Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have to share a room in the hospital?

I'm kinda freaking out because they told me I would be sharing a room in the hospital. I am deathly afraid of vomit, like it's my BIGGEST phobia!! I'm scared I'll get put in a room with another bariatric patient who may be puking in the bed next to me. If you had to share a room how was it? Was your room mate also in for gastric surgery?

I didn't have to share a room, but I know that on my floor that there were patients who had different types of surgeries, not just bariatric. After surgery they were assigning rooms out by who was ready to leave recovery, so if anyone on my floor was sharing, I don't think they were sharing based on their surgery.

1 hour ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I'm kinda freaking out because they told me I would be sharing a room in the hospital. I am deathly afraid of vomit, like it's my BIGGEST phobia!! I'm scared I'll get put in a room with another bariatric patient who may be puking in the bed next to me. If you had to share a room how was it? Was your room mate also in for gastric surgery?

Ask if it's possible to have a single room. If they say no, I see three choices

(1) Find a different hospital/surgeon that can give you a single room.

(2) Share a room and not let a fear/phobia get in the way of your surgery.

(3) cancel your surgery

I didn't have to share a room. But I was in a "bariatric" wing, so if I had to it would be someone with a vomit risk attached. Ask. It really depends on the hospital size and if they have a dedicated section.

I did have to share a room and it turned out to be a Godsend. We advocated for each other when the other was unable. She was a hernia/gallbladder repair and emergency repair again. I was a VSG with terrible opioid tolerance.

#silverliningsplaybooks

My roommate was my aunt. She had surgery 3 hours before me. We did swell, except she saw my bum a lot and had to listen to be whine and moan while she sat there acting like it was no big deal.

I did not have a roommate (unless you count my husband, who stayed in the recliner beside the bed the whole time I was in there). In fact, in the hospital I was at, it seemed like all the rooms on my floor were single occupant.

I do agree with Healthy_life though. You should call ahead to see what the room situation could be, and you can see if you can get a private room.

The surgeon I saw uses a hospital that has private rooms in the bariatric wing, so nope, I didn't have to share. I did hear other patients vomit though while I was there, its not a guarantee that you wont at least hear it because you'll be walking those halls, at least you should be! ;)

If the person next to you is a bariatric surgery and vomits, they aren’t likely to be vomiting anything with an odor after weeks of a pre op diet and then being nothing by mouth before surgery.

I wouldn’t worry so much.

I'd call and ask. Even if your roommate isn't a bariatric patient, vomiting happens. I was VERY sick after my 2nd hip surgery because I do not tolerate anesthesia very well. That will be true no matter what surgery I have - and could be true of your roommate.

I had a roommate, as I did while on bedrest while pregnant, following childbirth x2 and following gallbladder surgery. I think its odd that i had a private room prior to surgery, but the 'standard' remains so called semiprivate rooms while admitted to the hospital.

My roommate was not a bariatric patient and had completely different care staff. I left the hospital as soon as I was allowed as there is absolutely nothing restful about the near constant stream of medical personnel in a 'semiprivate room.

I had my own private room. All the rooms at the local hospital are private rooms now. I was in a "bariatric wing" where most of the patients had just had weight-loss surgery.

I had my own room and after looking at the breakdown for my total bill I could see why. Just the bill for the hospital was $80,129.15. My total bill for the surgery was $92,437.19 so most of it went to the hospital.

Fortunately our hospital is ALL private rooms which is awesome. I was on a regular wing so all kinds of patients plus my doctor only does about two Bariatric surgery’s per week.

I also had a private room. I would ask if you could pay extra for one. I didn't vomit at all... there's nothing in you to vomit after surgery. But I don't think I could handle someone bitching or snoring or watching TV when I want silence, etc. I don't like roommates in life, much less in hospital. lol.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app