Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon just told me this week I could take Celebrex for my arthritis as long as I take omeprazole. I am one year out from RNY.

I have a horrible heel spur that’s killing me but they still will not budge. Some doctors say Meloxicam is ok for bariatric patients but my team said too much risk. So I use CBD and suck it up till I can have foot surgery in August

Could you use an topical NSAID like diophenic sodium on it. Know that's not proper spelling but it's early in the AM here!

I've been curious about this too. My surgeon said no NSAIDs ever again because of potential ulcers, but I'm curious what to ask for if I need dental work or something like that. They always send me home with 800mg Ibuprofen. Sooo... yeah, seems like there's a lot of conflicting answers 🤷‍♀️

A few times per year I have Migraines so severe that they require injections of meds to get them under control. Those meds do include a nsaid. Surgeon said it’s fine

I use Voltaren Gel topically for pain. It doesn’t help much and is an NSAID but my doc said it’s okay. He just doesn’t want me taking any NSAID pills.

On 04/17/2019 at 12:27, wallpapermusic said:

I've been curious about this too. My surgeon said no NSAIDs ever again because of potential ulcers, but I'm curious what to ask for if I need dental work or something like that. They always send me home with 800mg Ibuprofen. Sooo... yeah, seems like there's a lot of conflicting answers 🤷‍♀️

You can always ask the dentist for a Non-NSAID. Vicodin is popular after dental procedures and it contains Tylenol so it would be safe, assuming you aren’t allergic like I am.

Yeah you're right but I at least don't smell of ligament when I use that Voltaren. I keep reminding me how much,lowered my arthritis pain is now but when I get up in the A M all bets are off!😫

I am allowed absolutely no NSAIDS because I had bypass 2 weeks ago but I was allowed them post sleeve after a short period of healing. Surgeon said I can try Mobic/meloxicam in about 6 months but will have to watch closely for ulcers. Bypass was a difficult decision since I rely on Mobic for my ankylosing spondylitis (similar to RA). Hopefully once I restart humira I’ll be okay. Tylenol is a big thumbs down.

I take Tramadol for my degenerative disc disease.

And I have a warning that others might not consider. Don't take a demulcent- containing enity with your NSAID, if you are permitted to take them. This includes a lot of your over-the-counter cough medicines. It is still my belief this is why Advil was able to get through my natural gastric protective layer and to the BEST of its ABILITY try chewing a hole through my stomach wall. zH3nce Hector, my 1sr little gastric ulcer.

@jasmineinmymind I have several painful heel spurs. Just an FYI but my podiatrist does not remove them. He said they will come back and be worse than they were to start. I make sure that I wear good shoes with good arch support and it helps tremendously.
He did say that many drs do remove but he does not. It made a lot of sense when he explained it to me. That was several years ago.
Just wanted to toss that info out there for you.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:11 AM, jasmineinmymind said:

I have a horrible heel spur that’s killing me but they still will not budge. Some doctors say Meloxicam is ok for bariatric patients but my team said too much risk. So I use CBD and suck it up till I can have foot surgery in August

See my post above. Was not able to quote in the app.

Btw- I have horrible arthritis in my hands, knees and elbow. My surgeon said I could take Celebrex as long as I take ppi.

I use turmeric capsules and they work awesome for inflammation. You do need to use the kind that contains bioperine ( black pepper) in order to absorb it though. Maybe the op could try it now while still pre op. Sounds crazy but it truly works! I have been using it for years now.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, wallpapermusic said:

I just had 8 teeth removed ( for top denture) and had this same thing come up. My dentist gave me a non nsaid for pain that worked very well. You just need to let them know you are a wls patient and can’t take nsaids. They know what to give you.

I asked my surgeons office the same question. I was told no pampering, and no midol due to high risk of ulcers and upset stomachs caused by the aspirin and NSIDS. I now use a combination of essential oils and Tylenol.

My periods and PMS have been about the same after surgery. But I was in the beginning of menopause when I had surgery.