Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People with no more than 100 pounds to lose

I am wondering about the experiences of people who had 100 pounds or less to lose. I know that the heavier you are the more you lose rapidly. If you started at 100 pounds overweight what is the average weight loss per month? I wonder if it’s harder to lose or if it’s easier because I have less to lose. I really want to hit my goal within the year. Experiences anyone?

UHi there - good questions!

I started with a goal of dropping from 235lbs to about 175lbs - I previously had a working gastric band and had happily maintained 175lbs so it seemed like a good goal.

That took exactly 4 months - so I lost 60lbs in 4 months. So I reset my goal to 156lbs - the BMI ‘Not Obese’ weight. That seemed like a fond dream, but one I wouldn’t make. I hit that goal about 2 months later. So, 80lbs in 6 months.

I have left that as my goal, but around this same time I decided to take up running - not huge distances, I did the Couch2 5k (3 miles) challenge. I also got gallstones, had my gallbladder out. Anyway I have since lost another 20lbs, which took 3 months. So - 9 months to lose 100lbs

I have now been stable at 134-136 for a bit over 3 months. It does take discipline to

a) be happy to stop losing (after 9 months of the addictive high losing nearly every day gives you!) and

b) to get my Protein in every day, and

c) to avoid rubbishy ‘old me’ sweets, chips. I have a very small treat most days but cravings for carbs start up really easily and it takes another week or two of being out of sorts and irritable to wrestle them away again.

My surgeon’s ONLY rule for eating post surgery - three meals a day, no Snacks.

More info than you asked for but I hope it helps!

Edited by Biddy zz 🏳️🌈

I am in the same boat with 90 pound weight loss goal to be “BMI” healthy! I’ve heard that it is harder to lose but we got this!!

Best of luck... I have read so many posts from ladies whose weight is around 250....and their desire to be
150-170.
Many have done exactly that. ( myself included)
I think that sweet spot may not be exact, but it is much easier to navigate this world from a smaller size.
It seems to be relative to where you start.
400 starting weight may be happy with 250... all about comfort and control for me.
So thankful

I will have bypass in February 2019 and have about 90 pounds to lose to be at my goal weight. I don't think it's harder for people like us to lose weight--I think that it might just be a bit slower and we won't have spectacular losses in any given month. In the end, we'll all get where we need to be and we'll all be healthier.

I just had a revision from sleeve to rny on 12/12 due to horrible reflux and barrets esophagus. I started at 180 and have lost 20 pounds.

I had a horrible experience in the hospital and ended up having internal bleeding, needed blood transfusion... my oxygen level drop down to mid 50’s a few times. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I’m still quite swollen and bruised so I think I will lose a few more once I’m completely healed.

I don’t know how much I lost per month (after mini gastric bypass) but I lost 100 lbs in less than a year.

The key is to eat the right food, small portion sizes, don’t drink your calories, and consume MORE than 64 oz of Water a day.

I also abstain from artificial sweeteners as they have no nutritional value and I think they impair weight loss as they cause you to crave sugar.

On 1/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, Julie norton said:

Best of luck... I have read so many posts from ladies whose weight is around 250....and their desire to be
150-170.
Many have done exactly that. ( myself included)
I think that sweet spot may not be exact, but it is much easier to navigate this world from a smaller size.
It seems to be relative to where you start.
400 starting weight may be happy with 250... all about comfort and control for me.
So thankful

I cant imagine anyone wanting to be my size! But yes it's all relative. I dont have a goal weight that I'm really set on I just want to feel lighter and healthier. I feel like Im lugging a heavy backpack around and I'd love to be able to move more freely. That being said I would also like to look better and wear off the rack clothing (not have to do plus sizes) I guess we'll see

On 1/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, Tamzab said:

I just had a revision from sleeve to rny on 12/12 due to horrible reflux and barrets esophagus. I started at 180 and have lost 20 pounds.

I had a horrible experience in the hospital and ended up having internal bleeding, needed blood transfusion... my oxygen level drop down to mid 50’s a few times. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I’m still quite swollen and bruised so I think I will lose a few more once I’m completely healed.

Hi Tamzab. i too had a horrible experience with the surgery. I was in for 4 days, blood clot in my lung, lots of pain, and an infection. it was terrible. those first few months were terrible and i honestly began to regret the surgery. I remember not being able to keep in a drink of Water, and thinking, "will i never be able to take a big drink of water again?" but time heals all things..... it did get easier, and now, after losing nearly 100 pounds I can say i'm healthier than i've ever been and my energy level made it all worth while. hang in there. it does't get better. just needs some time.

I just made 1 yr post op Mid December and I've lost 90 lbs. Most within the first 6-7 months and and 2-3 lbs a month since then. I seem to be maintaining at 165 which is well below my personal goal of 180 (hit at 6 months).

Starting weight was about 255, 5'6"

I have about 100 to lose for a healthy BMI. I'm going for my first appointment tomorrow and am beyond anxious to get this going. Following this post to see what others have experienced!

I met with my doctor yesterday. He said that I have just as good of a chance as anyone else of losing all my excess weight. In other words I don’t think that we are at a disadvantage with having less to lose. It seems that the number one factor is to follow the plan. I’m hoping I’ll be able to do that!

I lost over 100 pounds within 8 months and I'm now 4 pounds away from reaching my all time goal. I just stayed active at the gym and watched my carbs. The weight came off pretty fast, but now I have to try to keep it off :48_weary:

My surgery weight was 202 and I'm 5'4". So I'm looking to lose 60-70 pounds. I've lost 55 pounds so far and am 5 and a half months post op. Its been 10 pounds a month pretty consistently.

Me too, needing 85 or 90 pounds to lose total and now just 75 at six weeks post-op. Everything I've read says that the number of pounds lost may vary depending on how heavy you were to start with but that the percentage remains the same.

33% loss of excess weight at 3 months.

50% loss of excess weight at 6 months.

70% loss of excess weight at 12 months.

So while the total # of pounds will vary from person to person, the % will be similar.