Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

2 hours ago, froufrou said:

It should. Hang in there!

I don't know--you might like a cheeky short summer hairstyle. I have a short bob and love it, although I could never grow my hair longer than shoulder length. If you have hair that grows fairly quickly, maybe you should go for it! I am definitely experiencing hair loss--it seems gobs come out in the shower. Although I have no regrets, I wonder how much more hair I'm going to lose. 😕

8 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Yeah trigger foods are interesting. I’ve decided that I will just flat not ever try bread or Pasta because I’m not sure how I’ll ever be able to handle them.

Well if you gain weight you can sit in the corner with me.
After a nice week last week, I’m up 1.6 pounds since Wednesday., which means I’m down 0.8 pounds over 2 weeks.
You’d think by now I wouldn’t let that mess with my emotions, but I’m completely wrecked by it.
I had a GREAT weekend as far as avoiding bad foods or triggers and I don’t have cycles anymore so it’s not even like I can blame “that time of the month”

So I’ll maybe measure tomorrow and see if there’s any positive to be had, but today I’m going yo struggle because with this broken toe I can’t even do something good like go for a walk because walking pretty much hurts like hell right now.

I too loved my steak experience and will pursue it more often now. 🙂 Sorry to hear about your PCOS. I have a colleague with PCOS and it causes weight gain for her too. She is very frustrated because she eats so healthy and can't lose.

I forgot to mention that during my short vacation back to my home town I also went to the Melting Pot to Celebrate my Mother-in-laws' 80th birthday. If you haven't heard about this place, it's a fondue restaurant--lots of courses. My husband and I split a plate of meats, I had a few bites of his salad. The killer (and my favorites) are the cheese and chocolate fondue courses. I had two pieces of pretzel bread dipped in cheese and for dessert one brownie bite and one strawberry dipped in dark chocolate. I was happy I could enjoy the meal with the family. I don't do a lot of breads and zero Pasta, but because the meal is over three hours, I was able to eat a few of my favorites. This was a wonderful feeling...to be able to eat small amounts of foods I enjoyed. I finally feel as if I'm getting the hang of this lifestyle!

3 hours ago, froufrou said:

I have to say how happy I am to be able to fit into 'normal' sizes in some shops now. I feel more like myself and I am wearing dresses for the first time in years! I have NO regrets with this surgery. Despite all of the issues, I am very happy with the continuing results.

No regrets here either--and was having some major buyer's remorse in the first month, as you may remember. I'm starting to feel quite comfortable with what I can eat, and I'm branching out a bit so it doesn't seem so boring. I've recently added fruit--mostly berries--which has helped a lot!

We moved out of our house a week ago in preparation for our move to Australia, which means I haven't weighed myself in a week--and that might be a good thing. I could of course find a scale somewhere, but it would likely not be calibrated the same as the scale at home and might not give an accurate result. So I'll wait!

And nobody has told us yet what an NSV is!

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

No regrets here either--and was having some major buyer's remorse in the first month, as you may remember. I'm starting to feel quite comfortable with what I can eat, and I'm branching out a bit so it doesn't seem so boring. I've recently added fruit--mostly berries--which has helped a lot!

We moved out of our house a week ago in preparation for our move to Australia, which means I haven't weighed myself in a week--and that might be a good thing. I could of course find a scale somewhere, but it would likely not be calibrated the same as the scale at home and might not give an accurate result. So I'll wait!

And nobody has told us yet what an NSV is!

I think, and I could be wrong, that NSV stands for non-surgical victory.

I think, and I could be wrong, that NSV stands for non-surgical victory.
NSV is non-scale victory. Like maybe your numbers haven't dropped this week, but your clothes feel better, you can sit comfortably in a seat that you couldn't before, someone compliments you,etc...

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep! NSV = non-scale victory 🙂 Because sometimes it's more important to keep track of things that feel better than just a number on a scale! Especially when mental health things come in to play -- can't measure those improvements on a scale.< br />
Super important for me right now, because I once again haven't lost anything since 28 June which is, what? About a week and a half? I know from weight tracking in fitbit that I have little 'stalls' or slow downs like, around twice a month. This has been the longest, and I keep going up and down about 2-3 pounds. But I'm not too worried, because soon enough I'll probably lose again and I'll be like 'oh, fudgesticks! I don't wanna be just skin and bones!' Lol.

This surgery totally stuffs with your brain, I swear.

All the best for your upcoming move, Recidivist! I hope you have a pleasant, as-least-stressful-as-possible journey! 🙂

On 07/08/2019 at 20:06, Gottajustdoit said:

I too loved my steak experience and will pursue it more often now. 🙂 Sorry to hear about your PCOS. I have a colleague with PCOS and it causes weight gain for her too. She is very frustrated because she eats so healthy and can't lose.

I forgot to mention that during my short vacation back to my home town I also went to the Melting Pot to Celebrate my Mother-in-laws' 80th birthday. If you haven't heard about this place, it's a fondue restaurant--lots of courses. My husband and I split a plate of meats, I had a few bites of his salad. The killer (and my favorites) are the cheese and chocolate fondue courses. I had two pieces of pretzel bread dipped in cheese and for dessert one brownie bite and one strawberry dipped in dark chocolate. I was happy I could enjoy the meal with the family. I don't do a lot of breads and zero Pasta, but because the meal is over three hours, I was able to eat a few of my favorites. This was a wonderful feeling...to be able to eat small amounts of foods I enjoyed. I finally feel as if I'm getting the hang of this lifestyle!

My best friend turned 40 recently. We celebrated with a trip to Fogo de Chau, a Brazilian steak house where they bring out all the meats on skewers and slice them onto your plate. I love this place! I had to be very selective on what I ate. My favorite thing there is the Parmesan crusted pork medallions. To die for!! The place is $50 a person but if you bring proof of bariatric surgery it’s half off. Still ate no where near $25 worth of food but I didn’t care one bit. It was amazing! Nice to still be able to enjoy things like this. I just don’t leave feeling miserably overstuffed anymore.

2 hours ago, ldawn said:

My best friend turned 40 recently. We celebrated with a trip to Fogo de Chau, a Brazilian steak house where they bring out all the meats on skewers and slice them onto your plate. I love this place! I had to be very selective on what I ate. My favorite thing there is the Parmesan crusted pork medallions. To die for!! The place is $50 a person but if you bring proof of bariatric surgery it’s half off. Still ate no where near $25 worth of food but I didn’t care one bit. It was amazing! Nice to still be able to enjoy things like this. I just don’t leave feeling miserably overstuffed anymore.

fascinating! You can actually bring proof and they will give you half off? I wonder what other restaurants do this? I actually have a card in my wallet that my doctor gave me. Never knew what I needed it for. Well I guess I can take it to this restaurant and use it !

Yes and sorry, when I posted in NSV should’ve explained that. If you search NSV on this website you will find there is a forum of non-scale victories. I love reading those.

Found this- I always order children’s portions anyway. So far no one has pushed back. Now I know why I have my card!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/10/09/162563213/doctor-approved-discounts-for-gastric-bypass-patients-at-the-buffet

I googled this because no one ever made me aware of what this card was for. You should read this forum on this cruise ship website. People get totally up in arms about the thing. I actually stopped reading it because it started irritating me. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2522100-restaurant-discounts-for-bariatric-surgery-patients/

I've been denied twice when I asked for something off of the children's menu, even with the explanation. If that's the case, I tell them I'm not eating and just let my husband eat. Crazy that some restaurants would rather go without any money than get some for a smaller portion.

2 hours ago, froufrou said:

I've been denied twice when I asked for something off of the children's menu, even with the explanation. If that's the case, I tell them I'm not eating and just let my husband eat. Crazy that some restaurants would rather go without any money than get some for a smaller portion.

I rarely even order anymore. In fact I don’t go out to eat very often either. It took my husband a few months of going through the same exercise to realize this. I asked him to just let me split a plate with him he never wanted to. I think after seeing me waste meal after meal he’s finally coming around. I think we’re going to try to go out to eat this week and I will see if I have any success talking him into sharing with me!

Frou frou - Agree I think that is so silly. Better they sell a small second entrée than nothing at all.

It is so funny – – every time I lose weight (enough to make a visible difference or hit a benchmark number on the scale) I kind of go into shock about my “new body”. Then, about two weeks later, I adjust and decide that I want to lose more weight. I am at that point now. Finally pulled the trigger and bought some smaller clothes. Some of them are actually too small and it’s making me feel OK about continuing to lose. I am closing in every week on my goal weight. At one point I decided I didn’t even want to hit my goal because it almost seemed too thin. Everything is relative, isn’t it?!

Also, my stomach (skin) looks pretty gross. In my clothes it is pretty flat now but the texture of it is well - horrifying. I guess my only resolution will be plastic surgery....

Size 6 shorts and a small T-shirt. Both new! I am proud of my new body and rocking it! I am 14 pounds away from my original goal weight of 100 pounds. Let’s gooooo!

360EA5EC-E325-4E36-8343-06BCE86E52F3.jpeg

5769E859-C43C-483D-BAA3-C74202138764.jpeg

7 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

It is so funny – – every time I lose weight (enough to make a visible difference or hit a benchmark number on the scale) I kind of go into shock about my “new body”. Then, about two weeks later, I adjust and decide that I want to lose more weight. I am at that point now. Finally pulled the trigger and bought some smaller clothes. Some of them are actually too small and it’s making me feel OK about continuing to lose. I am closing in every week on my goal weight. At one point I decided I didn’t even want to hit my goal because it almost seemed too thin. Everything is relative, isn’t it?!

Also, my stomach (skin) looks pretty gross. In my clothes it is pretty flat now but the texture of it is well - horrifying. I guess my only resolution will be plastic surgery....

Size 6 shorts and a small T-shirt. Both new! I am proud of my new body and rocking it! I am 14 pounds away from my original goal weight of 100 pounds. Let’s gooooo!

360EA5EC-E325-4E36-8343-06BCE86E52F3.jpeg

5769E859-C43C-483D-BAA3-C74202138764.jpeg

Looking great! I'm 5'6" and have a long ways to go to get to my goal weight, but I did buy quite a few summer items and it DID feel good to have the right-sized clothing on, especially at work.