Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Ok.... honesty time. I’m having my surgery 8/12/19. My pre-op requires 1st week 2 meals 1 Protein Shake. 2nd week 2 shakes 1 meal. Today should be my 3rd day of 2 meals 1 shake but I’m struggling. I think I’m still thinking about how restrictive my life will be post op. Normally I have great discipline. People around me always comment on how when I put my mind to something I do it. Does or did Anyone else have this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Remind yourself about your WHY.

Why did you choose to engage in this journey? What was it that pushed you past the point of potentiation and caused you to pull the trigger on entering your surgeon's WLS program?

What were your longterm visions.

Always focus on your WHY. It's the ultimate payout and keeps you focused. It's your touchstone.

Remember, we will do anything to rationalize our addictions and to live life with our confirmation bias. We WANT to remain in homeostasis and avoid change. We will defend our beliefs and belief systems unto death.

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya my surgery is the same day as yours :D I am not enjoying this restricted diet but am happily plodding along. Your pre-op diet is different to mine, I have a choice of 4 types I can mix and match. I can do restricted calorie, restricted carbs and portions, Meal Replacement or, 2 shakes & 1 meal a day. I'm allowed to mix and match as long as I keep to 800-1000 calories a day.

What are you struggling with? Hunger? Boredom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/31/2019 at 09:52, FluffyChix said:



Remind yourself about your WHY.




Why did you choose to engage in this journey? What was it that pushed you past the point of potentiation and caused you to pull the trigger on entering your surgeon's WLS program?




What were your longterm visions.




Always focus on your WHY. It's the ultimate payout and keeps you focused. It's your touchstone.




Remember, we will do anything to rationalize our addictions and to live life with our confirmation bias. We WANT to remain in homeostasis and avoid change.


Thank you so much. This is the place to be honest . I know that once I’ve been honest then I can & will do better. What you’ve said is the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, we all feel that way. But we realize that we've made a lifetime of poor food choices and that these changes going forward are necessary to be healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/31/2019 at 09:56, Bastian said:



Hiya my surgery is the same day as yours :D I am not enjoying this restricted diet but am happily plodding along. Your pre-op diet is different to mine, I have a choice of 4 types I can mix and match. I can do restricted calorie, restricted carbs and portions, Meal Replacement or, 2 shakes & 1 meal a day. I'm allowed to mix and match as long as I keep to 800-1000 calories a day.




What are you struggling with? Hunger? Boredom?


I’m still eating 3 meals. No sugar, nothing bad , no binging but still eating 3 meals. My dr & Nutrionist haven’t put many restrictions on me so I think I’m being too lackadaisical. I’m sharing my truth because I know it will help to keep me accountable! On another note.... aren’t you sooo excited? I’ll follow you & perhaps we can keep up to date on each other’s progress progress !!! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/31/2019 at 10:00, GradyCat said:



Sure, we all feel that way. But we realize that we've made a lifetime of poor food choices and that these changes going forward are necessary to be healthy.


Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chiptress said:
6 minutes ago, Bastian said:


Hiya my surgery is the same day as yours :D I am not enjoying this restricted diet but am happily plodding along. Your pre-op diet is different to mine, I have a choice of 4 types I can mix and match. I can do restricted calorie, restricted carbs and portions, Meal Replacement or, 2 shakes & 1 meal a day. I'm allowed to mix and match as long as I keep to 800-1000 calories a day.


What are you struggling with? Hunger? Boredom?

I’m still eating 3 meals. No sugar, nothing bad , no binging but still eating 3 meals. My dr & Nutrionist haven’t put many restrictions on me so I think I’m being too lackadaisical. I’m sharing my truth because I know it will help to keep me accountable! On another note.... aren’t you sooo excited? I’ll follow you & perhaps we can keep up to date on each other’s progress progress !!! 😄

Ah yes, mine is still 3 meals a day too unless I have a shake for two of the meals. I am glad I didn't have to do 4 weeks though! I am SUPER excited :D I had my pre-op assessment today, MRSA swabs/bloods/ecg and saw my anaesthetist this morning. She was lovely and doing all that today just made me even more excited. Yes good idea, when we are recovering we can compare stories lol. I honestly can't wait for the 12th, my op is in the afternoon so that is going to be one very long and slow morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok..... I’m proud of myself. I just made a Protein Shake & it’s replacing my late Breakfast . It’s good to be honest & hold myself accountable. Ty guys for your support it means a lot. I don’t have much support from those closest to me so this forum really helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/31/2019 at 10:41, Mikeyy said:



I'll be on 3 shakes a day everyday for 3-4weeks yay 😛






Wow weee! My nutritionist/surgeon seem so laxed compared to most. Best of luck! When’s your surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chiptress said:
16 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:


I'll be on 3 shakes a day everyday for 3-4weeks yay 😛


Wow weee! My nutritionist/surgeon seem so laxed compared to most. Best of luck! When’s your surgery?

Yeah My surgeon wants V.L.C.D

Also it prepares you for the first few weeks post op which will be mostly shakes anyway while on liquids so he feels it gets your body and mind set before surgery begins and even shed a few kgs at the same time!

Planned for end of Sep but doctor going overseas to train other surgeons so I've been pushed back to end of October so still got plenty of time to prepare myself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I'll be on 3 shakes a day everyday for 3-4weeks yay 😛

oh that sucks, yeah my diet is just to help shrink the liver and make it floppy so it is easy to move, no other reason. I was told 2 weeks only as bmi is 36 so lower end of the scale. Be strong Mikeyy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chiptress said:

Ok.... honesty time. I’m having my surgery 8/12/19. My pre-op requires 1st week 2 meals 1 Protein Shake. 2nd week 2 shakes 1 meal. Today should be my 3rd day of 2 meals 1 shake but I’m struggling. I think I’m still thinking about how restrictive my life will be post op. Normally I have great discipline. People around me always comment on how when I put my mind to something I do it. Does or did Anyone else have this problem?

I'm sure many people do but the reasons to do it properly are compelling.

1. Reduced liver fat so that it remains flexible and mobile enough to lift and move without breaking/tearing/bruising (not small enough and Surgeon may decide to cancel surgery and just close up WHILE in surgery)

2. Kictstarts Ketogenesis and increases overall weightloss total

3. Prepares you for life immediately post op where your diet will be just liquids for a while

4. Detoxes you off Sugar/Carb filled foods so cravings may be reduced or eliminated

5. Proves (even if just to yourself) that you can follow directions and adhere to sound medical plans/advice. Compliance to your program *may* net you the best possible outcome

Good Luck 💜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chiptress said:

Ok.... honesty time. I’m having my surgery 8/12/19. My pre-op requires 1st week 2 meals 1 Protein Shake. 2nd week 2 shakes 1 meal. Today should be my 3rd day of 2 meals 1 shake but I’m struggling. I think I’m still thinking about how restrictive my life will be post op. Normally I have great discipline. People around me always comment on how when I put my mind to something I do it. Does or did Anyone else have this problem?

Absolutely, I think I have to let go of the have nots and get back on my discipline routine. I'm normally so strong and focused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • CrowLuv

      My Quote of the Day 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael  »  RNY 2ND RODEO

      ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
      🕒🕒🕒Happy Surgery Day & Good Luck🕒🕒🕒
      ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      Looks like I need people around to complete a 10K.  I tried to do one by myself this afternoon and I gave up at around the 7km mark.  Gonna try again on Friday, but I may have to look into joining a running club...
      · 1 reply
      1. FluffyChix

        Join a running club!!! Woot!!!

    • d711

      post op 2 months
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      My Surgeon asked me a question the other day and i didn't give it a lot of thought at the time.
      He asked "do you tell"
      we were talking about peoples reaction to seeing me since i lost such a large amount of me.
      I answered that i do tell if they ask but that it seems most everyone is afraid to mention it if they haven't seen me in a while or they decided they already know the answer so they don't need the truth from me (we all know those types)
      I have had exactly one family friend come right out and ask me how i lost so much weight this year and i told her i had Gastric Sleeve.
      I am sure family has passed it around to other family (you have that type family don't you? or is it just me)  
      So that left me wondering "do you tell" and i dont mean right at surgery time. more like a year or so down the road do you say how or do you just say cut out the sugar and carbs and WAALAA
      Its a real personal choice to open yourself up to that kind of criticism and we know all about how we took the "Easy" way and yada yada yada.
      hope everyone is having a great week
      · 3 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        If people ask, I am open about it

      2. ms.sss

        I'm about 10 months post op, and my standard answer is I eat way less and exercise way more (oh, and I cut the carbs by a lot). The only people I told were Mr., the Kid, BFF and my Mom.

      3. FluffyChix

        People know cuz my sissies have big mouths. And when skinny peeps ask out of morbid curiousity and they are "related" somehow to me, I look at em and arch my eyebrow and smile like, WTF? Then I just shrug and say, "I can neither confirm nor deny." (I've practiced this in the mirror many times. LOL!)

        But today, I was talking to a lady in my oncologist's office and she said "Oh don't you love you Surgeon X - bariatric surgeon? I'm in her weigh loss program!" And so I really opened up to her and talked frankly about the program and the surgery and details and how I'm so much happier and healthier, etc. So there has to be a real genuine need and desire for comraderie--otherwise, "Bye Felicia..."

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×