Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please! Which soft phase foods are best for constipation?



Recommended Posts

Had gastric bypass last month and I've been doing really well recovery wise. Warning - there is some TMI in this post, but I really need help...

Background info:

My BMs since surgery have been regular but...flaky? Not liquid diarrhea, but just - kinda powdery. Didn't think much of it since I figured well, I've been eating so much less and, blah blah.

But then, the past couple of days I could "feel" the constipation was oncoming (I've had it my whole life, I know the feeling). I took some stool softeners, no bueno.

Fast forward to last night - I was on the toilet all night off and on, crying out in pain, almost passing out and nauseated and feeling like I was gonna puke. I could "feel" this rock hard huge BM was right there at the edge, and even having to urinate was hell bc it would put pressure on it and I could feel it trying to come out but, it was NOT gonna come out. By 4am, I was close to having husband take me to urgent care bc I knew it was "impacted" in there.

I tried a couple of enemas, as hellish as that was - absolutely no help.

Finally later this morning I managed to pass the monster-brick-hard BM (TMI - this involved my awkward digital breakup attempts, also hell) that has probably been in there this whole time I thought the "flaky" BM's were "normal." 😨

And I felt relief, but then next time I tried to go to the bathroom, a couple of hours ago, I can tell there's more, and it hurts. 😰

Oh and I did call the doctor (first thing this morning) and he said to take Milk of Magnesia and drink lots of Water. Done. But research on this wonderful site has given me all other kinds of good advice regarding routines and products, etc. etc. - . I will be using it.

Where I need guidance/advice:

So, I'm in the "soft/mushy" foods phase of the post-op regimen. I've been continuing with at least 1 Premier Protein shake a day, sometimes two - to help get in enough Protein (it's so hard to reach my daily goal!). Then for dinner I've been having one of the following:

Mushed up lowfat cottage cheese - OR - hard boiled egg blended up in my mini-blender with a tiny dollop of lite mayo and mustard - OR - also using my mini-blender, ground up moistened chicken breast with a tiny bit of lite mayo and celery salt (my version of "chicken salad" lol) - OR - watered down and mushed up refried Beans with a bit of green salsa.

I'm also meeting/ exceeding my 64oz Fluid requirement daily (mostly water, some herbal teas) - and in fact usually surpass that.

Are there any soft foods phase "meals" y'all can recommend that can - along with the other stuff like MOM, Colace, etc. - help prevent constipation or at least not actively contribute to it?

Are my foods listed above not "ideal"? I'm going by doctor's list of recommendations - but admittedly only sticking to a very few of the choices. I try to keep things simple basically.

I've had constipation issues my whole life, even as a young child - and nothing is more terrifying to me honestly - I even had to have a hemorrhoidectomy last year it got so bad - and if this crap continues (ha ha, get it) I know I'll be headed down that road again, which is a nightmare I never wish to repeat. 😩

ANY advice on what other soft foods that could help with avoiding constipation I should start including in my diet would be really helpful, thanks so much in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE Miralax -- you drink it and it works in a day or so. Not a laxative or stimulant so no abdominal pain or cramping just draws Water into the intestines and does it naturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squashes are supposed to be good for this kind of thing as well and soft... maybe prepare some butternut squash, stuff like that that is high in Fiber but yet soft.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1881/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/squash/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chronic constipation is a pretty common problem among bariatric patients. A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day. That usually works for me, but I still get backed up once or twice a month. When I do, I just do a night or two of Milk of Magnesia.

other people take magnesium tablets, or stool softeners, or things like Smooth Move Tea. You just have to figure out what works for you and keep on top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try a couple of canned peach halves (juice, not syrup) in yogurt or cottage cheese. Fresh ripe peaches also work. Just mash them in a Protein source like yogurt or cc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some things that may help:

Ducolax stool softener, loads more Water, unsweetened apple sauce, loads more water, natural fiber sources, loads more Fluid & reduced dairy

Good Luck 💜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any advice for this but I will say that almost a year out, there's no preventing constipation for me no matter what I eat. I do a weekly Milk of Magnesia purge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And 🐭🐺I am right there with you. Miralax 2x daily, add Metamucil to no benefit, guess I'm the M.O.M. Kid too- but dontcha just love being smaller, Having more energy and living a happier life into the FUTURE! Guess I'll take THAT as a trade-off.
👈😝👉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same. 3 years post-op VSG, and I try to keep my Fiber up. Broccoli, sweet peppers, chia seeds. I do use MCT Oil once a week in my coffee and that gets things moving.

I have long suffered from constipation all my life, and like someone mentioned above, a once a week purge with Dulcolax and lots of Water, sure gets things going.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, levinme said:

I LOVE Miralax -- you drink it and it works in a day or so. Not a laxative or stimulant so no abdominal pain or cramping just draws Water into the intestines and does it naturally.

17 hours ago, CrowLuv said:

Had gastric bypass last month and I've been doing really well recovery wise. Warning - there is some TMI in this post, but I really need help...

Background info:

My BMs since surgery have been regular but...flaky? Not liquid diarrhea, but just - kinda powdery. Didn't think much of it since I figured well, I've been eating so much less and, blah blah.

But then, the past couple of days I could "feel" the constipation was oncoming (I've had it my whole life, I know the feeling). I took some stool softeners, no bueno.

Fast forward to last night - I was on the toilet all night off and on, crying out in pain, almost passing out and nauseated and feeling like I was gonna puke. I could "feel" this rock hard huge BM was right there at the edge, and even having to urinate was hell bc it would put pressure on it and I could feel it trying to come out but, it was NOT gonna come out. By 4am, I was close to having husband take me to urgent care bc I knew it was "impacted" in there.

I tried a couple of enemas, as hellish as that was - absolutely no help.

Finally later this morning I managed to pass the monster-brick-hard BM (TMI - this involved my awkward digital breakup attempts, also hell) that has probably been in there this whole time I thought the "flaky" BM's were "normal." 😨

And I felt relief, but then next time I tried to go to the bathroom, a couple of hours ago, I can tell there's more, and it hurts. 😰

Oh and I did call the doctor (first thing this morning) and he said to take Milk of Magnesia and drink lots of Water. Done. But research on this wonderful site has given me all other kinds of good advice regarding routines and products, etc. etc. - . I will be using it.

Where I need guidance/advice:

So, I'm in the "soft/mushy" foods phase of the post-op regimen. I've been continuing with at least 1 Premier Protein shake a day, sometimes two - to help get in enough Protein (it's so hard to reach my daily goal!). Then for dinner I've been having one of the following:

Mushed up lowfat cottage cheese - OR - hard boiled egg blended up in my mini-blender with a tiny dollop of lite mayo and mustard - OR - also using my mini-blender, ground up moistened chicken breast with a tiny bit of lite mayo and celery salt (my version of "chicken salad" lol) - OR - watered down and mushed up refried Beans with a bit of green salsa.

I'm also meeting/ exceeding my 64oz Fluid requirement daily (mostly Water, some herbal teas) - and in fact usually surpass that.

Are there any soft foods phase "meals" y'all can recommend that can - along with the other stuff like MOM, Colace, etc. - help prevent constipation or at least not actively contribute to it?

Are my foods listed above not "ideal"? I'm going by doctor's list of recommendations - but admittedly only sticking to a very few of the choices. I try to keep things simple basically.

I've had constipation issues my whole life, even as a young child - and nothing is more terrifying to me honestly - I even had to have a hemorrhoidectomy last year it got so bad - and if this crap continues (ha ha, get it) I know I'll be headed down that road again, which is a nightmare I never wish to repeat. 😩

ANY advice on what other soft foods that could help with avoiding constipation I should start including in my diet would be really helpful, thanks so much in advance!

I would cut out hard boiled eggs. They can contribute to constipation. My son swears by Ben fibre which they also reccomend in my Bariactric Bible . Hope you’re feeling a bit better now . Bless you , it sounds really painful . Good luck .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck and your Bible verse motto should be "THIS TOO SHALL PASS! " The Benefiber is a Good Idea, should get me some MORE, I actually was using it past its Use By Date, maybe that's why it was not as effective. And maybe I too should look to Chia Seeds as Well. Been over a Year and I'm still Learning- you can pick up very good Tips on Bariatric Pal- but I do Fight the War Also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And 🐭🐺I am right there with you. Miralax 2x daily, add Metamucil to no benefit, guess I'm the M.O.M. Kid too- but dontcha just love being smaller, Having more energy and living a happier life into the FUTURE! Guess I'll take THAT as a trade-off.
👈😝👉

ABSOLUTELY! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PEGGO said:

I would cut out hard boiled eggs. They can contribute to constipation. My son swears by Ben fibre which they also reccomend in my Bariactric Bible . Hope you’re feeling a bit better now . Bless you , it sounds really painful . Good luck .

Thank you so much - and yes, today is much better. :)

It's obvious to me now that all those "flaky" bm's were just traveling around the monster one lol. I know, gross - but at least now I know better, and can take all this wonderful advice here and do my best to prevent it from happening again (at least at that level).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could've written this OP myself. I've battled 2 episodes of severe painful impacted stool since my July 3 rny surgery. I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I don't have much advice to offer, but just know that I'm suffering this hellish fight right there with you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • cutethickmoma

      Ok Bariatric Pals it's been a long time! I'm back and in need of help had the sleeve done back in 2013 regained some weight current 280 looking to have a revision done. Any suggestions 🤔 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KTNCANDY

      6 days post op..
      Hight..5'4
      Highest weight...350lbs
      Pre op weight ..315 on 2/15/21
      Post op weight.. 335   2/16/21
      Day 6
      -10.. 325
       
      Alot of swelling.  But up and about.  Started full fluid diet today. 
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Annie2021

      Waiting for a sleeve.... any comments on positivity ?
      · 2 replies
      1. Grayce

        Just keep in high spirits. I'm 9 weeks post op and I'm glad I did it. Do you have a surgery date?

      2. Neensyb

        7 weeks post op here. Take one day at a time.

    • CrowLuv

      It's been so long since I came here and I'm disappointed in myself for that, it's such a wonderful forum with amazing people. 
      But I'm back with exciting news: I had my surgery in August of 2019, and I met my goal of 180 by the fall of 2020! And even better: as of today I've far surpassed my initial goal and am now at 156lbs!
      In hindsight, I made the goal of 180 never dreaming I would be able to go below that, and yet, in the back of my mind I always knew that somewhere in the 150s would be the absolute ideal for me, I just never thought that would be a possibility, even with this surgery. So this is a dream come true for me!
      The mind is a very powerful machine, and I guess my mind clearly said "we're not done here" when I got to 180. I didn't even try to get below it, to be perfectly honest - it took no effort on my part, the weight just kept (keeps?) melting off of me. 
      That sounds like the worst kind of humblebrag, almost cringe-level - but I truly don't mean it that way. It's just that I'm just completely gobsmacked! I never in a million years expected this to happen!
      More good news: I started exercising with a program I'm obsessed with called Essentrics last October - heck, I've only missed a handful of days since I started. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be so excited about working out, that it would be the highlight of my day, even. But it is! I always haaaated exercise! But this program is downright enjoyable and I always feel something akin to euphoria at the end of my workouts. That's not an exaggeration. It's possible that doing this is why I kept losing weight, but I'm not sure, because it's not cardio-heavy at all...it's more like just stretching and moving your body, I guess kinda like a more "active" form of yoga, but NOT yoga, it's hard to describe honestly. Nothing fancy, it just really feels good for my body, I can't say enough about it. I can't imagine it burns that many calories since there is very little cardio involved, but I don't know because I don't do math and that's that lol.
      But now I have a new goal, and it's a big one: get back to a nutritious, healthy diet (maintenance I mean, not active weight loss). I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have to be brutally honest with myself, and this is the ideal place to do it - the fact is, my diet SUCKS. I haven't even tried to eat healthily for quite awhile now. I'm so ashamed of myself just typing that out, but I need to face it and admit it to myself before I can fix it.
      I haven't participated on this forum for way too long, and that was a mistake. This forum is amazing and filled with such great people who always inspired me so much!
      So now I'm back because, even though I'm at my goal, the fact is, this is a lifelong journey - it's not just the weight loss part, it's so much more than that. I need help getting my diet back on track. I need the inspiration and excellent advice I always found here. Just because I'm at goal doesn't mean I'm done - far from it.
      So although I'm embarrassed that my diet (currently!) sucks, I can at least give myself credit for finally admitting it and setting my intention to change that. Being at goal weight does NOT mean I'm healthy. It's great that I'm exercising, but if I'm not giving my body the nutrition it needs, then I'm only hurting myself. If I took the giant step of having bariatric surgery, I owe it to myself to follow through with the WHY I did it - which was to become healthy again - and that is sooo much more than a number on the scale.
      I'm ready to make the changes necessary to get myself into the healthiest state possible. I won't be perfect, nobody is, but it's time for me to truly commit to giving my body the healthy nutrition it deserves as best as I can. I don't know where to start though, it's like I need an entire education about it. But I'm ready and willing to learn.
      I'm so happy to be back here because I know that inspiration is found everywhere here in this forum.  
      · 2 replies
      1. kunkelgw

        Welcome back and congratulations with your added weight loss. That is so wonderful.😀

      2. CrowLuv

        Thank you so much! :)

    • summerset

      I feel like a sponge soaked with water this weekend. Noticed it yesterday already, also today. TMI I guess but this feeling of having peed and then this strange feeling in the bladder that lasts for a while - like you still have to pee.
      · 1 reply
      1. BayougirlMrsS

        I went to the dr. yesterday.... he put me on Bactrum. Starting to feel better

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×