Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to tell my children and grandchildren I'm having weight loss surgery

How should I tell my children and grandchildren I'm having weight loss surgery, My oldest children know.

29 minutes ago, Summer56 said:

How should I tell my children and grandchildren I'm having weight loss surgery, My oldest children know.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.

What are their ages? You may want to talk with their parents on how to approach this subject. The wonderful thing is they are going to see you get healthy.

I would just go over the facts of it. How you do that is dependent on your kids. My approach was very factual, this is why, these are the risks, etc. We talked about the health reasons, but also touched on the societal/professional realities of being extremely obese, etc and how complicated it all is. As I’ve lost, I’ve continued having open ongoing conversations with them. I’m honest, we talk about things in an “isn’t that interesting?” sort of way. It’s what works for us. Your family might be totally different.

Depending on their ages, I wouldn’t. Children don’t need the added stress

I told my oldest daughter not telling any of the children or grandchildren because they are rude about weight I've gained. Saying don't eat this or that. Your getting bigger and need exercise. So I am going show all the bay sayers I can lose weight.
It will depend if you have an open dialogue with them and they respect you.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app