Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein suggestions I finally found a good protein powder

I had such a hard time finding Protein Shakes I could tolerate, they made me feel sick. My nutritionist kept suggesting things that had added iodine (I am allergic) and kept pushing Isopure Protein because it’s 100% whey protein Isolate. But just the smell alone just made me nauseous. And I couldn’t find a powder that mixed well. I tried several RTD Proteins some made me sick, some barely tolerable.

I still need protein shakes due to some swallowing issues so I kept looking. I get a lot of my Vitamins, protein, and a lot of other things on a site called vitacost because I get good deals and coupons and I’m on a tight disability budget. I was searching the site for a certain flavor Protein Powder.

Im posting this for two reasons one being that I finally found a protein powder I like, my gut tolerates and seems to be working out so far. The other is the misconception that only pure whey protein Isolate is healthy. It’s old science. The right blend of protein types is better. This protein is a blend of whey protein Isolate and casein. The company researched how the combination offered more benefits. Because not all whey proteins are equal. One brand might make you sick or trigger lactose intolerance even if they claim to be pure. I haven’t had either with this. And despite my taste buds being out of whack, it seems to taste like it should.

the brand is PEScience Select, I got Peanut Butter cookie, and Cookies & cream. Macros on it for example cookies & cream is 110 calories for 24 grams of protein and less than one gram of sugar. I mix it with 6 ounces of Ripple Milk (a pea protein milk plain unsweetened) that adds 6 grams of protein and about 50 calories no sugar. I mix a little Water usually 2 ounces. It can spoon mix but I use a little milk frother I got for $11. So it’s 160 calories, 30 grams of protein and less than one gram sugar for cookies and cream. It makes a good Breakfast.

They have other flavors, I’d like to try white chocolate peppermint. They also have cake pop, chocolate cupcake and some others. This is their web site for information. Though I bought from vitacost because they have extra savings. And if you sign up they sometimes send email coupons. The powder comes out more affordable than RTD protein. Even adding the Ripple milk.

https://pescience.com/

I also found two other things.

a RTD protein called Koia it’s a plant based Protein Drink but tastes good. Particularly the cinnamon horchata flavor. It’s almond milk and plant proteins. Is 18 grams protein in 12 oz. a little more sugar but 4 grams. Didn’t upset my stomach. I just wish it was a bit more reasonably priced. I managed to find coupons and a sale price in target. But it’s good for a treat and still get protein.

the other is skyr Icelandic yogurt. It’s not cheap. But it’s healthy. 5.3oz of plain is only 3 grams of sugar, 120 calories but 17 grams of protein.

I just wish I could have nature Nate’s organic honey or even Manuka honey (if I could afford it)

i hope this is a little helpful to someone. I tried to make protein ice pops with the protein powder, yogurt and ripple milk. I didn’t taste it yet through ...

this is the little blender. I spoon mixed it and then finished blending with this. I got it for my mom to froth her milk for her tea. But tried it out in the Protein Shake.

https://www.amazon.com/Zulay-Milk-Frother-Handheld-Operated/dp/B074ZL35DH/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_3/145-9322182-5156025?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074ZL35DH&pd_rd_r=9a08ac3e-9b96-11e9-a63e-3ffd9178b097&pd_rd_w=DHbOE&pd_rd_wg=lxSwK&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=27R5Q0P0JYPH4QT8N3TV&psc=1&refRID=27R5Q0P0JYPH4QT8N3TV

I'm glad you found something you like. I have always used the premades as opposed to the powder and I use GNC Lean shakes in chocolate.

Thanks - I have ordered a container to try. 18 months post surgery and I think my current whey powder is now upsetting my stomach, so I am keen to try a variation.

My absolute favourite is one shot of coffee, scoop of powder, dash of milk and 7 ice cubes, in NutriBullet - coffee slushie. I call it my ‘Forever Breakfast’.

Thanks for sharing what you found!

If you having issues with gas etc you may need to find a natural Protein or isolate only