Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass tomorrow I am really nervous. What was surgery day like for you?

Hi everyone I know I have been posting a lot on here lol. I am jist auper nervous. I have never had any sort of surgery ever in my life not even a minor one. Tomorrow I will be having gastric bypass. What was surgery day like for you? Any tips on how to calm my anxiety? 😥😥

I've had a billion surgeries (okay, not a billion), so I wasn't particularly nervous. I was really bored. I had to get there at 5am and they took me back shortly before 8. I have a prescription for Valium and they said I could take that morning of for anxiety, but I didn't. You just go in, go to sleep, and wake up and poof you're done! I did have some pretty severe nausea and pain for about 45 minutes in recovery and then it all disappeared. Just had a lot of muscle soreness for about a week after... like I did a lot of situps. No gas pain, either. You'll be amazed at how not hungry you are the first few days. Bring some pajamas or something and a brush and a cell charger. Things to keep you comfy and not bored during your stay. Your stomach itself won't hurt at all... which I found to be insane. You'd think it would.

Best of luck and welcome to the club!

No advice here. Just wanted to say we're date twins. I'm having djb-s surgery tomorrow. See you on the other side! Good luck :)

And some testimony from the Elder of the Pack. Like🐭🐺(mousecat) I too had to be there at 5Am for a 7AM surgery time, first thing on my Dr Needleman's surgery schedule at Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center, sound like a big name- You ought see how area it really takes up.
But they made me feel like I was the most important, indeed like I was the only patient.
Signed in at front door, had my own person to deliver me to the designated pre-surgery area, once there I changed out of my clothes and in to their patient gown. And then I tinkled, see we had a pact going, if I would void as much Fluid out as possible, I would not have to be "cathed", worth it to me. Got comity in my bed, and then, since I was Surgery #1 Dr Needleman brought in the bulk of. the surgical team. That was so very nice of him, in the back of my mind was the niggling worry since this was a teaching hospital I might be someone's practice dummy. He promised it would be him and him alone doing what needed done. Promised when they bring you in I'll wave. Didn't have to do that for me, but it was so cool he wanted to allay my fears. And my anesthesiologist was named David, said I could him Dave if I liked. Stayed until I was relaxed, Dave might have slipped so Happy juice in while we were talking, but it was okay. And in deference to my age there would be a pulmonologist and cardiologist also there, you see I was and maybe the only 72 year old patient he would have. His bio said he had done 70s before, one of the reasons I chose him. He is also the chief of Bariatric Medicine and Metabolic Weight Loss, a full Professor in the College of Medicine, trained many bariatric surgeons in the Midwest. I had said to myself" Frustr8 You are going to have this chance, your one chance, you deserve it, grant yourself THE VERY BEST possible. Like my buddy above I also have had multiple surgeries, but OSU was the first place to have non-swerving, non-wobble gurneys. Now others have said the Operating Theatre was cold, mine wasn't, that they are going to strap you down , strip you, place your arms in a crucifixion postion, nope none of those things happened. They offered to help me slide over onto the Operating table, nope this old girl can still do a few things herself. And this was the first one I ever encountered that I didn't feel I would immediately roll off the other side. And although they were super efficient, it was still quite relaxed. There was Dr Needleman over to my left,waving vigorously, yeah he really WAS THERE! And over on the other side sitting on stools was my cardio and pulmo guys, and they saluted. Then Dave tu led blankets that were warm around me, said Are you comfty, and called me by name. I said" Yes I believe I am" and that quickly I was asleep. The very next thing I knew I was in my room on 10 Doan, stretched like I was waking up from a summer,nap, except I had oxygen on and EKG leads on, but I felt good, no nausea, no tenderness, being a little of a Doubting Thomasina, I flipped my gown up to make certain they had done surgery. Figured if they had I would be heavily bandaged, nope no ABD, just 6 little criss-cross steri- strips and one in the top of my navel. Now I knew why they told me to scrub my navel well, he likes to use them. Since I had a scar on the bottom from my tubal ligation some 30 years ago, he used the top, until the swelli,g went down a little I had a kissing navel. Never had pain, my tummy was as flat as when I went in so no residual gas to expell. And I was expecting to feel like too many sit-ups, can't say I had that either. I did get to stay until Friday, because of my advanced age(on paper- I am not that old physically, PO's my PCP greatly, think I didn't break down and fall apart yet. All his Gloom and Doom was for naught!) But mine was so good I would not fear another, but Praise God a RnY is One and Done. Yeah the thing I used most was 10 foot long charging cord I got at Staples, comb, brush, chap stick and Biotene. And I will also Welcome You to the Kangaroo Klub. Why Kangaroo, you might ask ? Because, honey, we all now have pouches.😝👼😝

Went in and they took some blood, I got changed, the nurse asked a billion questions. They had me pee in a cup. Talked to the dr, anesthesiologist, etc. They hooked up my IV. Couldn't find a good hand vein and had to go the bend of my arm (which sucked because the next 3 days in the hospital, any time I bent my arm, the IV machine beeped at me. Nurse finally told me what button to push to shut the dang thing up!) Wheeled me in, told me they were giving me some sleepy time meds, I said this stuff works fast! Then I woke up in the recovery room. I got a catheter, but I slept the whole dang time anyway. I got out of surgery at about 2-230, and didn't get a room until 10! They told me that if I was in recovery more than an hour, they would get me up and moving around... they didn't I literally slept the whole day (pain meds do that to me). I don't remember them taking the cath out, but I know it happened. I had some gas pains on the second day. I was nauseated. Threw up when they gave me liquid pain meds, and that made me pee myself. So that was fun. Other then that everything was good!

You know I didn't have to per in a cup, one of the benefits of advanced age. That's to test for pregnancy, no windows to the East in pre-surgery, saves them from having to look for the 🌟 Star!

Got there at 11 for a 1:15 surgery time. They had me leave a urine sample so they could run a pregnancy test even though I am almost 50 and my husband was in a different state for the month prior so no nookie. They gave me a gown to put on. The anesthesiologist came in. Rumor had it the the whole anesthesiology team was super hot. Totally true. Then they brought my husband in. They were ahead of schedule so my surgery got bumped up 45 mins. They shooed my husband out and wheeled me to operating room. Super-Hot stopped me on my way and put something in my iv and I was out before we even got to the operating room. In recovery I woke up with clavicle pain, worse part of the whole thing. Stayed in recovery room for several hours because my room wasnt ready which I was cool with because i was sleeping. Only given tylenol. No stomach pain at all. Rang for potty "help" and some young guy came in to help me which wasnt my thing so i watched how he disconnected everything. I didnt let him assist me in the bathroom and he asked that I stay on the potty and ring for him to help me up. Yeah no. So each time I needed to potty after that I just disconnected myself and reconnected myself after. I wasnt wobbly on my feet so I felt ok doing it.

You are a little stinker, aren't you? Would have done(and have on some of my others) the exact same thing! FYI the other big Hospital in that end. of Columbus, Riverside Methodist does pregnancy tests on every female under 54. Did on one of my buddies from a Columbus suburb, Gahanna, she even showed them her abdominal hysterectomy scar, maybe they thought it was an air vent? Oh well, a good way to Bill insurances, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

You are a little stinker, aren't you? Would have done(and have on some of my others) the exact same thing! FYI the other big Hospital in that end. of Columbus, Riverside Methodist does pregnancy tests on every female under 54. Did on one of my buddies from a Columbus suburb, Gahanna, she even showed them her abdominal hysterectomy scar, maybe they thought it was an air vent? Oh well, a good way to Bill insurances, isn't it?

I had my tubes tied, a uterus ablation, and no special lovin', and they still urine tested me. If there was a baby, I'd say that baby was the next baby Jesus.

3 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And some testimony from the Elder of the Pack. Like🐭🐺(mousecat) I too had to be there at 5Am for a 7AM surgery time, first thing on my Dr Needleman's surgery schedule at Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center, sound like a big name- You ought see how area it really takes up...................Yeah the thing I used most was 10 foot long charging cord I got at Staples, comb, brush, chap stick and Biotene. And I will also Welcome You to the Kangaroo Klub. Why Kangaroo, you might ask ? Because, honey, we all now have pouches.😝👼😝

I have to tell you....ty so much for the SUPER comprehensive break down of your day for surgery. I actually got teary eyed. This allays my fears a lot. The uncertainty of knowing but not knowing? I know mine may be different but reading in your words sure does help! HUGS to you. and TYTYTYTYTYTY!!!

Edited by SimoneMonet

3 hours ago, jesseycakes said:

Went in and they took some blood, I got changed, the nurse asked a billion questions. They had me pee in a cup. Talked to the dr, anesthesiologist, etc. They hooked up my IV. Couldn't find a good hand vein and had to go the bend of my arm (which sucked because the next 3 days in the hospital, any time I bent my arm, the IV machine beeped at me. Nurse finally told me what button to push to shut the dang thing up!) Wheeled me in, told me they were giving me some sleepy time meds, I said this stuff works fast! Then I woke up in the recovery room. I got a catheter, but I slept the whole dang time anyway. I got out of surgery at about 2-230, and didn't get a room until 10! They told me that if I was in recovery more than an hour, they would get me up and moving around... they didn't I literally slept the whole day (pain meds do that to me). I don't remember them taking the cath out, but I know it happened. I had some gas pains on the second day. I was nauseated. Threw up when they gave me liquid pain meds, and that made me pee myself. So that was fun. Other then that everything was good!

Wow more blood and pee? I already did pre-testing what else do they check for again with the blood on surgery day? But Im glad everything went well for you!! 🤗🤗

3 hours ago, Sweettoothless said:

Got there at 11 for a 1:15 surgery time. They had me leave a urine sample so they could run a pregnancy test even though I am almost 50 and my husband was in a different state for the month prior so no nookie. They gave me a gown to put on. The anesthesiologist came in. Rumor had it the the whole anesthesiology team was super hot. Totally true. Then they brought my husband in. They were ahead of schedule so my surgery got bumped up 45 mins. They shooed my husband out and wheeled me to operating room. Super-Hot stopped me on my way and put something in my iv and I was out before we even got to the operating room. In recovery I woke up with clavicle pain, worse part of the whole thing. Stayed in recovery room for several hours because my room wasnt ready which I was cool with because i was sleeping. Only given tylenol. No stomach pain at all. Rang for potty "help" and some young guy came in to help me which wasnt my thing so i watched how he disconnected everything. I didnt let him assist me in the bathroom and he asked that I stay on the potty and ring for him to help me up. Yeah no. So each time I needed to potty after that I just disconnected myself and reconnected myself after. I wasnt wobbly on my feet so I felt ok doing it.

Nice! I loved how you were immediately self sufficient! Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Puts me at a lot more ease. Hopefully my anesthesiologist team wont be hot though. No need for high blood pressure haha 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Your hilarious 🤣😂😂

4 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And some testimony from the Elder of the Pack. Like🐭🐺(mousecat) I too had to be there at 5Am for a 7AM surgery time, first thing on my Dr Needleman's surgery schedule at Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center, sound like a big name- You ought see how area it really takes up.
But they made me feel like I was the most important, indeed like I was the only patient.
Signed in at front door, had my own person to deliver me to the designated pre-surgery area, once there I changed out of my clothes and in to their patient gown. And then I tinkled, see we had a pact going, if I would void as much Fluid out as possible, I would not have to be "cathed", worth it to me. Got comity in my bed, and then, since I was Surgery #1 Dr Needleman brought in the bulk of. the surgical team. That was so very nice of him, in the back of my mind was the niggling worry since this was a teaching hospital I might be someone's practice dummy. He promised it would be him and him alone doing what needed done. Promised when they bring you in I'll wave. Didn't have to do that for me, but it was so cool he wanted to allay my fears. And my anesthesiologist was named David, said I could him Dave if I liked. Stayed until I was relaxed, Dave might have slipped so Happy juice in while we were talking, but it was okay. And in deference to my age there would be a pulmonologist and cardiologist also there, you see I was and maybe the only 72 year old patient he would have. His bio said he had done 70s before, one of the reasons I chose him. He is also the chief of Bariatric Medicine and Metabolic Weight Loss, a full Professor in the College of Medicine, trained many bariatric surgeons in the Midwest. I had said to myself" Frustr8 You are going to have this chance, your one chance, you deserve it, grant yourself THE VERY BEST possible. Like my buddy above I also have had multiple surgeries, but OSU was the first place to have non-swerving, non-wobble gurneys. Now others have said the Operating Theatre was cold, mine wasn't, that they are going to strap you down , strip you, place your arms in a crucifixion postion, nope none of those things happened. They offered to help me slide over onto the Operating table, nope this old girl can still do a few things herself. And this was the first one I ever encountered that I didn't feel I would immediately roll off the other side. And although they were super efficient, it was still quite relaxed. There was Dr Needleman over to my left,waving vigorously, yeah he really WAS THERE! And over on the other side sitting on stools was my cardio and pulmo guys, and they saluted. Then Dave tu led blankets that were warm around me, said Are you comfty, and called me by name. I said" Yes I believe I am" and that quickly I was asleep. The very next thing I knew I was in my room on 10 Doan, stretched like I was waking up from a summer,nap, except I had oxygen on and EKG leads on, but I felt good, no nausea, no tenderness, being a little of a Doubting Thomasina, I flipped my gown up to make certain they had done surgery. Figured if they had I would be heavily bandaged, nope no ABD, just 6 little criss-cross steri- strips and one in the top of my navel. Now I knew why they told me to scrub my navel well, he likes to use them. Since I had a scar on the bottom from my tubal ligation some 30 years ago, he used the top, until the swelli,g went down a little I had a kissing navel. Never had pain, my tummy was as flat as when I went in so no residual gas to expell. And I was expecting to feel like too many sit-ups, can't say I had that either. I did get to stay until Friday, because of my advanced age(on paper- I am not that old physically, PO's my PCP greatly, think I didn't break down and fall apart yet. All his Gloom and Doom was for naught!) But mine was so good I would not fear another, but Praise God a RnY is One and Done. Yeah the thing I used most was 10 foot long charging cord I got at Staples, comb, brush, chap stick and Biotene. And I will also Welcome You to the Kangaroo Klub. Why Kangaroo, you might ask ? Because, honey, we all now have pouches.😝👼😝

Haha your hilarious! Thank you for your thorough experience it sure puts my mind at ease for tomorrow. At 72 years old I sincerely am so proud of you for going through this especially after having other surgeries. Its never too late to get your life back 👍👍👍

3 hours ago, Sweettoothless said:

They had me leave a urine sample so they could run a pregnancy test even though I am almost 50 and my husband was in a different state for the month prior so no nookie

They can never be too careful