Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Importance of Doing the Head Work

Posted (edited)

Earlier, a friend and I were discussing the vital importance about one of the most important aspects (key ingredient) for long term WLS success: "getting the head work right" or "doing the head work." Doing the mental preparation pre-op, and continuing that foundation as a post-op Bariatric Pal is an often overlooked aspect of successful WLS. I can't tell you the number of times, that main tenet was repeated and reinforced by my RD and my surgeon--and in fact, is still at 15 months, being reinforced and reiterated--it's that important. We were given referrals to bariatric counselors, access to our RD, and access to our surgical team's surgeon and PA, both directly and through an online charting/communication platform, and also introduced to several local support groups and online support groups and given copious links to support information available online. So we felt very well supported and well educated/well versed on the subject. And yet...you know, recidivism happens. We just sometimes can't seem to keep ourselves focused on the long game and we opt instead for short term "rewards" punishments. (Yes! That's me I'm pointing an accusatory finger at!!!)

Little did I realize how blessed I am to be part of my bariatric program until I really started participating in Bariatric Pal and read thread after thread about people who had ZERO clues about life as a post op (PO) Bariatric Pal. Holy cow! And not only that, but I routinely see (myself included in this group), people determined to make the choice most diametrically opposed to success--from a food standpoint, a head/emotional standpoint, and a lifestyle standpoint. It's just kinda fruit loops behavior. Right? I mean why would any of us CHOOSE to make decisions that would potentially jeopardize our longterm WLS success? And yet...here we are...we all make 'em! We all skirt the fine red line between compliance, and direct disobedience to direct doctors' and RDs' orders! And then not only that, but we staunchly stand in defiant defense of the protection of our position--and we TRULY believe that we don't have any consequence as a result of our choices! It's total cognitive dissonance. That is until you see the number of people return to BP asking for help on "how to start over" or how to lose their regain, or worse--how do they become successful at getting insurance to pay for revision surgery for a 2nd type or 3rd type of WLS!

I saw this brilliant post by Dr. Tim Noakes and I wanted to use this thread to share it with you because it's very GOOD! I also hope we can use this thread to share important links to information that will lead people toward help in getting some assistance and support for their tools. Cuz if you use a screw driver to pound in a nail, it might be effective with great effort and for a temporary time, but the nail will eventually fail and you will probably break the handle on the screw driver, using it as a hammer. Whereas if you use the tool properly as it's intended and with the proper instructions, then you will have a join that can withstand great force and challenges of strength. For instance, maybe you use the screwdriver and use an actual long screw and use the tool properly to make the join--screwing the entire length of the screw through the join of two materials. The join using the screw will be very very strong and can withstand the test of time way better than a nail.

So I'll start things off with posting the link to Dr. Noakes' article here. And will be back with some super online resources of where you can go to help you address the mental work that will allow you to "get the head work right."

Please post your helpful links below!!! (I'll be back to post a couple other great places to go on "The Facebook" to get some help and education doing the headwork!

Success Begins In The Mind (Live Better, Eat Better)

https://thenoakesfoundation.org/news/blog/live-better-eat-better-success-begins-in-the-mind?fbclid=IwAR07h7r4e3ZzCDdxQdZKzoK7fdlCGYDLpJZBr8Xh_4zR0X3EFjyJyf2l3Ok

image.thumb.png.41e40cd16bb2226ddfe2827bdd388a2f.png

Edited by FluffyChix

Here's a great link to a "closed" FB group, led by a woman who is a licensed therapist and who is successfully maintaining her VSG losses. She's pretty awesome! She has tons of fabulous free information and videos, and also offers very economical courses on doing the head work! I've learned so much from her!

It's called Bariatric Mind Masters. You have to join FB, and request to join this group. No one except fellow group members can see or share stuff from this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/270989040163983/?ref=group_header

image.thumb.png.57c8c13a91212433605241e4497e8f10.png

Here's another woman who has it going on! She is a contributor here on the BP Online Magazine, too!

Kristin Lloyd Moussa is a licensed Health Coach and is a PhD student. She's also successfully maintaining the losses from VSG surgery quite a few years ago. She is so helpful and encouraging, but she is very pragmatic and tells it like it is!

She also has a book and a website.

The Website

http://www.bariatricmindset.com/?fbclid=IwAR3-TSINK21o5M35IoLE2anRL1Uj3NgCkdHGltwCNuqjvmDeQxMkyyMRB7M

The FB Page. This isn't a private page, so others see what you post on it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bariatricmindset/

image.png.b1340339a1f11d969441534acbe14711.png

This is Patricia Hill at My Bariatric Kitchen. She is also a licensed Health Coach and is an author, coach, and recipe creator. She puts together a weekly meal plan service. And this is a closed FB group. She has also had WLS and is successfully maintaining her weight long term.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mybariatrickitchen/

She is joined by Kristin Lloyd Moussa and a personal trainer to deliver a great plan for lifestyle modification and she shoots from the hip. Gosh they all create so much free information in addition to offering more personalized support. I highly recommend Patricia and company.

image.thumb.png.4a235568807b123db549436ae60f63ae.png

Oh dang. I can't go in and edit now. It's past the window, but I just want to note this very important distinction as well:

Revisions can be due to medical issues and complications. Second surgery is not always about noncompliance weight gain. (We see noncompliance so many times, and it's hard not to be affected by these tales of misery.)

Thanks!

Regain and struggles can be heated topics for bariatric patients.

I don’t want anyone feeling shame for a weight gain or general weight loss surgery struggles. We should feel supported and know that we can get back on track. Understand, most of us are dealing with the same weight loss mental battles.

Obesity is not simple, Even after surgery and goal we all have risk factors for regain. Genetics, medications, medical issues, complications, hormones, old behaviors. The list goes on.

My hope is we can share some resources to deal with the mental battles. Would love to see podcasts, books, youtube videos.

I just came across this pod cast. It’s long. Would love your opinions

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/101-addressing-weight-regain-with-angela-fitch-md/id662443588?i=1000436129936

This one its next on my list to listen to. Titled they didn’t staple my brain. Love it.

https://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/080-they-didnt-staple-my-brain-a-conversation-with-dr-janine-kyrillos/

9 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Regain and struggles can be heated topics for bariatric patients.

I don’t want anyone feeling shame for a weight gain or general weight loss surgery struggles. We should feel supported and know that we can get back on track. Understand, most of us are dealing with the same weight loss mental battles.

Obesity is not simple, Even after surgery and goal we all have risk factors for regain. Genetics, medications, medical issues, complications, hormones, old behaviors. The list goes on.

My hope is we can share some resources to deal with the mental battles. Would love to see podcasts, books, youtube videos.

I just came across this pod cast. It’s long. Would love your opinions

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/101-addressing-weight-regain-with-angela-fitch-md/id662443588?i=1000436129936

This one its next on my list to listen to. Titled they didn’t staple my brain. Love it.

https://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/080-they-didnt-staple-my-brain-a-conversation-with-dr-janine-kyrillos/

OH absolutely! Agree with everything you said!!! ((hugs))

This post isn't about judgement or finger pointing either. It's just about you know, for me, it's about "owning my sh*t". That's the foundation of being able to walk out in change. Right? I truly hope this thread is used as a place keeper to park tons of links and resources for working on our mental game--vanquishing head hunger, reigning in the cravings that contribute to back sliding into old behaviors where we eat for comfort, eat past our restriction, chase satiety, chase the full feeling. You know?

I will check the link out later today and get back to you!! I love pod casts.

I'm also learning how tremendously our thought processes with regards to food is really impacted by our own gut biome!! We "become" what we eat! Who knew?

Here's a new FB graphic from the food coach Patricia Hill at My Bariatric Kitchen:

image.thumb.png.e29cd8948a4a700a262e0904114e9d17.png

This is so cool! Where are you? I'm firmly in the learning zone!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mybariatrickitchen/?fref=nf

Finally: Dietary Fats Entering the Brain May Be The Link Between Depression and Obesity

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_646867_en.html?fbclid=IwAR2bfm3VxplexXCJlnpQKwu2MZivmIb5ShxNUZ9GD_VTElf_oCOiYV_PaNI

Cool study from NIH.gov offers great definitions of important aspects of the surgery and substantial recommendations for interventions!!! Woot!

Interventions To Improve Long Term Weight Loss in Patients Following Bariatric Surgery: Challenges and Solutions

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4485844/?fbclid=IwAR3qJoBMKgvuI2v2B_nYZz6uW0xJdxuzv6ahr4v6DJWSNwPFGMoo5rLcxOU

Posted (edited)

Dang! There was just so much good stuff today. Sorry to overshare! This is by Debbi, the Shrink on Your Couch. I just love her message and also her position/tone and compassion she offers!

If you are struggling with regain or are stalled and feeling despondent and hopeless!

Hope you take courage and are helped by this YouTube!

Edited by FluffyChix

Good morning! More from our Shrink On The Couch!

Head Hunger--The Answer!

Do you struggle with Head Hunger? You know, the urge to eat mindlessly between meals--maybe even continuously? I'm not talking about eating for comfort. I'm talking about eating for pleasure--the fun of it--the gustatory satisfaction of it!

So here it is, a solution for dealing with head hunger and wrangling the saboteur that lurks inside each of us!

http://theshrinkonyourcouch.com/head-hunger-the-answer/?fbclid=IwAR2A0Wn6RLwL7bGR9a1KpHteDB0FqwcPBwkGrn2BasGeBtJmM3ZqC8NWPvY

image.thumb.png.37bea3a0d00c332c95d09f3577423ac6.png

Thanks for posting the links to various resources.

I have been watching some of the shrink on your couch videos, what a wonderful, engaging and compassionate person she is.

14 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Thanks for posting the links to various resources.

I have been watching some of the shrink on your couch videos, what a wonderful, engaging and compassionate person she is.

IKR?!!! Doesn't she make you feel a sense of internal hope for yourself? I think her message and tools she teaches are real game changers to me, anyway. I hope it helps others!

On the boards here we so often concentrate on the nuts/bolts of just progressing through our journeys, and we don't talk so much about the "HOW" you fix your head and all those things that contributed to your weight gain--and they are all so different for each of us and multi-factoral. Right? No 2 people are the same!

So I'm really glad to hear from others about their journeys and that some of these tools are working!! And if you have knowledge or information or access to tools that can help us build on our mental/emotional/spiritual selves that will make the physical results more permanent, please, please, please share with us?!!!!