Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

KU Medical vs Kansas City Bariatric Center

Does anybody have any experience with either of these programs? I am have narrowed it down to Dr. Dunshee at KU or Dr. Hoehn at KC Bariatric.

I had my procedure at Olathe Medical Center because I'm an employee there (surgical nurse) and know the bariatric surgeon and have seen him in action. Didn't really look at other programs in the KC area. The only input I can give is that a Nurse Anesthetist had planned on taking a job at KC Bariatric and decided not to based on the fact that "money came before patient care" and in surgery specifically the patient's were allotted one and only one bag of IV saline for the procedure whether they could benefit from the extra Fluid or not. During the conversation that followed, we in the operating room discussed how it isn't uncommon for private, physician owned hospitals to cut costs this way. Every penny saved is a penny in their pockets. At a bigger medical center like KU however, that surgical team wont see any more income from your procedure by being chintzy with IV solutions, supplies and medications. These stories are ones that I hear of from not just bariatric centers but freestanding surgery centers that do orthopedics or other procedures.

For me the fact that the CRNA in question would decline a pay increase based on the integrity and care standards is a red flag for KC Bariatric.

Dunshee is very cut and dry. He does his surgery and then doesn't order basic things his pts may need after surgery (nausea meds, tylenol for fever) resulting in nurses having to call and time wasted. Personal experience with him. I would go with Dr. Hu or Dr. McAllaster.

I was successfully sleeved by Dr. Bernita Berntsen (she's very good) and assistant surgeon Dr.Hu

On 4/10/2019 at 4:14 AM, micamays said:

Dunshee is very cut and dry. He does his surgery and then doesn't order basic things his pts may need after surgery (nausea meds, tylenol for fever) resulting in nurses having to call and time wasted. Personal experience with him. I would go with Dr. Hu or Dr. McAllaster.

What make you reccomend Dr Hu or Mcallister? Also what about Dr Berntsern? I am self pay and my insurance will not pay for any complications. My biggest worry is getting a complication. So I guess my thinking was Dr Dunshee is the department head and has the most experiance. This is such a hard decision to make. I really appreciate your input.

What make you reccomend Dr Hu or Mcallister? Also what about Dr Berntsern? I am self pay and my insurance will not pay for any complications. My biggest worry is getting a complication. So I guess my thinking was Dr Dunshee is the department head and has the most experiance. This is such a hard decision to make. I really appreciate your input.
Dr. Hu patients rarely come back with complications. Same for mcallaster. Both are very thorough and kind. Bernsten is very good as well I forgot to mention her, she is chill and knows her stuff. As far as coming back, I haven't noticed many of dunshee pts. It isnt like he is a bad surgeon, he is very good at what he does. As a nurse taking care of his patients though i see them go through things they shouldnt have to sometimes (needlessly nauseated >1hr because we have to go through the process of getting zofran for example) because he doesn't do some basic after surgery orders.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery with Dr. Sidney Hu in Topeka Dec 2018 and my sister had surgery with Dr. Hoen 4 years ago in KC. I definitely agree with a statement that KC bariatric only seemed interested in money and what they could charge for. I was a cash-pay patient and I absolutely loved all of my treatment I received from Dr. Hu and her staff. Even the nurse that checked me in and got my IV going had been through sleeve surgery so it was nice to be around people who knew exactly what I was going through. Dr. Hu has been amazing at all of my appointments and her staff is very warm and welcoming. I was my sister support person during her stay at KC Bariatric so I also saw them first hand with patient care. Granted they do have a great facility but I always seemed judged or felt that the surgeons were a little bit snooty and not very attentive. I am not one to need attention or coddled but in my personal experience with both centers I definitely felt more like an actual person at KU Med vs feeling like a statistic at KC Bariatric. Regardless we both had great results but very different experiences.

Edited by KSinOZ

I was successfully sleeved by Dr. Bernita Berntsen (she's very good) and assistant surgeon Dr.Hu
BTW i had my VSG in Topeka. It was done as outpatient surgery (stayed less than 23hrs at Tallgrass clinic). Dr.Berntsen has 30yrs experience as a surgery. She performed very many successful bariatric surgeries on my present and former coworkers. She's compassionate and provides very good pre and post op care.