Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please! Which soft phase foods are best for constipation?

Had gastric bypass last month and I've been doing really well recovery wise. Warning - there is some TMI in this post, but I really need help...

Background info:

My BMs since surgery have been regular but...flaky? Not liquid diarrhea, but just - kinda powdery. Didn't think much of it since I figured well, I've been eating so much less and, blah blah.

But then, the past couple of days I could "feel" the Constipation was oncoming (I've had it my whole life, I know the feeling). I took some stool softeners, no bueno.

Fast forward to last night - I was on the toilet all night off and on, crying out in pain, almost passing out and nauseated and feeling like I was gonna puke. I could "feel" this rock hard huge BM was right there at the edge, and even having to urinate was hell bc it would put pressure on it and I could feel it trying to come out but, it was NOT gonna come out. By 4am, I was close to having husband take me to urgent care bc I knew it was "impacted" in there.

I tried a couple of enemas, as hellish as that was - absolutely no help.

Finally later this morning I managed to pass the monster-brick-hard BM (TMI - this involved my awkward digital breakup attempts, also hell) that has probably been in there this whole time I thought the "flaky" BM's were "normal." 😨

And I felt relief, but then next time I tried to go to the bathroom, a couple of hours ago, I can tell there's more, and it hurts. 😰

Oh and I did call the doctor (first thing this morning) and he said to take Milk of Magnesia and drink lots of Water. Done. But research on this wonderful site has given me all other kinds of good advice regarding routines and products, etc. etc. - . I will be using it.

Where I need guidance/advice:

So, I'm in the "soft/mushy" foods phase of the post-op regimen. I've been continuing with at least 1 Premier Protein shake a day, sometimes two - to help get in enough Protein (it's so hard to reach my daily goal!). Then for dinner I've been having one of the following:

Mushed up lowfat cottage cheese - OR - hard boiled egg blended up in my mini-blender with a tiny dollop of lite mayo and mustard - OR - also using my mini-blender, ground up moistened chicken breast with a tiny bit of lite mayo and celery salt (my version of "chicken salad" lol) - OR - watered down and mushed up refried Beans with a bit of green salsa.

I'm also meeting/ exceeding my 64oz Fluid requirement daily (mostly water, some herbal teas) - and in fact usually surpass that.

Are there any soft foods phase "meals" y'all can recommend that can - along with the other stuff like MOM, Colace, etc. - help prevent constipation or at least not actively contribute to it?

Are my foods listed above not "ideal"? I'm going by doctor's list of recommendations - but admittedly only sticking to a very few of the choices. I try to keep things simple basically.

I've had constipation issues my whole life, even as a young child - and nothing is more terrifying to me honestly - I even had to have a hemorrhoidectomy last year it got so bad - and if this crap continues (ha ha, get it) I know I'll be headed down that road again, which is a nightmare I never wish to repeat. 😩

ANY advice on what other soft foods that could help with avoiding constipation I should start including in my diet would be really helpful, thanks so much in advance!

I LOVE Miralax -- you drink it and it works in a day or so. Not a laxative or stimulant so no abdominal pain or cramping just draws Water into the intestines and does it naturally.

Squashes are supposed to be good for this kind of thing as well and soft... maybe prepare some butternut squash, stuff like that that is high in Fiber but yet soft.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1881/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/squash/

chronic Constipation is a pretty common problem among bariatric patients. A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day. That usually works for me, but I still get backed up once or twice a month. When I do, I just do a night or two of Milk of Magnesia.

other people take magnesium tablets, or stool softeners, or things like Smooth Move Tea. You just have to figure out what works for you and keep on top of it.

You could try a couple of canned peach halves (juice, not syrup) in yogurt or cottage cheese. Fresh ripe peaches also work. Just mash them in a Protein source like yogurt or cc.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Some things that may help:

Ducolax stool softener, loads more Water, unsweetened apple sauce, loads more water, natural fiber sources, loads more Fluid & reduced dairy

Good Luck 💜

I don't have any advice for this but I will say that almost a year out, there's no preventing Constipation for me no matter what I eat. I do a weekly Milk of Magnesia purge.

And 🐭🐺I am right there with you. Miralax 2x daily, add Metamucil to no benefit, guess I'm the M.O.M. Kid too- but dontcha just love being smaller, Having more energy and living a happier life into the FUTURE! Guess I'll take THAT as a trade-off.
👈😝👉

Same. 3 years post-op VSG, and I try to keep my fiber up. Broccoli, sweet peppers, chia seeds. I do use MCT Oil once a week in my coffee and that gets things moving.

I have long suffered from Constipation all my life, and like someone mentioned above, a once a week purge with Dulcolax and lots of Water, sure gets things going.

Good luck!

16 hours ago, levinme said:

I LOVE Miralax -- you drink it and it works in a day or so. Not a laxative or stimulant so no abdominal pain or cramping just draws Water into the intestines and does it naturally.

17 hours ago, CrowLuv said:

Had gastric bypass last month and I've been doing really well recovery wise. Warning - there is some TMI in this post, but I really need help...

Background info:

My BMs since surgery have been regular but...flaky? Not liquid diarrhea, but just - kinda powdery. Didn't think much of it since I figured well, I've been eating so much less and, blah blah.

But then, the past couple of days I could "feel" the Constipation was oncoming (I've had it my whole life, I know the feeling). I took some stool softeners, no bueno.

Fast forward to last night - I was on the toilet all night off and on, crying out in pain, almost passing out and nauseated and feeling like I was gonna puke. I could "feel" this rock hard huge BM was right there at the edge, and even having to urinate was hell bc it would put pressure on it and I could feel it trying to come out but, it was NOT gonna come out. By 4am, I was close to having husband take me to urgent care bc I knew it was "impacted" in there.

I tried a couple of enemas, as hellish as that was - absolutely no help.

Finally later this morning I managed to pass the monster-brick-hard BM (TMI - this involved my awkward digital breakup attempts, also hell) that has probably been in there this whole time I thought the "flaky" BM's were "normal." 😨

And I felt relief, but then next time I tried to go to the bathroom, a couple of hours ago, I can tell there's more, and it hurts. 😰

Oh and I did call the doctor (first thing this morning) and he said to take Milk of Magnesia and drink lots of Water. Done. But research on this wonderful site has given me all other kinds of good advice regarding routines and products, etc. etc. - . I will be using it.

Where I need guidance/advice:

So, I'm in the "soft/mushy" foods phase of the post-op regimen. I've been continuing with at least 1 Premier Protein shake a day, sometimes two - to help get in enough Protein (it's so hard to reach my daily goal!). Then for dinner I've been having one of the following:

Mushed up lowfat cottage cheese - OR - hard boiled egg blended up in my mini-blender with a tiny dollop of lite mayo and mustard - OR - also using my mini-blender, ground up moistened chicken breast with a tiny bit of lite mayo and celery salt (my version of "chicken salad" lol) - OR - watered down and mushed up refried Beans with a bit of green salsa.

I'm also meeting/ exceeding my 64oz Fluid requirement daily (mostly Water, some herbal teas) - and in fact usually surpass that.

Are there any soft foods phase "meals" y'all can recommend that can - along with the other stuff like MOM, Colace, etc. - help prevent constipation or at least not actively contribute to it?

Are my foods listed above not "ideal"? I'm going by doctor's list of recommendations - but admittedly only sticking to a very few of the choices. I try to keep things simple basically.

I've had constipation issues my whole life, even as a young child - and nothing is more terrifying to me honestly - I even had to have a hemorrhoidectomy last year it got so bad - and if this crap continues (ha ha, get it) I know I'll be headed down that road again, which is a nightmare I never wish to repeat. 😩

ANY advice on what other soft foods that could help with avoiding constipation I should start including in my diet would be really helpful, thanks so much in advance!

I would cut out hard boiled eggs. They can contribute to constipation. My son swears by Ben fibre which they also reccomend in my Bariactric Bible . Hope you’re feeling a bit better now . Bless you , it sounds really painful . Good luck .

Good Luck and your Bible verse motto should be "THIS TOO SHALL PASS! " The Benefiber is a Good Idea, should get me some MORE, I actually was using it past its Use By Date, maybe that's why it was not as effective. And maybe I too should look to Chia Seeds as Well. Been over a Year and I'm still Learning- you can pick up very good Tips on Bariatric Pal- but I do Fight the War Also.

4 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And 🐭🐺I am right there with you. Miralax 2x daily, add Metamucil to no benefit, guess I'm the M.O.M. Kid too- but dontcha just love being smaller, Having more energy and living a happier life into the FUTURE! Guess I'll take THAT as a trade-off.
👈😝👉

ABSOLUTELY! 😆

3 hours ago, PEGGO said:

I would cut out hard boiled eggs. They can contribute to Constipation. My son swears by Ben fibre which they also reccomend in my Bariactric Bible . Hope you’re feeling a bit better now . Bless you , it sounds really painful . Good luck .

Thank you so much - and yes, today is much better. :)

It's obvious to me now that all those "flaky" bm's were just traveling around the monster one lol. I know, gross - but at least now I know better, and can take all this wonderful advice here and do my best to prevent it from happening again (at least at that level).

I could've written this OP myself. I've battled 2 episodes of severe painful impacted stool since my July 3 rny surgery. I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I don't have much advice to offer, but just know that I'm suffering this hellish fight right there with you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app