Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you tell your weight lost

No one asks. They just comment, "Oh my gosh! You look so great! You've lost so much weight."

I just smile and agree with them. ;)

I'm not the poster child for WLS awareness. My response to something like that would have to be, "Noneya..." as in "none ya bidness".

If anybody probes me about how much weight I’ve lost or what I did to lose it I plan on being passive aggressive and just giving them some type of vague response like “oh you know it’s a process, we’ll see” and then just change the subject. I am not willing to discuss my weight with anybody. If they don’t get the hint then I will just have to say “ I don’t really want to discuss my weight” period!

I used to say how much. Now I just say quite a bit. It sounds weird saying 70+ lbs cause then you know they're going to try to do the math lol

If I tell them the truth, I can see it in their 👀 eyes, OMG , JUST HOW BIG WERE YOU? When you start in the mid 300s, even though you are in the mid-200s now, you still are larger than the "average" person your age. Most 73 years are thin or dead, I'm just an exception, aren't I? Last person I smiled as sweetly as possible Thank you for noticing and asking ( although it is none of your business) now,if you will excuse me, I would like to finish my shopping. You may have started this conversation but I am terminating it. Bye Bye!👋

it's a personal choice for all of us. A lot depends on how close or accepting you are with your friends and family. I chose not to tell anyone about my surgery except a few super close non judgmental friends and my mom. I wished I hadn't told my mom but I needed a ride to the hospital!

I recognize that when an old friend who hasn't seen me in a year or better sees me it's kinda a shock and curiosity gets the best of them. after all, it's hard not to wonder how someone you know was nearly 300 pounds is suddenly standing before them at 160!!! So when i'm asked, i have a standard answer, that is probably not entirely true. I say that i've dropped about 50 pounds and i came off of a heart med that was causing me to retain Water. LOL yes, it's a lie, but it gets bought the quickest and without follow up questions.

I'm only telling my husband. When others ask if I've lost weight I'm just going to shrug it off and say, "I dunno, I don't weigh" and then they hopefully won't ask how much or pursue it any further. I am happy and confident with my decision to have had the WLS but it's not anybody else's business and I don't want them sizing me up every time they see me.

Friends and family are privy to that information but strangers? That's not really any of their business in my opinion, unless they are health officials who are helping me in some manner. The person that you encountered in the store seems very rude to have gotten angry with you for not answering the question, no matter her 'good' intentions.

The way I see it though, there is no sense in hiding myself or my weight with friends or family; they see me often and know how I look so it's really not a big deal that they know.

Ultimately though, it's up to you what is comfortable to be shared and with who!

Sent from my H60-L04 using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations on the journey!!! It is totally your decision on whether or not to share.

FYI... depending on how much weight, it may become very obvious to some. For example, every time I fly TSA asks me how much weight I have lost due to my skin density setting off the alarm.

I have also been asked by people at the gym, who are trying to lose weight as well.

I don’t walk around with my number on my forehead, but in seemingly meaningful conversations I share.

Congratulations on the journey!!!

I personally do not mind telling people my weight loss, simply because the positive reactions help motivate me. The way she reacted, though, was quite uncalled for. It sounds like you did not say it in any way which would have came off as upset or rude. Just because someone is offering praise des not mean they are entitled to every little detail they desire. Good for you for standing your ground - only tell those you want to!

I’m kinda in the same boat I don’t know if I want to tell anyone or not. My wife knows and a few close coworkers but I haven’t even told my parents yet lol...decisions decisions

5 hours ago, Big Bari said:

I’m kinda in the same boat I don’t know if I want to tell anyone or not. My wife knows and a few close coworkers but I haven’t even told my parents yet lol...decisions decisions

It is nobodies business, even though people will (hopefully) notice soon! Good luck either way.

When people ask a nosy question just say to them "Why do you ask?"
What are they going to say ? "I'm super freaking nosy!"

I had my last nutrition seminar yesterday & I’ll share something she shared with us that may help. YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY IS YOUR OWN & HOWEVER YOU WANT TO RIDE IT IS TOTALLY UP TO YOU! So u may have ppl that ask u questions but u answer however u want to. I feel like as long as u’re not being rude, do what u need to do to get thru.