Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Upstate NY

Barbie & Gilta - I wanted to let you know I met with my PCP Wednesday and she said was 100% for Lap Band. She actually has not had any patients that had this procedure done. I have an appointment for the informational seminar at RGH on August 14 - I called this morning. I am going to go in once a month to have the nurse at my PCP's office weight me and take my blood pressure so we can start keeping track of personal progress. I had lost about 7 pounds from April. This at least starts the process in the right direction. Have spent so much time reviewing information from dozens of web sites, watching the procedure, etc. I am feeling like Lap Band is really for me at this point. Who knows, I may find something out different at the informational seminar. I will keep an open mind to all of this. OH - I also did tell my physician I wanted to go to Dr. DiBenedetto if we do proceed.

Thanks again for all of your help that got to me to this next step.

Hope both of you are doing well! KelCan

you'll love the seminar AND Dr.D!!! Definately let us know what you think...if you have Preferred Care then look into some type of nutritional program in your area...you'll need it! If you don't have Preferred Care then I don't think you have to worry about it....

I personally have got to get my butt in gear....i got lazy and gained back the 8 i had lost...well i've been going up and down the same 4 pounds for about 3 weeks and i'm back up as of today....well i am cutting out bread, Pasta, and potatoes and getting really strict. Not only to lose the weight but i just feel better when I'm not eating those things....

Barbie - I have The Empire Plan for insurance. The only thing my PCP said was she feels they would accept me because of: A - My BMI which meets criteria and B - My very, very strong family history of morbid obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc. etc.. I also have a 6-year history of continued participation in Weight Watchers where in the first 3 years I lost 78 pounds and never missed a meeting. Of course, they may not look at that in particular just because of the time guidelines. I do not have any of the secondary comorbid conditions, but any insurance company should look at my profile and realize I am a ticking timebomb if I do not make some changes. Hey, I'll be saving them a lot of money later on! If I am required to be in a program and I have a choice I'll go back to Weight Watchers. I love that program. This time I'd do Core as it is closer to what my choices should be after surgery (should I have it). If I am going to do this, I might as well start the lifestyle fairly soon and get used to it. Everytime I eat a piece of white bread I think about how if I make this choice I have to be okay with not having it, or probably not having it post Lap-Band (based on what I read). Then I get thinking...so, I can live without that. If I can just get these "mental" thoughts straightened out in my head....

I hope Dr. DiBenedetto speaks on 8/14!!!!

KelCan

Hi Kel/Barbie,

I think it is just the 3 of us now!

I am just 18 days away and getting a bit nervous. I am not nervous about the surgery, but about being able to lose the weight. I have started to gain a few pounds (3) and am just worried after the surgery I will continue to gain. I know I probably won't, but that is my major concern.

I go this Friday for my pre-surgery work up.

Kel - I have heard very nice things about Dr. D from this group. I feel like the odd ball out here since I went to Highland. Oh well. Hopefully you all will still let me stay.

Barbie - you will lose those 8 lbs quickly when you do your pre-surgery liquid phase. My MD said that I don't need to do it, but i will about 2 days prior just in case.

Is there anyone else still on? How are the people who have had the band doing? How much have you lost so far? Any words of wisdom?

Chat with you later!

Gilta - Think of it as you are not the odd ball, but you give a different perspective. In this area I live in many patients get transferred to Highland for various reasons and I usually hear good things. Plus, you are only in there a day. It is the office pre- and post-followup that will be what makes this a good experience, in my inexperienced opinion.

You will lose the weight but I think no matter what, you have to believe you will first. I read recently that we have to think our way to it. Believe it and it will come to you. Whatever you think is what you will get, negative or positive. We have to remember this is just a tool, like WW, like any diet, like a pill - it will work if we work with it and we still have to make all of the other changes to be successful. What we do right now is going to have to change in order to win this battle for life and we will have to fight every day no matter how much weight we lose. We will always be a recovering obese person, even when we reach our goals. However, we need to look in the mirror and see what it is that we wish to accomplish and keep that mental imagine in our mind to be successful. No matter what, it will not be easy! Nothing worth having ever is.

YOU CAN DO IT! You will have GREAT results!!!! PLUS, no pressure here, but you know I am going to coat-tail you through this now!!! I have to see how you are doing before I make any decisions!!!! :smile2:

Have a good week!

KelCan

Hi All,

I go tomorrow am for my pre-surgery work up. I was told that I would be in the hospital overnight. It is what my MD prefers. I guess that is ok, but I would prefer to go home. I heard that I need an upper GI prior to being discharged to make sure there is no blockage.

I cannot believe that it is only 14 days away. I plan on starting the liquid phase a few days prior to surgery. I am breaking it down by days so it goes a bit faster.

July 18 - presurgery work up

July 20 - stop all advil and any other types of blood thinners

July 30 - start liquids only

July 31 - no more food or liquids after midnight

Aug 1 - surgery!

Gilta

Pre-testing was very easy. The hardest part was waiting to get called! I had bloodwork, an EKG, a mini physical (BP, HR, Listen to lungs) and my instructions for surgery.

Very painless!

I was weighted and I am up 5 lbs according to their scale and am sitting at 225 which I was hoping I would not see that number again. Oh well, it will be off within the month!

Gilta

Hi to everyone. I found this website yesterday and have been reading all of your posts non stop. I just wanted Gilta to know that my Lapband surgery is scheduled for the 29th of July with Dr. Johnson at Highland Hospital. I was at Highland the same day you were for my presurgical testing. I am nervous, I am excited, and I am READY. Its been a long haul, I originally went for my first meeting last October, then had to loose the weight for ins. purposes, it took me a while but I finally got through nutrition in April. Its a long process, but worth the wait I HOPE! I would love to keep in touch with you on a more personal basis. It would be nice to have someone going through what I am going through along for the ride. Please email me at clkst5@aol.com if you would like to chat one on one. I just want you all to know that this website has been extremely helpful and has made me relax a little bit about the whole process. Thanks to all. Carol

I'm teri. I'm relatively new to this site. I'm pre op as well. My signature pretty well tells the store.

I'm also in the upper ny area. I'm near cooperstown NY. I'm having Dr Heneghan. I'm almost thru all the pre op testing, which has given me a few surprises.

i have barretts esophagus. I'm a single mom with 3 special needs boys. One has cerebral palsy, the other two have hemophilia. I do not. I'm at the point where I'm just ready for the surgery itself to be over, so I can start using my tool.

Teri

it looks like they do a whole bunch more tests down in Cooperstown than they do up here in Rochester. What is Barretts Esophagus? how did they find you had it? Sounds like you have your plate full with your boys, it must be tough being a single mom and all , I give you a lot of credit. Hang in there, I too am looking forward to using my new tool also. Carol

Hi, I am looking for a good Dr in Westchester, NY. Can anyone help me out? Really appreciate any names at all. My Dr in the City will no longer be accepting my insurance and I want to stay local.

Barretts is found by doing an endoscopy. I have a long history of GERD. So that's why I had to have that study, also I snore horribly. So I have to do the sleep study. But it's a laid back sleep study, as I get to do it at home. YIPPEE! Basically put it's where the acid comes back up your esophagus, and eats away the lining, and sets you up for cancer. So it's considered a precancerous condition. It's pretty scary knowing I have 2- 2 yr olds that need me for a long time to come. (that's them in the avatar photo), and an 11 yr old. It's treated with PPI's (pevacid etc).

Thanks for the welcome.

Teri

Ok... my blonde-ness is showing thru... where is westchester?

teri