Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra skin Vs. fat

When did you start to notice excess skin from your weight loss. I have lost about 50 lbs. and not sure if my belly is more fat or skin???....It's definitely hanging more.

I'm sorry if this seems like a weird question :cry

I wonder how much the excess skin weighs???

Hmmm, I'll go out on a limb and say most people that have post surgery tummy tucks etc have a lot of fat still under that skin - if you ever see true excess skin only aprons, they're rather thin. But that's fine, why on earth NOT get rid of the fat and the skin in one fell swoop. So more likely than not, your belly is skin AND fat. Lots of fat deposits hang around that are near on impossible to shift with diet and exercise, I have a mid abdominal pouch that just wont go.

Its only at the very end of my journey that I could truly say I've noticed excess skin, - that crepy wrinkly stuff. I have it on the very bottom of my belly - hidden by even hipster bikinis thank goodness, and the tops of my breasts which is the only spot of my body where I have bad bad stretchmarks - ironically from puberty, not pregnancy or weight gain. I've had a consultation for a breast lift, which I will probably have in a year or two and been told that even still, that crepey empty flaccid skin will remain, it would take an implant to fill it out.

Actually a bit of extra skin doesnt worry me, skin and skin alone to the degree I have it is completely invisible even in a bikini. But the fat that gives you that muffin top, erk. For me though, I'm trying to suffer it out and lose more weight as I simply cannot afford $13,000 worth of Lipo at this stage of my life.

I had an apron before being banded, Im SURE it has alot of fat in it as well. But it was there prior to surgery due to my kids. It has gotten worse , I have lost almost 50 lbs now . The other day i was putting my hair in a pony tail and looked over and almost threw up , my arms , no kidding seemingly over night have developed hanging skin bat wings if you will.

I am not sure if i would have gotten these or not but i lost nearly 30 lbs last month alone . I have a feeling that has something to do with it ?

I am HORRIFIED. I really did not want the arm surgery the scar is so bad looking . I think i thought because of my age i wouldnt need it ? So much for that LMAO

SO i think I answered your questions.

BUT I DO plan on having a Tummy Tuck , boob job and apprantly now my arms, I will have what ever plastics i need LMAO

MIndy

Actually a bit of extra skin doesnt worry me, skin and skin alone to the degree I have it is completely invisible even in a bikini. But the fat that gives you that muffin top, erk. For me though, I'm trying to suffer it out and lose more weight as I simply cannot afford $13,000 worth of Lipo at this stage of my life.

I heard "muffin top " from a friend the other day and I about fell on the floor laughing . I was explaing to her that I needed to buy a larger size jeans that i really needed due to the skin/fat on my waist . and it still bunched up and she said " OH you have a muffin top " I said WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT " LMAO She explained it to me . I had no idea there was a name for it

Mindy :faint:

I think it is a combo of both...

I once lost 110 lbs and I had the extra tummy skin removed (AKA "pannus" or "apron"). The surgeron removed 12lbs of skin and fat. YUCK!

I have noticed, going through these boards, that many end up getting a Tummy Tuck afterwards. My husband lost 100 pounds naturally, and he drank a glass of o.j. with Calcium everyday and he said that made his skin elastic. he had no hanging skin and his stretchmarks were barely visible. I need to lose about 130 pounds (I want to keep some of my womanly curves), so hopefully I won't have the hanging belly too.

When did you start to notice excess skin from your weight loss. I have lost about 50 lbs. and not sure if my belly is more fat or skin???....It's definitely hanging more.

I'm sorry if this seems like a weird question :cry

I wonder how much the excess skin weighs???

Extra skin will weigh very little. It's really surprising how thin (especially stretched skin) is.

When I had my Tummy Tuck, I was at a healthy weight for my height, and my pannus was fairly thin. But, it still weighed close to 2lbs. There was fat in what they took off, for sure.

I think the OJ & skin thing was a coincidence. Your skin is eastic, or it isn't. You can't really just make it stretchy. But you can have good genes, good health, and just happen to drink OJ too. :cool:

Jachut is right on. If you see someone who has lost their excess fat, there's a huge difference in the skin there, and the skin you see in a lot of pics here. I wish I had thought to bookmark it, but I was once directed to a website with pics from a lady trying to get insurance approval for PS. She had RnY and had lost all of her excess weight plus some. She was *thin*. One of the pics was her laying flat on the ground, and her skin spread out around her like a puddle of Water. No thickness to it, it just literally hung. Most of the time you see the skin hanging but still looking full. This wasn't the case, it really was empty.

I hoper her insurance approved her. My friend said that her insurance approves it if the skin is causing pain and issues. And, judging from that story, it sounds like the extra skin definitely causes issues.

My insurance would not approve it...I had Dr. letters and even pictures of rashes, etc. Then I appealed through the company I work for and they approved it, so the insurance covered it.

The only fear I have is the excess skin...it's the one thing that is making me hesitate about having the surgery, even though I'm doing the pre-op diet and have a scheduled appointment with the surgeon!