Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill ......that is the question

Fill or unfill ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Fill or unfill ?

• Fill
    • Unfill
    • Stay the same

OK here is my dilemma. I am so so on my fill now and some days I have restriction and some days it seems I don't. I recently moved to Florida (sept.) and have not had a fill since. I am going home to NJ next week and could call my Doc to get a fill but don't know if thats a good idea. The weight loss has slowed down a tad but still loosing. Now here is the real kicker. The thing is I am going to the Middle East (Iraq) for a year for work and only get a 2 week vacation every 4 months. Should I get the fill or even maybe unfill a bit so I don't take any chances of complications ? I will have no access to any lap band Docs at all when away. Just for knowledge does anyone know the size or type of needle that is used to unfill? Just in case there are complications the military docs could unfill. hmmmm what to do .............:phanvan

Don't you think that the military doctor's could contact your surgeon if there is a problem? Maybe your doctor could write down some information for you to take with you in case you need it.

Chris...

Great job on the weight loss! Good luck in Iraq.

I had my lapband done at a teaching hospital in Boston (part of Harvard Medical) anyway there was a doctor that was doing his fellowship and assisted in putting in my band, he was also in the military and wore his uniform in the hospital. He left the hospital to be deployed to Iraq. I know this is a long shot but there is at least one doctor in Iraq that has done fills!!!

I would suggest not getting a fill or an un-fill. If what you have now is working. I would just wait it out, you do not want any complications over there. Again....best of luck!

Remember, when you fly you will get more restriction. I found this out the hard way--I was on an 8 hour flight, and could barely eat anything, except yogurt, for four days!! Take care1

Terri

it's probably best to stay where you are and not chance being to tight someplace you don't have a doc handy. And I would also get your doc to write up the unfill process or how to reach him for you in case you have to have it in case of emergency.

Chris- if there are any nurses over there who have given chemotherapy through a port, they'll be able to access your port and unfill you if you get stuck- its a similar process. You can ask your doc in NJ for a few huber needles (I think that's the kind that are used to do fills/unfills) for emergency use only if you are nervous.

If you are still losing and have some days with restriction, I would either only get a tiny bit more (0.1-0.2 cc) or stay where you are just because you are going to be away so long. If your weight loss really slows while there, you can arrange for a fill the next time you are in the states; likely you won't gain any weight.

Good luck and safe travels!!!

If you are still losing a tad and you will be away from medical care 6-12 months I would wait. There is something to be said for being able to lose and maintain comfortably without medical care. I would definitly not have a fill. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was kind of leaning that way also but just wanted a little reassurance I guess. Just my nerves needed a little support LOL.

I would leave it exactly as it is. You're still loosing and that's what's matter, why take a risk of messing it up? And if i were you, I would talk to my doctor and ask my him to give me a small report I could take with me explaining what I have and how it should be handled (in case it's needed).

best of luck,

niki