Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anybrits Here that had surgery abroad within Europe?

This is my first post so here’s little history...I’m 5’9, I weigh 235-240 lbs, I’m hoping to be anywhere between 140 & 160 lbs. I come from a long line of morbidly obese women, both my mother and grandmother have had weight loss surgery, although my mother had a failed lap band and has now developed diabetes, while my Nan has lost 9 stone and her diabetes is practically cured-so as you can see, my genes don’t help. I’ve lost 2-5 stone a few times, only to end up right back where I am now, I always thought surgery was out of my reach, financially, but now I realise, I need to do everything I can to enjoy my life and as much a hate admitting it, my happiness always seems directly correlated with my weight.

Over the last couple of days I’ve been to the ends of the internet doing research into different surgery types and I feel like I’ve settled onthe sleeve procedure ( be happy for a surgeon to offer alternatives if they believe they’d suit me better) Once I decided on that, I then had to research prices, care packages, reviews and which country to travel to. For me, the expense of having it done here just isn’t possible. (It’s £8-12,000 here, vs £4-7000 in other parts of Europe) and I wouldn’t qualify for it on the NHS.

FINALLY, MY QUESTION,

where have you brits, or other Europeans, travelled for your surgeries? What kind of costs were there? Any surprise costs? How was your experience? Do you feel you were supported enough throughout the entire procedure? Did you need to take a partner with you? Is it possible to go on your own if you’d rather? Did the hospital arrange hotels/flights etc? I’d love any feedback and stories, many thanks :)

Hi Pippa. I live in Ireland but I had my surgery done with Dr Chris DeBruyne in Belgium and I cannot speak highly enough of him and his team.

http://belgiumsurgeryservices.com/

The Jan Portaels hospital was excellent, and the nursing staff all spoke English to me. Very professional.

I had a revision from lapband to mini-gastric bypass but he does the sleeve as well. You can talk with him and/or his team as to which would be the best option for you.

The website lists all the costs for the surgery packages and there were no other costs except the flights for me from Dublin to Belgium.

I took my hubby but you don't have to bring someone if you don't want to (much better if you do because they can help you with your luggage and being there for you). Also book assistance at the airport for the return trip so you can be driven around on a scooter and you won't have to walk / stand for a long time. You might still be a little sore afterwards.

The hotel is a very short walk away from the hospital and also the town (there's a Lidl right nearby).

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you, this is one of the sites I had looked at :)

I had my bill a few weeks ago, the whole surgery including all was a little over 9000 euro's so quite comparable to the UK, I'd say. Luckily my operation was completely covered by the insurance, apart from the mandatory 350 euros per year, which I had already spent. Yay for a good health insurance system right?
Anyway, good luck finding a good place for surgery.

29 minutes ago, tequillarny said:

Look around in Lithuania. I'm Lithuanian, so for me the surgery will be only 1600€, but for foreigner it's around 5000€. If u want I can search more for you.

Sent from my EML-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks :) that’s very kind of you to offer but I think I’ve found somewhere that i’ve really warmed up to. I was looking mostly Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia but it was weightlossRiga in Latvia that has caught my attention, they’re extremely upfront about everything.

They seem to have a lot more avenues to social media where you can find real reviews and daily journals of people that are there right now, I been quizzing a lady about the staff and facilities all day while she’s waiting to be discharged after the sleeve surgery she had 36 hours ago! Also, upon enquiry, they sent me a TONNE more information than the other (8?) clinics i’ve Emailed, including a fully detailed eating plan, Vitamin plan and they include a free session with a nutritionist back in the UK once you can eat solid food. Their price covers literally everything from the minute you land to the minute you get back to the airport, hotels, transport etc They outline a typical day-to-day itinerary of how each day would play out and things to expect throughout the duration along with links to their private Facebook page with access to speak with dozens of their own pre and post op patients. I must say, I’m hugely impressed by what I’ve found so far.

I emailed 2 uk companies in London out of curiosity too and got the most matter-of-fact robotic responses that still didn’t answer the questions I asked...which Is good, because I detest going to London!

Thanks [emoji4] that’s very kind of you to offer but I think I’ve found somewhere that i’ve really warmed up to. I was looking mostly Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia but it was weightlossRiga in Latvia that has caught my attention, they’re extremely upfront about everything.
They seem to have a lot more avenues to social media where you can find real reviews and daily journals of people that are there right now, I been quizzing a lady about the staff and facilities all day while she’s waiting to be discharged after the sleeve surgery she had 36 hours ago! Also, upon enquiry, they sent me a TONNE more information than the other (8?) clinics i’ve Emailed, including a fully detailed eating plan, Vitamin plan and they include a free session with a nutritionist back in the UK once you can eat solid food. Their price covers literally everything from the minute you land to the minute you get back to the airport, hotels, transport etc They outline a typical day-to-day itinerary of how each day would play out and things to expect throughout the duration along with links to their private Facebook page with access to speak with dozens of their own pre and post op patients. I must say, I’m hugely impressed by what I’ve found so far.
I emailed 2 uk companies in London out of curiosity too and got the most matter-of-fact robotic responses that still didn’t answer the questions I asked...which Is good, because I detest going to London!

I'm so happy you found even better than what you were expecting for!
I'm having rny on april first. Fools day ha ha[emoji16]
Hope u decide on a date fast. [emoji6]

Sent from my EML-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app