Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Upstate NY

hi to all!

i'm just starting the decision making process....at 38,i have yo-yo dieted my self up to 250lbs @ 5'1! i dont have the co-mordities YET, that go along w/obesity, but i feel/know i am commiting a long drawn out suicide, being sooo heavy!!! and i'm not setting a very good life example for my daughters, who are overweight as well @ 12 & i know its my fault!!! so its TIME to take ACTION!!! i'm gonna sch.d a seminar date after this post...and have already requested the guidelines from bcbs.....i guess i'm fearful of my md (he's not too impressed w/bariatric anything....tooo risky...but he gave me diet pills!!! as if....) and the documentation....i dont have dates of all the times i started Atkins, slimfast, southbeach, the cabbage Soup diet & the list goes on & on!!! i wasnt seeing my dr every time i did something like this....do i write the letter or does my md?? also.....i smoke...and i want to quit!!! but ya know whats stopping me....thats right...i'm afraid i'll gain more wgt!!!! i'm hoping that going to the seminar will help me understand more.....do the nutritionists help mom to figure out how to meal plan for the whole family? i know that i need to get myself on track, but i feel like i have also de-railed 3 other people along the way w/my poor choices (my husband just had to order new uniforms for work, went up a pant & shirt size!, but he is still slender)! i just want to get started!!! my dogs are even getting fat!!!

welcome to the journey. I'm 37, and started out at 265, my first official appt was at 256. I'm currently down to 242 as of last wednesday. I'm pre op. But should be banded sometime in September. I'm so excited. I'm ready for the tool. The trick is knowing how to use the tool.

My dietician helped with teaching my kids to eat properly. They're 11 yrs and twin 2 yr olds... all boys. One of the twins is overweight, and my other two are where they should be size wise. But I learned so much from her. Truth be told, you will get so much information from the person, you probably will not remember it all. They don't mind being called and asked a question. I love my dietician. (leah Usher). She is awesome.

MY pcp wasn't real impresssed when I told him I was going this way. But having had all the tests, and all, and finding that he really screwed up, he's eating those words. Now he's in a rush for me to have the band.

Teri

wow, what a letter, packed with questions, and realizations and guilt and everything in between. Welcome!!! I think in AA thats what they call the first step! I am less than 2 weeks post op and already, even after 2 weeks of liquids and major surgery I would not change a thing. Only regret is that this was not available to me in my 30's. I am now 52 and Thank God it's available now. This is a life changing TOOL that will help you get to a healthy weight. If your dr. doesn't agree, change Dr's! The older you get, the faster the co-morbidity issues come up.

The one thing my lap band group was adament about was smoking, they will not treat you if you are a smoker, they feel it does nothing but hinder recovery. I quit a year and a half ago, and never regret doing so. I used a "magic Pill" called Chantix, that from day one was a miracle for myself and my husband. We both were 30+ year smokers, we have both quit and never looked back. I did gain weight, but that weight gain was what brought me to the lap band surgery in the first place. If I were still a smoker I wouldn't have felt I needed to loose weight, that 25 lbs I gained put me over the edge and I felt I needed help to loose. (does that make sense??)

Where in upstate NY are you? I am in the Rochester area....are you close to me?

I wish you luck, I hope you make that first phone call and get the ball rolling, keep up that determination and all else will fall into place. :lol:

Carol

Dr. Cerabona does some office hours in Duchess, I think. I can't gush enough about him and his practice--the insurance folks are AMAZINGLY helpful, the dieticians are great, the PA is super-responsive, and their pre-op info and testing is so much more thorough than the other docs I saw. Definitely worth the trip, IMHO--hell, I flew from los angeles!

Are you talking about Dr Cerabona from WMC? Where in Dutchess does he have hours? I almost went to him. I live in upper Westchester, NY. I decided on NYU-You flew to Westchester from Ca- not NYCity? I would think LA would have great Drs to choose from. Anyway, don't mean to have too many personal questions! Glad that you are happy and doing well! I was banded 7/7 an doing well.

thanks all!!! not far from rochester....i'm a 315er...lol...i am determined!!!! i need to do this!!! not a want a need!!!! i have so many questions...hopefully i can ask them at the seminar....writing them all down... thanks again...i'm on my way!!!!

My seminar was so packed full with people I didn't get but one question answered. That was something to do with hospital stays. My hospital can do it as outpatient surgery now. Although I believe my insurance requires an overnight stay, and because I have a hiatal hernia, I'll be in over night anyway.

teri

Teri -

I did not really sleep in the overnight stay, but it gave me a chance to get started on the walking. I walked every 1/2 hour and according to the note by the nurses station, I walked a mile and 1/2 that night!

Good luck on your journey

Gilta

I should hear later this week when my surgery is. I'm so excited.

Teri

Anyone going to the support group for Dr D this week?

Are you talking about the support group for the practice at Westchester Medical Center? The one at 19 Bradhurst? I will probably be there. I asked and I can attend even though I didn't have the surgery with them. Has anyone gone to that group before? Does it start at 5:00 or 6:00 I got two different times quoted to me an need to find out.

Thanks!

My meetings are the third thursday of the month and first tuesday of the month. The thursday meetings are post op lapbands (we're actually required to go to one pre op), and the tuesday meetings are general wls meetings. I love the tuesday meetings, and after school starts I'll enjoy the thursdays I'm sure.

Teri

It's the support group meetings at RGH in the Weiner room .... gotta love that name.... next one is wed. at 6pm.

Do you know if anyone can go to that support group at RGH or does your surgery have to be done by Dr. D. Mine was done at Highland but I live much closer to RGH and I am not even sure if Highland has a support group. Thanks!

I think it's Dr D's support group only. Don't know. Call 922-link and ask about Dr Dibeneditto's support group.