I know a few family members that swear by Noom. My son lost 50 pounds and ran a half marathon last week. It is a more comprehensive approach and not a short term diet. It might be something that clicks with you.

Weight regain after two years is not uncommon since we can eat more than we did right after surgery. There are a few factors that can lead to weight gain, two most prevalent are nutrition and medications. You state that you are on anti anxiety medication. Check to see if this medication can cause weight gain. As for nutrition, you stated that cooking is a burden especially the foods that you should be eating. When we take short cuts on the quality of food we need to eat this tends to lead us to processed foods. Processed foods have a in the past caused many here ( me included) to gain weight and suffer poor health. Try looking at your foods and eliminate the processed foods that you are eating. Get back to the quality foods that give you nutrition. The main thing is, you realize that you have a problem. Don't despair, work on a sensible plan of action and you will see positive results that you can build on. Good luck and good health.