Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transition from liquids to pureed food

I'm finishing my first week post-op liquid diet today and will transition to pureed food tomorrow. The past week has been quite easy because there is essentially no choice involved. However, I'm a bit worried about constructing my own diet from now on that ensures enough Protein. Did any of you find that difficult at first? Does it get easier?

Edited by Recidivist

Typically, you continue doing what you were before, getting most of your Protein from the Protein Drinks, and add in more of the thicker and more solid foods allowed, but the protein drinks are usually a staple for a while. You can try adding unflavored Protein Powder into Jello, make instant pudding with protein powder added; sloppy oatmeal or cream of wheat are often allowed at this point (check with your doc's plan on what exactly they allow when.)

Our program was basically a month long transition into "real" food, with liquids, purees, mushies and soft foods allowed whenever they were tolerated - the basic rule was to try new foods one at a time to test for your tolerance and if they worked ok, then great. If not, go back to known foods and try that one again in a week or two. Then try something else the next meal, etc. Over time, the protein drinks were fully replaced with real food, but given the small amounts that we typically can eat at a time, particularly as things get more solid, the drinks may be there for a while.

Definitely, follow the recommendations, if you were given some type of manual. Also, I find that journaling, or using MyFitnessPal, Baritastic, etc., have been helpful as well. Not to mention lots on the internet.

Protein Powder just went in everything when I was at that stage. High Protein yogurt, Soup with protein, applesauce with protein, Jello with protein, hummus with protein.. you get the idea. I bought and still buy bariatric food items from the BariatricPal Store. The points I get participating in forums helps get it discounted and I can always hit the free shipping if I include purchasing my Vitamins through them as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches