Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve to gastric bypass



Recommended Posts

About 5 years ago. I had gastric sleeve surgery. I lost weight for the first year. I had just lost my mom and I turned to alcohol and I gained all the weight back and then some. My sleeve is stretched. I went back to my Dr. to see what can be done and she suggested a gastric bypass which is what I wanted to do. I have to have an Endoscopy done before knowing the full picture, but I don't having dumping syndrome now and i was wondering if i will get it later? I has anyone had this surgery done? What advise would you give? I am going to make do diligence not to stretch my new pouch out. If I get approved.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had sleeve a year and a half ago and next month I’m getting bypass for GERD. All the research says your pouch can’t actually stretch except momentarily while you eat but it’s possible your doctor didn’t make your stomach small enough. The size depends on individual anatomy. Your endoscopy will show more detail

Dumping is a real reality with bypass. Not everyone gets it but I believe it’s a pretty high %. Haven’t looked at numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m also having a revision from sleeve to bypass at the end of May. I originally got a referral to my surgeon because of reflux (I’ve been on a ppi since the day of surgery... 7 years ago!) but as he works with a bariatric clinic he insisted I go through the clinic’s program even though he has warned me numerous times that I won’t lose much weight (ouch!)

I haven’t found a whole lot online about weight loss success after revision especially from people that had some regain after their sleeve.

Im motivated to get off the meds but knowing that it would help me with this regain would be extra motivating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a sleeve done just over 5 years ago. I lost a lot of weight very quickly and managed to keep it off. However, I had ongoing issues with gastritis, GERD, and GI motility. At the beginning of 2019 those issues got much worse. I ended up being hospitalized because I couldn’t eat or drink and was in terrible pain. I had a great bariatric surgeon who was persistent in figuring out what was happening. He determined that my sleeve was not functioning, everything I ate stayed in my stomach and esophagus for way too long. After trying several non-surgical interventions we ended up having to convert to a bypass 4 weeks ago.

The conversion to bypass has been a completely different recovery than when I had my sleeve. I never had dumping with the sleeve, and I learned the signs of being full easily. After the bypass, I don’t have any sensation of fullness until I suddenly have terrible stabbing pain under my left collarbone. I also have experienced both the “slimeys” and dumping multiple times. Dumping syndrome is no joke. I’ll immediately start to feel flushed, weak, intense nausea, and within 10 minutes have diarrhea. The only relief is to lie down for a couple of hours until the weakness and nausea pass. I never vomited after my sleeve, but following the bypass my stomach will randomly reject something, even if I’ve eaten it successfully before, and I’ll vomit it all back up.

The positive side of the conversion is that I have no reflux at all anymore. After living with terrible GERD for decades, even after my sleeve, that’s a huge relief. It has been a struggle to try to stop losing weight after this surgery, because I’m way under my target weight. The only advice I’d give to you is expect that this will be an entirely new journey, and some of the things that worked after your sleeve won’t work this time around. Be patient with yourself and follow your diet restrictions. With bypass it’s been even more important to get my Protein and liquids in. Don’t worry about food for a while, that will come in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 20:50, edpsych78 said:



I had a sleeve done just over 5 years ago. I lost a lot of weight very quickly and managed to keep it off. However, I had ongoing issues with gastritis, GERD, and GI motility. At the beginning of 2019 those issues got much worse. I ended up being hospitalized because I couldn’t eat or drink and was in terrible pain. I had a great bariatric surgeon who was persistent in figuring out what was happening. He determined that my sleeve was not functioning, everything I ate stayed in my stomach and esophagus for way too long. After trying several non-surgical interventions we ended up having to convert to a bypass 4 weeks ago.




The conversion to bypass has been a completely different recovery than when I had my sleeve. I never had dumping with the sleeve, and I learned the signs of being full easily. After the bypass, I don’t have any sensation of fullness until I suddenly have terrible stabbing pain under my left collarbone. I also have experienced both the “slimeys” and dumping multiple times. Dumping syndrome is no joke. I’ll immediately start to feel flushed, weak, intense nausea, and within 10 minutes have diarrhea. The only relief is to lie down for a couple of hours until the weakness and nausea pass. I never vomited after my sleeve, but following the bypass my stomach will randomly reject something, even if I’ve eaten it successfully before, and I’ll vomit it all back up.




The positive side of the conversion is that I have no reflux at all anymore. After living with terrible GERD for decades, even after my sleeve, that’s a huge relief. It has been a struggle to try to stop losing weight after this surgery, because I’m way under my target weight. The only advice I’d give to you is expect that this will be an entirely new journey, and some of the things that worked after your sleeve won’t work this time around. Be patient with yourself and follow your diet restrictions. With bypass it’s been even more important to get my Protein and liquids in. Don’t worry about food for a while, that will come in time.


I developed motility issues too. Gastroparesis. Nervous for dumping. Did anything in particular cause it for you? With my issues I’ve developed fun diarrhea the second I eat just about anything so dumping would just add the sweating and nausea. Fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, edpsych78 said:

I had a sleeve done just over 5 years ago. I lost a lot of weight very quickly and managed to keep it off. However, I had ongoing issues with gastritis, GERD, and GI motility. At the beginning of 2019 those issues got much worse. I ended up being hospitalized because I couldn’t eat or drink and was in terrible pain. I had a great bariatric surgeon who was persistent in figuring out what was happening. He determined that my sleeve was not functioning, everything I ate stayed in my stomach and esophagus for way too long. After trying several non-surgical interventions we ended up having to convert to a bypass 4 weeks ago.

The conversion to bypass has been a completely different recovery than when I had my sleeve. I never had dumping with the sleeve, and I learned the signs of being full easily. After the bypass, I don’t have any sensation of fullness until I suddenly have terrible stabbing pain under my left collarbone. I also have experienced both the “slimeys” and dumping multiple times. Dumping syndrome is no joke. I’ll immediately start to feel flushed, weak, intense nausea, and within 10 minutes have diarrhea. The only relief is to lie down for a couple of hours until the weakness and nausea pass. I never vomited after my sleeve, but following the bypass my stomach will randomly reject something, even if I’ve eaten it successfully before, and I’ll vomit it all back up.

The positive side of the conversion is that I have no reflux at all anymore. After living with terrible GERD for decades, even after my sleeve, that’s a huge relief. It has been a struggle to try to stop losing weight after this surgery, because I’m way under my target weight. The only advice I’d give to you is expect that this will be an entirely new journey, and some of the things that worked after your sleeve won’t work this time around. Be patient with yourself and follow your diet restrictions. With bypass it’s been even more important to get my Protein and liquids in. Don’t worry about food for a while, that will come in time.

Not going to lie, this is a big fear. Aside from the reflux I’ve felt good all along. Kind of (really) nervous about tempting fate here by getting another surgery.

That being said, I reacted pretty badly to sugar until I built up a resistance over time (stupid) but it definitely felt like what people explained when they described dumping syndrome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a little nervous as well about having another surgery, but my acid reflux is highly manageable. I dont have any type of dumping syndrome, but my dr. Said that I didn't have any problem with the first surgery so I shouldn't have any problem after the bypass

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello- I haven't posted in many years. I am about to get my bypass scheduled. It's been a long road!

I have my sleeve 5 years ago, and due to not loosing very much weight, I want bypass. I started out at 268, and for the past several years, I've maintained 238. Last may, I went to a surgeon, who I really liked, and I asked to be re-sleeved. He suggested bypass, and I agreed. He did a scope to check how things looked, since my sleeve was done in Mexico (which was a super good experience). All looked great, except he found I had a hiatal hernia, which explained all the heartburn I have had.

Now, when it came to the insurance, that was a whole big battle! I changed surgeons, hoping that the new surgeon would submit new info to insurance, and this would be approved. He did find my sleeve was a little dilated (large), which was a criteria for insurance, even though they did not pay for my 1st surgery. A very long story short, at the very end of Feb 2019, an outside agency found that my surgery IS medically necessary, and the insurance will have to pay. Fortunately, I have already met my out of pocket max,m so I won't have to pay a dime for the surgery (same as last year).

In two days I go back to the surgeon for the group class, and get my surgery date! I have been battling so long, now I have to get back into gear for what is actually going to happen after surgery.

Anyone else have a similar story? Anyone else been defeated, and then the surgery is back on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumping triggers for me have been unpredictable. I’m walking a fine line between low blood sugar that makes me pass out and too much that causes dumping. I can eat pudding one day (not sugar free) and be fine, but have dumping eating exactly the same thing tomorrow. I have noticed that simple sugars in combination with simple carbs or full fat dairy almost always trigger me. But applesauce, fruits, and sugar paired with 1% dairy is different. I also can’t consume sugary things that are more liquid in consistency. For example, a handful of dry Cereal is fine, but even with skim milk on it I’ll dump. I think it’s so individualized that you just have to see what works and learn through experience sometimes.

I will say that I’m so glad not to have reflux any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 1:06 PM, robynsch said:

I am a little nervous as well about having another surgery, but my acid reflux is highly manageable. I dont have any type of dumping syndrome, but my dr. Said that I didn't have any problem with the first surgery so I shouldn't have any problem after the bypass

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Sounds like we have a lot in common. Do you have a surgery date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edpsych78 said:

Dumping triggers for me have been unpredictable. I’m walking a fine line between low blood sugar that makes me pass out and too much that causes dumping. I can eat pudding one day (not sugar free) and be fine, but have dumping eating exactly the same thing tomorrow. I have noticed that simple sugars in combination with simple carbs or full fat dairy almost always trigger me. But applesauce, fruits, and sugar paired with 1% dairy is different. I also can’t consume sugary things that are more liquid in consistency. For example, a handful of dry Cereal is fine, but even with skim milk on it I’ll dump. I think it’s so individualized that you just have to see what works and learn through experience sometimes.

I will say that I’m so glad not to have reflux any more.

That’s interesting and also sounds awful. A lot of trial and error involved in trying to figure out your triggers.

Liquidy sugary things were also my undoing. I could nibble on a muffin or piece of birthday cake and be fine (not a great choice but... life) but if I had a sugary coffee/beverage I would get sick right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello- I haven't posted in many years. I am about to get my bypass scheduled. It's been a long road!
I have my sleeve 5 years ago, and due to not loosing very much weight, I want bypass. I started out at 268, and for the past several years, I've maintained 238. Last may, I went to a surgeon, who I really liked, and I asked to be re-sleeved. He suggested bypass, and I agreed. He did a scope to check how things looked, since my sleeve was done in Mexico (which was a super good experience). All looked great, except he found I had a hiatal hernia, which explained all the heartburn I have had.
Now, when it came to the insurance, that was a whole big battle! I changed surgeons, hoping that the new surgeon would submit new info to insurance, and this would be approved. He did find my sleeve was a little dilated (large), which was a criteria for insurance, even though they did not pay for my 1st surgery. A very long story short, at the very end of Feb 2019, an outside agency found that my surgery IS medically necessary, and the insurance will have to pay. Fortunately, I have already met my out of pocket max,m so I won't have to pay a dime for the surgery (same as last year).
In two days I go back to the surgeon for the group class, and get my surgery date! I have been battling so long, now I have to get back into gear for what is actually going to happen after surgery.
Anyone else have a similar story? Anyone else been defeated, and then the surgery is back on?

Exact same medical issue. Sleeved 4 yes ago. Hiatal hernia present, mild weight gain, surgeon recommended sleeve to bypass conversion on March 19th


Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, edpsych78 said:

Dumping triggers for me have been unpredictable. I’m walking a fine line between low blood sugar that makes me pass out and too much that causes dumping. I can eat pudding one day (not sugar free) and be fine, but have dumping eating exactly the same thing tomorrow. I have noticed that simple sugars in combination with simple carbs or full fat dairy almost always trigger me. But applesauce, fruits, and sugar paired with 1% dairy is different. I also can’t consume sugary things that are more liquid in consistency. For example, a handful of dry Cereal is fine, but even with skim milk on it I’ll dump. I think it’s so individualized that you just have to see what works and learn through experience sometimes.

I will say that I’m so glad not to have reflux any more.

Oh, boy. I hope eating won't be so complicated for ever. That's harder than any diet I've ever heard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking it must be the milk. Have you tried cutting our lactose? I know that I am already lactose intolerant. I was that way before I had the sleeve done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      I broke 150 lbs today!!!!
      150 lbs has been my wall for the past 15 years.  I've dieted down to the low 150s 3 times only to regain what I lost and more. 
      I am now officially 149.7 lbs as of this morning.  Yay me!
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Yay!!!!!

    • Jobber

      Tomorrow is surgery day...  I'm not sure if I'm nervous, anxious, excited or a little bit of all three.  I honestly thought I would be freaking out at this point, but I'm much calmer than that.  I suppose the last 7 months of preparation both physically and mentally has brought me some peace.  I say this now, but when I try to sleep tonight, that may be a different story.  
      I appreciate everything I've read on this forum that has helped me to prepare as much as possible.  I know this part of my journey may not be the same as someone else's, but having a good frame of reference helps a ton. 
      The most exciting and most difficult part of the journey begins tomorrow...
      · 3 replies
      1. GreenTealael

        💜 CONGRATULATIONS 💜

      2. Jobber

        Thanks GT! Can't Wait!!!

      3. Orchids&Dragons

        Hope all goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery!

    • Healthy_life2

      it took me a long time to grow my hair back after all the surgery hair loss. Hairdresser screwed up my Hair, Now It’s way too short and I just want to cry. It will grow back. But damn. I'm in a pitty party.
       
      · 3 replies
      1. GreenTealael

        Oh no! That's the worst...

        I'm so sorry 💜

        download (1).jpeg

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        I'm so sorry. It takes so long to grow it back (hug)

      3. FluffyChix

        Dang! :( So sorry to hear this. Pity party on, Wayne!!! :(

    • Uniballer420

      Just had my first doctor's appointment about the surgery. I  qualify and am just starting 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • WeGettingThere

      Hey ya'll. SO. I got down to 199 for the weigh in but gained it all back right after. I have to do another month of weight management. They switched out the nutritionists at the last second and she said she doesn't pass anyone unless they have 5 veggies a week. I'm starting metformin and Farxiga today. Doc found a little bit of blood in my urine but wasn't too concerned. I'm trying not to freak myself out either. Depression is a little more intense than usual. I'm all over the damn place. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×