Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HATE I GOT THIS STUPID SURGERY!

Girlfriend I know exactly how your feeling. I’m now 8 weeks post op but felt the exact same way right after surgery. I was so sorry I got it and cried for almost 2 weeks straight. I still feel this way from time to time when nothing taste the same anymore and I get frustrated. But trust me, it gets better. Just hang in there and take it day by day. I know exactly how your feeling

I most definitely feel u I’m day eight post op today boy I’m hungry but I’m hanging in there just trying to make myself drink some Protein Shakes Water is way better for me buts it’s going it will only get better

It gets better! I’ll be three months out on Tuesday. I’m down 61 lbs as if this morning. I gone from size 22 or 24 pants to 18, and just bought my first two pairs of 16’s that should fit in another week or two. Down from 2x tops to L or XL in the regular women’s section. My stamina has increased, I’m hiking regularly and will run my first 5K on Thanksgiving day. I sleep better and am seeing my sleep doc next month to hopefully get rid of my cpap. I’m off all meds except my Vitamins. I can eat all foods (but chose to follow my team’s dietary recommendations). I’m not hungry. IT DOES GET BETTER!!! Hang in there and reach out to your team for support.

On 11/07/2019 at 20:46, theexfatgirl said:

That is so awesome for you!! You still replying on my post tho. Get off of it!

I’m sorry that you’re hurting
I’m sorry that you’re struggling
I am going to call you out though for lashing out very rudely.
Whether you like the advice or not, someone took time out to give a response.
Yes, maybe the wording was a bit harsh, but please take the message and go back to all of the months of physical and psychological prep that went into this.
There are many of us here from decades-long veterans to those surgeried just in the last few weeks that can help.

The first 2 weeks are the absolute worst. Your body is tired, your mind is tired and everything is dramatically different. However, I haven’t heard of a single weight loss patient who didn’t know this going in, so refer to your action plan and work the plan.

Drink
Protein Shakes (if possible)
Vitamins
Rest
Work with your NUT and bariatric clinic. They don’t disappear after surgery, they are there and want you to succeed.

For the first 8 days post-op, I “consumed” a total of 800 calories. For 8 days.
Didn’t hit a single Protein goal ANY of those days. Emailed my NUT panicked 3 times that week bc I couldn’t hold in anything thicker than Water.
Her advice was to relax and not stress too much about the protein as long as the water happened. She was right and within 2 more weeks I finally hit my first protein goal. It took me 3 weeks after surgery to do that, so you’re still good.

It won’t always be easy, but life changing measures seldom come easily.

On 11/08/2019 at 11:11, FluffyChix said:

Sorry you are experiencing your reality. But I don't share your reality.

My team over the 6 months leading up to the surgery prepared me FULLY. And I did my due-diligence to learn what I needed to do to take responsibility for my mood, emotions, and well being. I did this by research, reading and talking with many, many, many people here and on other sites to help me deal with expectations.

I was not blindsided by one single thing--including how tough it is in the first few days. My team warned me about the temporary buyers' remorse many patients seem to experience. They did not expect my recovery to be difficult. In fact, they told me I was over-dramatizing the expectations--that it would be so so so easy. It was. I kept questioning if I really had surgery.

Actually the ONLY thing I wasn't prepared for was for how frickin' dickin' easy it was to recover from this surgery. But I also worked my a*s off pre-surgery for 6 months getting rid of habits, breaking up with foods that had their hold on me, and was low carb, caffeine free, booze free, stimulant free...so recovery was not also a time of detoxing.

I never once had any regret. I just felt this ENORMOUS feeling of gratitude to have the opportunity to reclaim my life and get rid of the pain and suffering from being diseased and super MO.

I cannot “like” this post enough times! 💕💕💕💕

27 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

I’m sorry that you’re hurting
I’m sorry that you’re struggling
I am going to call you out though for lashing out very rudely.
Whether you like the advice or not, someone took time out to give a response.
Yes, maybe the wording was a bit harsh, but please take the message and go back to all of the months of physical and psychological prep that went into this.
There are many of us here from decades-long veterans to those surgeried just in the last few weeks that can help.

The first 2 weeks are the absolute worst. Your body is tired, your mind is tired and everything is dramatically different. However, I haven’t heard of a single weight loss patient who didn’t know this going in, so refer to your action plan and work the plan.

Drink
Protein Shakes (if possible)
Vitamins
Rest
Work with your NUT and bariatric clinic. They don’t disappear after surgery, they are there and want you to succeed.

For the first 8 days post-op, I “consumed” a total of 800 calories. For 8 days.
Didn’t hit a single Protein goal ANY of those days. Emailed my NUT panicked 3 times that week bc I couldn’t hold in anything thicker than Water.
Her advice was to relax and not stress too much about the Protein as long as the Water happened. She was right and within 2 more weeks I finally hit my first protein goal. It took me 3 weeks after surgery to do that, so you’re still good.

It won’t always be easy, but life changing measures seldom come easily.

Thank you!!

18 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

I cannot “like” this post enough times! 💕💕💕💕

Yes. I continue to be incredibly grateful for my surgery team’s rigorous pre-surgery program. It took 8 months or so, but it did prepare me well enough so that I had the tools I needed.

The first week was ROUGH. It was a full time job to just get fluids in. I’m quite glad that I had already done so much of the head work prior to it, so that I had other coping skills/etc. Trying to do it at the same time as recovering from major surgery would have made it that much harder.

That said, it doesn’t help OP’s situation that she’s in now. She can’t turn back the clock. OP - you need to start on the head work. Follow the program, no shortcuts. Work on finding other coping strategies (like meditation apps, walking, whatever works). GO TO THERAPY to help you in this. Don’t shirk the head work, it’s just as important as the physical surgery.

To add, here are a few things that made a big difference in my early stages and my ability to get in my fluids:

A teeny fridge next to my bed, on my nightstand so that I could keep my Protein Shake cold. I’d pour out an ounce into a shot glass, work on that for 15 minutes, and the rest of the shake could stay cold.

A little plug in mug warmer to keep my broth hot as I worked on getting it down.

For some reason, room temperature fluids were AWFUL to try to ingest. But, hot or cold I could do.

Understand that right now your job is to get in your fluids and to walk around so that you don’t get blood clots. That should be your focus.

On 11/09/2019 at 12:32, AngieBear said:

Yes. I continue to be incredibly grateful for my surgery team’s rigorous pre-surgery program. It took 8 months or so, but it did prepare me well enough so that I had the tools I needed.

The first week was ROUGH. It was a full time job to just get fluids in. I’m quite glad that I had already done so much of the head work prior to it, so that I had other coping skills/etc. Trying to do it at the same time as recovering from major surgery would have made it that much harder.

That said, it doesn’t help OP’s situation that she’s in now. She can’t turn back the clock. OP - you need to start on the head work. Follow the program, no shortcuts. Work on finding other coping strategies (like meditation apps, walking, whatever works). GO TO THERAPY to help you in this. Don’t shirk the head work, it’s just as important as the physical surgery.

Yeah the headwork is serious business.

One of the biggest reasons why I plan on coming here pretty much daily.
Not only do I learn new things weekly, but I continue to be impressed and inspired by everyone here

Wow, 8 months. I saw the doctor/clinic advertised online. I made a phone call, gave my credit card and scheduled the surgery for the following week. My weight was on the low side so It was suggested I gain 10 lbs prior to weigh in.
I don’t think I understood the impacts of the surgery. I really didn’t understand the hiatel hernia repercussions. But that came up an hour before surgery.

I am still recovering from dairy earlier in the week but I’m so happy with the weightloss.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:53 PM, theexfatgirl said:

I am 8 days post op and I’m over it!!! I haven’t been getting in my Protein. I am craving food and can’t eat crap. For all of this I would rather stay fat!

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I am 4 months out and so happy for this surgery. My start was 203, surgery day 193, today 166. I did this for health reasons so it isn’t so much of being fat. One thing I did and still do is mix my Protein Shake in a nutribullet with ice. After you are cleared for other foods you can mix in berries, PB2 powder etc. I also made my crystal light or Gatorade zero I would put Protein powder, collagen powder in it and make a frozen drink. It really helps. I always drank fast and gulped. This slowed me down and made it easier.

My surgeon office really prepared us for what was about to happen. I guess I was fortunate It didn’t bother me with seeing food or even cooking for my husband. This will pass and will be much easier. Once you can even have yogurt it makes a difference. I really forget I had this surgery, I enjoy life much more. I go out to dinner, just eat a lot less and take over half my dinner home. The hard part is the first month after that it is just normal but you eat less at a time.

if you are struggling a lot physically or mentally I would reach out to your surgeons office for help. You want to nip this in the butt now so you can be successful. It also helps to look at all the pics these nice people post of their transformation. It is very motivational and can help pull you through the rough times. Good luck to you.

Keep strong you got this I’m right there with u eight days post op it gets easier and easier each day just pray about it and let it go it’s gona work out u can promise you that

the first 2 weeks were so tough for me, i feel your pain! i really survived off of Protein Shakes and greek yogurt. not the best food choices but they did the job. my biggest problem was drinking enough fluids. i’m at 5 weeks post op and i just got cleared for soft solid foods and it hasn’t been all that great so far but i wish you luck!

2 hours ago, Sandyyy said:

Wow, 8 months. I saw the doctor/clinic advertised online. I made a phone call, gave my credit card and scheduled the surgery for the following week. My weight was on the low side so It was suggested I gain 10 lbs prior to weigh in.
I don’t think I understood the impacts of the surgery. I really didn’t understand the hiatel hernia repercussions. But that came up an hour before surgery.

I am still recovering from dairy earlier in the week but I’m so happy with the weightloss.

Dang that's some fast work. I hope your surgeon did a good job because it sounds like they are in it for the money and yes, I realize that they ALL are to some degree, but one week? No psych consultation or nutritionist visits? There is a lot more to this surgery than the operation itself, so I hope you come to this forum for some help if you run into pitfalls from the lack of education on your surgeon's part. Good luck and I mean it with good wishes and not sarcasm...😊

@theexfatgirl

Most members will be supportive. No need to respond to posts you perceive as negative or trolling. Take what’s useful and ignore the rest.😊