Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Is Your First Fill After Surgery? I am able to eat more food now!!

Hello,

I had my surgery October 24th, and I am not scheduled for my first fill on 12-27!

My surgeon likes patients to wait about eight weeks until the first fill. I am getting hungrier each day. I lost 15 pounds since the surgery, and worried I am will gain the weight back before the fill.

Anyone else waiting for the first fill and getting hungrier each day and able to eat larger quantities of food!:whoo:

Totally normal, Summer. Too bad your doctor asks you to wait 60 days for a fill. You are still healing now and your band is NOT WORKING FOR YOU YET, so don't give up the ship! If you find yourself being hungry, by all means eat....but eat to fill yourself with low cal and filling foods. I kept fat free/sugar free Jello around all the time. Every time I got the muchies I ate one (10 cal) or two.... Don't deprive yourself, but don't push a cheeseburger in your face, either. You WILL get full faster than you did before, but until you get a good restriction, that band isn't kicking in yet.

My first fill was at 5 weeks. It was really nice to finally have some restriction.

during this time, just try to focus on eating right and exercising/drinking your Water. Keep a food journal to track your calories to make sure you aren't eating too much.

This is "bandster hell" and I remember it all too well.

You can do it!!!!

Mine's scheduled for November 29, which is 7 weeks after surgery. I have some restriction now, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to kick in until too late, after I've eaten too much! Then I feel like crap but it's too late to do anything about it. Gee, maybe I'm eating too fast! Do you think??

Hi there!

My first fill was done about 8 weeks after surgery. This is a difficult period to get through...you've got to hang in there!

To get me through it, I focused on eating Protein first, then veggies. I sipped on Water between my three meals. My doctor advised eating 90 grams of Protein per day because it helped keep the hungry horrors at bay. I kept a simple food/water intake journal, too. That kept me honest!

If you get too miserable, be sure to check with your doctor to see if he/she has any other helpful suggestions!

Congratulations on losing 15 pounds already!

Four weeks post-op.

Mine is recommended for 6 weeks after, but that's right around Christmas, so I'll probably wait until January. Too much going on for a 3 1/2 hour drive one way.

I was told 4-6 weeks after the op. I have an appointment on 27 Nov with the nurse. If I need one the dr will be there to give me one.

Surgery was 11/1 and first fill is 12/10. That's 3 days shy of 6 weeks (he does surgery on Thurs only, and so the only appt I could get that week was on Mon). I am getting slightly humgry at this point, but I eat very small amounts at a time and try to eat 5-6 times a day. So the hunger isn't rerally that bad. I also have no pain at all. I consider myself extremely lucky.

I was also banded on Oct. 24th and have gotten to where in the last week or so I can eat a bit more but still get that full feeling and stop. I go in for my first fill on Nov. 27th I am excited as I am ready to get some restriction back and hopefully it can start with the first fill.

I was also banded on November 1 and I go in on December 14, six weeks and one day after surgery. Six weeks is normal for my doctor. I may not get a fill, though. That decision is made during the appointment based on my weight loss, my level of hunger, and my diet.

Gee, maybe I'm eating too fast! Do you think??

Snowbird, girl, you KNOW that's the answer in your heart even without asking....

I was given strict instruction to wait 3 minutes between spoonfuls. I can't always do that, but by golly I come close. This gives my stomach and my brain a chance to have a short conference before I do any damage. Often, the verdict will be that the brain and stomach are both happy BEFORE I finish the food. In those instances, I just make the dog's day be setting the dish on the floor. My dog LOVES my band. ;o)

Try eating more slowly and thinking about each delicious mouthful. What does it feeeeeel like in your mouth? Mmmmm. How does it feel sliding down your throat? Can you feeeeeel it landing in your pouch? Eating should be a luxurious and sensuous experience, not a race to the finish. Every healthy mouthful is a gift to your body and your soul. Make it special!

Oooo, I'm so glad this thread was started! I was banded Nov 6 and am struggling already with feeling hungry. I am trying everything everyone has suggested (except the 3 min between bites, but I will try that tomorrow!) Just reading that I am not losing my mind is helpful. I thought that I had really made a mistake to go through this and not feel much different in my eating habits (however, I have lost 10 lbs in the 3 weeks). But I'm afraid I will start going up pretty soon. I will try to calm down and just listen to some of you who are more experienced. My first dr appt is Dec 6 but dr said he usually doesn't fill during the post op visit...we'll see. Thanks everyone for giving me some reassurance!

Penny