Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very upset after nutritionist appointment

On 2/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, Simples said:

She said i'll have to eat 100 grams of Protein after surgery and this sounds like A LOT! No way i'll be able to do this! I feel like she has a problem with the fact that i'm a vegetarian.

How do you guys eat after surgery? I hate this Protein, protein, protein mentality.

You are pre op and worried you wont be able to consume enough protein in your diet plan.

60 to 100 is the norm set by dieticians. Honestly, hitting a protein goal is not a big deal. Eating and getting your calories and macros becomes normal over time.

No one, Absolutely no one on this site eats a 100% protein diet. (Other foods are included in your plan) As you progress out, your restriction becomes less. It’s much easier to eat a variety of food and still get your protein in. Vegan protein sources are wonderful.

The bariatric mantra of “protein first” is only in the beginning stages. Newly out from surgery your pouch restriction is tight. It’s hard to consume 500/800 calories. Your calories and ability to consume more food will increase over time.

Hi,

This topic drives me nuts because it just builds fear and people hit me with this all the time. Grr.

My nutritionist doesn't think surgery is right for me unless i start eating meat. I think its just old school training. I gave her a copy of the China Study and Forks over Knives and calculated my actual daily Protein intake on My Fitness Pal.

Using accepted protein calculations, the same ones she uses, heres what I found.

Your protein needs should be based on a healthy weight rather than the weight you are before surgery. Fat doesn't require protein so adding excess weight into the calculations is silly. At 5ft 4 all I need is 60 to 70 grams of protein and that is probably high for me. During recovery when my body is trying to heal or when Im trying to gain muscle, my body would require more.

The lobbyists decide what goes in the medical books but the information is out there from reliable scientific studies. Many green leafy veggies have about 10% protein built in. You need to consider all sources of protein when calculating your daily intake. I admit this will be harder and some supplementation will be required after surgery, but I swear my nutritionist stopped reading when she graduated school, about 20 years ago. Sad but true.( She still thinks cows milk is a good source of Calcium but it has been proven to do more harm to your bones than good as the calcium molecule is to coarse for us to use..)

To much animal protein is just as dangerous for the body as too little. Animal protein has been linked to heart disease and cancer. Read the China study, do your research and do whats best for you. There is a whole healthy vegan community out there thriving, working out, building muscle all while eating a plant based diet without excess supplements.

Sorry for the rant, hope it helps.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:54 PM, elcee said:

Protein is really important. I am sure that as a vegetarian it is still possible to get that much Protein.

I dont think it is but would love to know how to get in 90-100G of protein in vegetarian food in around 600 calories without relying solely on shakes. IF ANYONE has a breakdown of how they do it, I would follow it to a T because its impossible as far as I can see unless you have all greek yogurt and cottage cheese all day long... And no one should eat an all dairy diet.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Simples said:

She said i'll have to eat 100 grams of Protein after surgery and this sounds like A LOT! No way i'll be able to do this! I feel like she has a problem with the fact that i'm a vegetarian.

How do you guys eat after surgery? I hate this Protein, protein, protein mentality.

personally i have found this impossible without shakes and even then its hard AF... And if you dont have dairy? Forget it. SO id love to know how you progressed.

I think to hit Protein goals as a vegetarian can be somewhat challenging but not impossible.

But you would be eating a crapton of soy, or quorn, or other protein equivalents in addition to a large amount of peas, legumes, Beans, etc. And the question is whether you lose weight as quickly when you have a high carb diet. Most do it wrong and also add in high fat which makes weight loss stall. But if your doing super low fat, then many people experience great results.

I do have a vegan friend who is 6 months out from WLS and her doc wants her vegan and she is struggling with a low protein/albumin/prealbumin level. So she's not absorbing her soy and pea protein supplements.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:56 AM, Simples said:

I was ready to hear that i had to have around 60gr and that was fine with me, it's just that 100gr seems impossible fod me as a vegetarian, really. It's not that i'm not commited. It's that it doesn't sound realistic at all. Most vegetarians i know eat around 30 or 40, even the ones who've undergone the surgery.

I found this to be absolutely true too. OMG I WISH I could eat meat it would be so much easier to get in Protein but unfortunately since I was a child I have loathed it. Cant frigging stand it no matter how it was prepared I would spit it out even as a toddler. Once in a blue moon i can stand some fish but not on a consistent basis and facts are fish sources are all so filled with mercury these days you shouldn't have much anyway. So it leaves dairy (how Vegans pull this level of protein off with such low calories, i have no idea) and shakes or powders which can spike insulin allegedly etc etc. I get it, it feels like a no win situation.

Edited by Serengirl

Here is a good article on complete plant based Proteins sources. You need to make sure your Protein sources have all the essential amino acids.

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/g26895324/complete-protein-foods-list/

Vegan, 18 months PO VSG. Today I got 120g Protein in.

shakes bro!

On 2/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Simples said:

100grams is unusually high. My program was not supportive of vegans or vegetarians at all. I was shocked. If you get in 40 or 50 to begin, and work up to 60 you will be just fine. I added in a my home brew super green foods and Protein Powder each day to water.. It helps ALOT.

I found these they might help. Trader Joe’s has a vegan hi Protein burgers 26g protein and this coffee flavor shake was amazing got it a the Vitamin shop

image-0.0050067901611328125.jpg

You can drink Protein Shakes or make your own. You should aim to eat a lot if protein enriched foods like canned tuna, etc. You can also add powdered protein in other goods like Soups, Breakfast cereals, vegetables, beverages

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You can drink Protein Shakes or make your own. You should aim to eat a lot if protein enriched foods like canned tuna, etc. You can also add powdered protein in other goods like Soups, breakfast cereals, vegetables, beverages

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

02/22/2019image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

I am a full on vegan. I eat whole food plant based diet. I had surgery July 2020. As long as you eat your veggies n some Beans even a sweet potato they all have Protein. I have amazing blood results I only take Vitamin D and B complex every other day. I have lost 106 lb n kept it off even after recovering from a total hip surgery one year almost to the day from my sleeve surgery. You should not fear the crazy high protein. Your body will let you know what it needs. There is always Vegan Protein Shakes and you can blend some green smoothies n drink through out the day. You will be fine. I love listening to Dr Garth Davis’s lectures on YouTube. He is a vegan Bariatric surgeon. Why don’t you give him a listen. You will probably have less stress feeling after you hear him and feel more confident in the process. Good luck!