Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

So I had my gastric sleeve surgery October 28th. I'm back at work today, but I'm still walking in so much pain, by the large incision site and in my back. Note that (TMI ahead) I also got my period. When I walk, there is a nagging awful pain by my incision site. Did anyone else have this? I didn't really want to go back to work today, but I don't want to lose all of my vacation time (I used my own time, because I was told you'll only need a week and all that). Did anyone else take longer to heal than others? I expected to be up and running so much faster that I feel like a wuss. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

You are not the only one! I had a terrible pain on my left side, burning or stabbing. It finally went away at 3 weeks, what a relief! I couldn't bend over at all with out actually screeching in pain, and I am very tolerant of pain. You are not a wuss this is a very painful surgery for a lot of people. Hugs!

Oh hun i had my sleeve on the 22nd October and today has been a challenge i was ok up to day 12. Yesterday and today i have been in agony walking. It is all at my incision site on my left and in my left back too.

You are not a wuss.

I contacted my doctor and he stated its normal. I feel like i took 10 steps forward in recovery in 20 steps back again.

Dont worry, just get your Protein in as it helps alot in recovering internally. I am hoping that pain goes by week 3/4.

I'm 10 weeks post op and still not right i think some of us are just slower to get back to normal x

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

20 minutes ago, Iamdlo said:

Oh hun i had my sleeve on the 22nd October and today has been a challenge i was ok up to day 12. Yesterday and today i have been in agony walking. It is all at my incision site on my left and in my left back too.

You are not a wuss.

I contacted my doctor and he stated its normal. I feel like i took 10 steps forward in recovery in 20 steps back again.

Dont worry, just get your Protein in as it helps alot in recovering internally. I am hoping that pain goes by week 3/4.

Mine is my right side, the big incision, where they removed the stomach. It's treacherous. It feels like something is pulling for dear life. Ugg. Deep down, I know I'm not a wuss, but there are a few women (older than me too) who had it at work and they're all, you're still in pain? Really? Yes really! I'm not lying.

I get the exact same feeling its a deep feeling not sharp pain but it does knock me for six i cant bend over it without me screeching. Sitting down the pain goes but once i stand up its awful a walked hunched over a lil to ease off the pain. My mind started running amock that something was wrong but its just internal healing i was assured

Everyones different and heals at different paces, its annoying when people almost try to devalue your feelings and pain. We are all different.

Keep your spirits up and give it time i know its really hard but day by day it should get better

59 minutes ago, Iamdlo said:

I get the exact same feeling its a deep feeling not sharp pain but it does knock me for six i cant bend over it without me screeching. Sitting down the pain goes but once i stand up its awful a walked hunched over a lil to ease off the pain. My mind started running amock that something was wrong but its just internal healing i was assured

Everyones different and heals at different paces, its annoying when people almost try to devalue your feelings and pain. We are all different.

Keep your spirits up and give it time i know its really hard but day by day it should get better

Yes, I walk hunched over. I bought and wear an abdominal binder and that only helps so much. Also, from sitting on the edges of chairs and such this past week, my bottom feels uncomfortable. I want to feel semi normal. It's frustrating. I broke down twice since surgery, over the pain. I hope the increased walking helps because I need something. I need to feel better.

Just now, MsMocie said:

I had a terrible pain in my incision 2-3 days after surgery. It was the worst - I felt like it was ripping me apart. Turned out I had one outside stitch which my surgeon almost forgot to tell me. I clipped it off and everything was fine. No pain otherwise.

Yes, I have an outside stitch, but I wasn't told we could do anything about it ourselves. I see the surgeon for my post op on 11/13.

3 minutes ago, Cherylmilla said:

Yes, I have an outside stitch, but I wasn't told we could do anything about it ourselves. I see the surgeon for my post op on 11/13.

I have a few stitches left too actually. Ive been wondering if that may cause further pain.

Just now, Iamdlo said:

I have a few stitches left too actually. Ive been wondering if that may cause further pain.

I wouldn't doubt it. All the other incisions have been fine. I knew I heard about the big incision being a pain, because that's where the stomach came out, but I did figure it had something to do with the outside stitch. It's so annoying. I just want to be able to walk normally, not all hunched over. I went back to work today, and it even contributes to feeling uncomfortable in my office chair.

1 hour ago, Cherylmilla said:

Yes, I walk hunched over. I bought and wear an Abdominal binder and that only helps so much. Also, from sitting on the edges of chairs and such this past week, my bottom feels uncomfortable. I want to feel semi normal. It's frustrating. I broke down twice since surgery, over the pain. I hope the increased walking helps because I need something. I need to feel better.

Funny you mentioned a binder. I was lying down and all the pain disappeared so i got something to tie around my tummy for support and the pain subsided dramatically. Got me thinking i will need to whip out my belly binders used during pregnancy.

People underestimate what pain can do to you mentally. Its draining and terribly frustrating when u just want to be back to normal concentrating more on your diet and healthier path.

Just now, Iamdlo said:

Funny you mentioned a binder. I was lying down and all the pain disappeared so i got something to tie around my tummy for support and the pain subsided dramatically. Got me thinking i will need to whip out my belly binders used during pregnancy.

People underestimate what pain can do to you mentally. Its draining and terribly frustrating when u just want to be back to normal concentrating more on your diet and healthier path.

Exactly! You said a mouthful!!! I just want to be normal. we are hardly "eating" any calories, so we're tired from that. Then add the pain (and TMI, I got my period a few days ago, so through that on there). Thankful I have everyone on here to gripe to, LOL. I know my husband is sympathetic, but he can't fully understand (I'm glad he doesn't have to go through this).

1 minute ago, Cherylmilla said:

I wouldn't doubt it. All the other incisions have been fine. I knew I heard about the big incision being a pain, because that's where the stomach came out, but I did figure it had something to do with the outside stitch. It's so annoying. I just want to be able to walk normally, not all hunched over. I went back to work today, and it even contributes to feeling uncomfortable in my office chair.

Right i tried getting an appointment to remove my stitches this week but the nurse has been fully booked. Will try an see if i can get an emergency appointment to remove them because its almost unbearable.

3 minutes ago, Cherylmilla said:

Exactly! You said a mouthful!!! I just want to be normal. we are hardly "eating" any calories, so we're tired from that. Then add the pain (and TMI, I got my period a few days ago, so through that on there). Thankful I have everyone on here to gripe to, LOL. I know my husband is sympathetic, but he can't fully understand (I'm glad he doesn't have to go through this).

What i find crazy is i dont remember people talking much about the pain and how long it goes on for!

I went back to work buy honestly shouldnt have just i didnt want to take all my holiday.

It really is a pain but just stay positive its definetely not permanent so look forward to the positives following this like the weight loss! Xx

Just now, Iamdlo said:

What i find crazy is i dont remember people talking much about the pain and how long it goes on for!

I went back to work buy honestly shouldnt have just i didnt want to take all my holiday.

It really is a pain but just stay positive its definetely not permanent so look forward to the positives following this like the weight loss! Xx

Same here; I was going to return in a week (this past Monday) but I couldn't go back yesterday. I came back today. I feel 2 weeks would have probably been best. I agree that the pain is nearly unbearable. I know I'll go home tonight and use my pain meds. I hate doing that, and regular Tylenol has been ok through the day, but I want a peaceful sleep and some relief. Hoping that maybe pushing myself to walk more today will help, like everyone says it will. Thus far, it doesn't seem to be working. Yes, it's not as bad as it was Wednesday or Friday or Saturday even, but it's still horrible and, the more days we feel like this, the more it does play the mental game and wreak havoc. I'm both physically and mentally exhausted.

Rant though I will, I agree; I know I made the right decision and I feel positive. I see change already (even my co-workers who know - I have been open about my journey - said they see the weight loss) and I know there is