Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I wanted the sleeve, Doc recommends RNY

I feel thrown for a loop- but because I already have GERD my surgeon recommends RNY instead of the sleeve. It makes me nervous, just seems so much more "invasive" although he said the recovery isn't vastly different. Anyone else thought they wanted the sleeve but ended up RNY? My insurance requires 6 month wait for surgery, so I have time to digest this (pun intended... LOL) Just looking for reassurance I guess.

I consulted two surgeons for my revision and they both advised bypass for people with reflux. It is a pretty common story that people get the sleeve and their GERD gets so bad that they then revise to a bypass. I am sure there are stories on both side of the spectrum where GERD gets better or worse, but just from the outside looking in, it appears it gets worse more often than not. I think your doctor is trying to just give you the best option he can to avoid two surgeries. 😃

Ultimately it is your decision and your surgeon is there to serve you! I'm hope by the end of six months you'll have a clear decision!

Both are major surgeries! It blows my mind that people still think the sleeve is the “easier” surgery. if you have any problems with Gerd then Bypass is your best option, otherwise you’ll most likely need a revision anyway

Not sure why people have this perception about RNY being more invasive.

All surgery is invasive!

Sleeve surgery they cut you open, cut off a large section of your stomach, stitch the remaining part so it doesn’t leak, throw away the chopped off part, stitch you back up.

RNY they cut you open, cut into your stomach to portion off a smaller section, do some rerouting and reattaching, stitch you back up.

Not sure which is the most invasive but not even sure that is a factor. So long as the surgeon you choose is skilled and experienced at what he or she does that shouldn’t matter. It should be more important to focus on the different way the surgeries work and the potential side effects. If you already have issues with reflux then a sleeve is not a good choice.

Yea totally agree elcee they are both major surgeries!

And NO the surgeon will not operate unless it is safe to do so. So they will not do a surgery that will cause further harm. They have the duty of care!!

Definitely go for RNY if you have GERD, the sleeve is notorious for worsening symptoms, just do a search on 'sleeve revision GERD' and see how many people have had to change to RNY.

I had both ops in a space of 2 weeks and I wasn't any more uncomfortable after the RNY than I was with the sleeve. All the same bits get moved around, bits still get cut stitched etc etc and you still have the same laparoscopic scars :)

No brainer. RNY. I've seen WAY too many revisions from sleeve to RNY because of worsening GERD. Yes of course there's a chance that that wouldn't happen to you, but the risk is real. Go with RNY.

21 hours ago, rglad1267 said:

I feel thrown for a loop- but because I already have GERD my surgeon recommends RNY instead of the sleeve. It makes me nervous, just seems so much more "invasive" although he said the recovery isn't vastly different. Anyone else thought they wanted the sleeve but ended up RNY? My insurance requires 6 month wait for surgery, so I have time to digest this (pun intended... LOL) Just looking for reassurance I guess.

I could have written this post. I initially met with surgeon in April intending for the sleeve. I like that it doesn't involve rerouting intenstines. I started on my program and here I am ready for my surgery. The dr. said my upper Gi results said I had GERD. I didn't know I had it. I had to do a mental shift but now am happy to have RNY, in 3 days! You will do great, just remember, just believe in the surgery you are getting!

Surgery is surgery.. Either one will change your life if you let it

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to take my surgeon's advice, he is the expert and I trust his opinion. I just had it in my mind it would be the sleeve. Like Panda333 said, I liked that the sleeve option doesn't re-route the intestines. Guess the moral of the story is to go into your initial surgeon appointment without any expectations!

Im the odd one out perhaps since I was hoping for RNY to have some amount of calorie malabsorption due to extremely slow metabolism. Turned out the doctor agreed anyway since I had severe GERD so bad my ears would burn from it. Both have similar surgeries and recovery, the only difference is more initial restriction with RNY. Better to have RNY now than have sleeve and end up needing revision later. RNY is seen as the gold standard.

I wish I had bypass first time when my doc recommended it. I did Sleeve and now going back for bypass.

I had my consult today and the same thing happened to me! I wanted the sleeve but the NP changed my mind. She said that 10% of people who got the sleeve, who never had GERD prior, developed GERD after.
Also she told me due to my PCOS, high cholesterol, & hypertension along with my BMI of 54 the RNY would be beneficial.
I have amazing insurance and only need 2 nutritionist visits & a psych consult then I can have the surgery!

Good luck on your journey and keep us posted on your progress!

On 9/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, rglad1267 said:

Exact situation here. Because I have Acid Reflux, that is what is being recommended for me and I'm trying to adjust although he will do the sleeve. I'm trying to weigh the best options for me now,