Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post-op, in LOTS of pain and need a pep talk

I had my surgery on Monday July 1st. It is now Wed July 3rd, I'm at home and I am in so much pain! I expected to be uncomfortable, but I didn't expect anything near this level of discomfort. Laying in bed on my back hurts, sitting up hurts, taking a sip of Water hurts, and taking pain medicine hurts. The incisions hurt, my intestines hurt, and everything inside of my chest cavity hurts and feels wrong. I had an appendectomy a decade ago and recovery was maybe 1/10th of the pain that I'm experiencing now.

I can't say I regret the surgery because I needed it, But I am starting to wonder how much longer I will feel like a mangled piece of meat. And I feel foolish for not expecting it to be this bad. Was it this bad for all of you guys too? How much longer did it take for you to feel better?

A silver lining is that for the first time in years I have zero interest in food, so at least it fixed my overactive appetite.

Please tell me it's worth it and it gets better?

Hang in there, it will get better. I had mine in January, ended up staying 4 days in the hospital. Pain, pain, pain plus vomiting and general misery. About the 3rd day though it started to slowly get better. I know it feels like forever but you will slowly improve. I was very angry with myself for having had the surgery at first but I have come around and now am happy I did. Patience is key. Walk all you can and sip, sip, sip your Water. Best wishes!

Keep sipping liquids, sugar fee popsicles, hydration is the total goal right now.

Walk and walk some more it will help with getting the air out of the stomach cavity and relieve some pain. When laying down put a heating pad on your incisions it will feel good.

Swallowing - warm Decaf tea, or broth soothes the esophagus and relaxes the muscles in the stomach area.

Yes - sleeping was difficult for a couple weeks. Rest as much as you can, move slowly when sitting up, then stand for 30 seconds before walking - blood pressure can drop after this surgery. Hold hand rail on steps, not kidding I nearly passed out - this can also be a sign of dehydration - it is next to impossible to catch up once you are in it. Pinch your wrist skin and make sure it contracts back nicely, if not push that liquid. Try to get Protein drinks in, if shakes are gagging get some Isopure ready-made blue raspberry or punch. Or Syntax nectar. Some smells may make you nauseous and food may taste weird. I could not tolerate chocolate, got sick on sf pudding and even now it doesn't do much for me.

This time seems to drag forever, but it gets better once you get to mushy stage. Welcome to the 'other side'!

Edited by Sosewsue61

I also had the sleeve July 1 and feeling like crap. Hard to drink the 64oz Water and even harder the Protein Drinks. I just recieved some Protein water to try as soon as it cools down in the fridge. I also noticed my temp was 99.3 just now.. any thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there! You had MAJOR surgery. Take the pain medication, get sleep, keep sipping, you will feel better. I'll check your posts daily. Or you can email me. Brian@DrBrianSays.com

You will start feeling better. Keep walking also. It gets better. I had my surgery June 20, took pain meds twice a day, afternoon and evening for 6 days. Now, none. You did the right thing by having this surgery.

Sip, walk, sleep, repeat.

3 hours ago, Supersecret said:

I had my surgery on Monday July 1st. It is now Wed July 3rd, I'm at home and I am in so much pain! I expected to be uncomfortable, but I didn't expect anything near this level of discomfort. Laying in bed on my back hurts, sitting up hurts, taking a sip of Water hurts, and taking pain medicine hurts. The incisions hurt, my intestines hurt, and everything inside of my chest cavity hurts and feels wrong. I had an appendectomy a decade ago and recovery was maybe 1/10th of the pain that I'm experiencing now.

I can't say I regret the surgery because I needed it, But I am starting to wonder how much longer I will feel like a mangled piece of meat. And I feel foolish for not expecting it to be this bad. Was it this bad for all of you guys too? How much longer did it take for you to feel better?

A silver lining is that for the first time in years I have zero interest in food, so at least it fixed my overactive appetite.

welcome to my world the first 10 days after surgery i was in horrific pain i had to take my pain meds every 4 hours...i could not sleep or lie down i had to sleep sitting in a chair.. good thing about the pain meds they made you very sleepy so i got some sleep in...

Edited by johnedwin

My surgery was July 1st as well so I completely sympathize with the sleeping. I have yet to get a good nights sleep since surgery. No position is comfortable. Hope this passes soon cause I’m always so wiped out. But I only need pain meds at night to get a little sleep.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. I discovered the pain meds make it really easy to sleep though so that's all I've been doing the past few days. Also I finally passed gas this morning and it feels so much better! I'm still in pain, but it's starting to get to the point where it's bearable. And I'm down 11 lbs!!!!! I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Edited by Supersecret

Ive experienced and still feeling lower back pain and shoulder pain , had my surgery 6/17, can tolerate my Protein Shakes just hard to gulp 64oz of liquids when in the past used to finish in a jiffy, starting two weeks post op anyone w ideas on what's a good thing to try to eat after 2 weeks?

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my sleeve done Nov 2018 and all I remember my surgeon telling me is to drink Water nothing but water and if I can get the Protein Shakes in great if not then water. You have to sip. It's not like it use to be where we could just gulp our food and drinks down. It takes time. As far as the pain I remember taking pain meds for atleast a week, mind you I had a major surgery at 13 weeks pregnant where I was cut from my belly button all the way down and didn't take 1 pain medicine because of my baby. But in this case I had to. It hurt to cough, and get out of bed and even car rides that's why I slept on the couch for atleast a good 2 weeks. And make sure to get up and walk about 10 min every hour it will help with the gas in your belly. It does get so much easier and you did an awesome job making the choice to have the surgery. At this point eating is not a priority. Sipping water, walking frequently are important. And of course try to sip on your Protein shakes. You won't be able to drink 64 oz and have 3 shakes a day but it is the goal. You will eventually be able to do it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using BariatricPal mobile app

As far as taking your pain meds are you crushing it up and putting it in a little medicine cup mixed with Water? That's what I did. It taste nasty because I had to sip it but it worked for me.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Ask your doctor for liquid pain medication. I had Tylenol with codeine. 10 ML and I was out.

Hang in there! You had MAJOR surgery. Take the pain medication, get sleep, keep sipping, you will feel better. I'll check your posts daily. Or you can email me. Brian@DrBrianSays.com

You will start feeling better. Keep walking also. It gets better. I had my surgery June 20, took pain meds twice a day, afternoon and evening for 6 days. Now, none. You did the right thing by having this surgery.

Sip, walk, sleep, repeat.