Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nutritionist FINALLY agreed to see me.

My surgeon's office has two nutritionists. Except mine has been out on maternity leave since my surgery so I have not seen a nutritionist at all since then. They decided that the priority was on pre-op patients. The program was I would see one 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 months out to make sure I know WTF I am doing, but they cancelled ALL post-op patient appointments so this one girl can get through all the pre-ops. Well I haven't lost weight in 4 weeks now and after plenty of badgering I FINALLY scored an appointment for next Wednesday. JEEBUS. I get the point that they want to get new patients through, but it is equally as important to ensure your post-ops aren't effing up!

She's responded to my messages, but has never been able to actually look at what I am eating over any length of time or see any food logs or really go into depth (since it's all via messaging). I am friggin' thankful I finally get to see a dietitian. I mean I've been following the book as best I've been able to given complications, etc, but I really, really need that one-on-one guidance and support. I'm basically just winging it, it feels like. I am really disappointed in my office for not bringing someone else on temporarily or giving referrals or SOMETHING. I'm going to bring all this up next week. Not trying to keep taking advice from internet randos - would really like to see an RD! I know my other post says I lost 5lbs in January, but that is all back. What the heck.

Edited by mousecat88

That is awful that you haven’t been able to see one since your surgery

Interesting. I only saw one for pre op myself. Have not seen one since.

My insurance has me paying 295 a visit to see one out of pocket so yeah

I've spoken with my nutritionist once since post-op 8 weeks ago when I was experiencing a stall and she helped me through it. I plan to see her in person at 3 months post-op and show her my food logs and talk about successful habits. She helped me by phone to plan for an upcoming cruise and how to eat during vacation.

I only see my nutritionist cuz she facilitates our support meetings each month. It's not one-on-one stuff. I got all my nutrition classes pre-op + the book bible. The other stuff I learned here. You're at 4 weeks. You had the typical 3 week stall most likely. Also you had complications and probably medications that have thrown you behind the curve a little. You've lost almost half your weight. Congrats! Seems like you are doing pretty good!

Why not list some of what you are eating and your daily calories/macros? We can probably give you a pretty good idea. Also, list what stage you're eating at now per your doc.

Irritating and super frustrating. Good for you on holding the office to the after care plan. I felt like once the moneymaking was done - the surgery there was very little follow up despite the promises. Also I now wonder about my clinic statistics as I had 3 visits post op in 2015. Just where did they get six months 12 months three years data? Medicine in the USA remains for profit.

17 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

My surgeon's office has two nutritionists. Except mine has been out on maternity leave since my surgery so I have not seen a nutritionist at all since then. They decided that the priority was on pre-op patients. The program was I would see one 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 months out to make sure I know WTF I am doing, but they cancelled ALL post-op patient appointments so this one girl can get through all the pre-ops. Well I haven't lost weight in 4 weeks now and after plenty of badgering I FINALLY scored an appointment for next Wednesday. JEEBUS. I get the point that they want to get new patients through, but it is equally as important to ensure your post-ops aren't effing up!

She's responded to my messages, but has never been able to actually look at what I am eating over any length of time or see any food logs or really go into depth (since it's all via messaging). I am friggin' thankful I finally get to see a dietitian. I mean I've been following the book as best I've been able to given complications, etc, but I really, really need that one-on-one guidance and support. I'm basically just winging it, it feels like. I am really disappointed in my office for not bringing someone else on temporarily or giving referrals or SOMETHING. I'm going to bring all this up next week. Not trying to keep taking advice from internet randos - would really like to see an RD! I know my other post says I lost 5lbs in January, but that is all back. What the heck.

I had my surgery through a university hospital team that does an incredible amount of these surgeries a month. Pre-op patients are placed into groups of about 10-15 for monthly classes, during my 6 months pre medically supervised nutritional counseling, we individually saw the physician then we went to lecture like classes with homework to boot.

Now that I am post op my post op appointment consists of seeing my physician for the medical visit, then sitting through a nutrition group with the nutritionist and about 6-10 post-op patients (who are within the same few days of surgery) discussing diet. It is very interactive and all questions are discussed. I happen to like this group setting, feels very supportive with people going through the same thing that I am. However no one ever looks at my food logs or gets into depth of my day to day eating habits. The only one who questions me about that is the physician himself and it's basically him asking me how much liquids and Protein I'm taking in.

i guess it differs from offices, the way they approach after care. Hope this helps, just adding to the discussion to help show, post op nutrition counseling can vary a lot.

Your office however should be ashamed of the way they have cast you aside like that. Hope it gets better for you.

I only see my nutritionist cuz she facilitates our support meetings each month. It's not one-on-one stuff. I got all my nutrition classes pre-op + the book bible. The other stuff I learned here. You're at 4 weeks. You had the typical 3 week stall most likely. Also you had complications and probably medications that have thrown you behind the curve a little. You've lost almost half your weight. Congrats! Seems like you are doing pretty good!
Why not list some of what you are eating and your daily calories/macros? We can probably give you a pretty good idea. Also, list what stage you're eating at now per your doc.
I'm at almost 4 months, not 4 weeks. I have stalled for the last for 4 weeks. lol.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I really just wanna talk to a dieitian. I've taken some random advice from people on FB and here and I ended up gaining some weight. I printed out the last 2 full months of daily food logs and emailed them to the dieitian for my appt. on Wednesday. I hope she can help.

Irritating and super frustrating. Good for you on holding the office to the after care plan. I felt like once the moneymaking was done - the surgery there was very little follow up despite the promises. Also I now wonder about my clinic statistics as I had 3 visits post op in 2015. Just where did they get six months 12 months three years data? Medicine in the USA remains for profit.
My mom said the same thing... they got my money and now they don't care about the follow up. They should have brought someone else on board to handle post-op patients. I feel like it is irresponsible of them to perform this type of surgery and then drop off all support.

I have to see nutritionist 1x a month for the first year after surgery. I plan on seeing them every month for the rest of my life this way I stay on track. My insurance didnt cover my surgery so I dont want to waste my money not being successful!!

Why not post a couple days of what you're eating since you have the logs?

That’s crazy. As a post op they should be seeing you at every visit. I don’t care how many pre ops they have . You need the extra support from your team.

My entire weight loss team is amazing I can even email on the weekend and get an answer with in 12 hours. Durning the week I can call or email and I get to speak to my NUT or she emails me back with in 3 hours.

This sounds insane. I can pm my nutritionist on Facebook. We have access to all our surgeons via Facebook too. And we have weekly and monthly support groups as well as being able to get an individual appointment

Sent from my moto e5 play using BariatricPal mobile app