Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 lbs in under a year?

This whole thing is a hell of a head game, honestly. Whenever I came on these forums and allowed myself to compare, I was convinced that I was losing at a slower rate than everyone else, but it's been 9 months and I'm down 90lbs so clearly my perception was way off.

Just focus on eating right, drinking Water, getting more active and paying attention to your doc. Everyone's body is different and we only remember the comparisons with others when we come off worse, so avoid that if possible.

2 hours ago, ummyasmin said:

To be honest, now that I'm actually losing weight, I'm just thrilled to actually be losing weight, I'll take whatever my body gives me. I didn't realise this until now but because every diet has failed me, including the lapband, a part of me didn't believe the bypass would work either. So I never dared to dream of actually making it to a goal weight. I'm only now daring to let myself think it might be possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm a little different because I've always lost about 20lbs a month on diets... but then I quit and regain. SO... to lose 20lbs in a month is like nothing in my mind and I expect more.

1 hour ago, sideeye said:

This whole thing is a hell of a head game, honestly. Whenever I came on these forums and allowed myself to compare, I was convinced that I was losing at a slower rate than everyone else, but it's been 9 months and I'm down 90lbs so clearly my perception was way off.

Just focus on eating right, drinking Water, getting more active and paying attention to your doc. Everyone's body is different and we only remember the comparisons with others when we come off worse, so avoid that if possible.

I honestly wish the side stats weren't a thing. It's basically asking people to compare to one another. Yes, I realize it's there to Celebrate accomplishments and to show progress... but for people like me (and I'm sure there are A LOT)... it just makes me jealous and angry and harsh on myself.

I'm in a private FB group with people that all had surgery the same time as me. And I see them posting about their weight loss and I know I should be happy for them, and I am, but I also get really upset at myself and I've thought about leaving the group numerous times. I feel similarly about this forum, but there's legit medical questions and stuff I do ask about.

13 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I honestly wish the side stats weren't a thing. It's basically asking people to compare to one another.

That's one of the reasons I deleted mine after being on this board for awhile.

Started the process at 288lbs, in April 2018 when I went to my first nutrition appt.

Surgery July 2018

Total loss 88 lbs

Edited by NYJenn

41 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I'm a little different because I've always lost about 20lbs a month on diets... but then I quit and regain. SO... to lose 20lbs in a month is like nothing in my mind and I expect more.

I've never really dieted before 😓

Edited by GreenTealael

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I've never really dieted before 😓

Maybe that's why I have unreasonable expectations for surgery. Because I have dieted... a lot... and always was somewhat successful... it just wasn't sustainable long-term. That's also why I didn't have much support for this surgery, because my friends and family had seen me lose a large amount of weight on my own.

Edited by mousecat88

6 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Yeah, I am very below my Water intake because it is so painful with my ulcer. They are satisfied with my 40-50oz a day right now until my ulcer heals. I am so used to pounding water... I used to be at 120oz + pre-op and now I am like a raisin. Everything is just so sensitive right now. I do drink hot water, which helps. I try to get in broth. Popsicles and stuff hurt because of the cold. I recently found a shake I can tolerate, so that's some more fluids. I can't wait til this stupid thing is gone so I can drink more! For some reason when I drink water, I feel like I want to vomit or get very nauseous, and it feels... lumpy?

I was a 64 oz of water a day. That was a lot for me. When I just hate water. Wish I could go back to that but I get the same results when I drink the water now. So I have to find other means to get the water intake. shakes, hot tea, popsicles, Soups and broth.

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

I honestly wish the side stats weren't a thing. It's basically asking people to compare to one another. Yes, I realize it's there to Celebrate accomplishments and to show progress... but for people like me (and I'm sure there are A LOT)... it just makes me jealous and angry and harsh on myself.

Yes, your not alone 🤭

I made myself crazy comparing stats and results. I was overly enthusiastic and wanted results right away. Seeing other people's successes made me jealous. It also made me question if I was doing things right.

Weight loss rates and totals are unknown outcomes for all of us. The way you look at weight loss and defining success will change and evolve.

Just keep in mind there is a big difference between someone that has 200 pounds to lose and someone that has 100 pounds to lose. The larger the start weight the quicker it will seem to come off in the beginning.

The last 20-30 pounds seem to be the worst for all of us no matter where we started 😂.

I thought I was losing slowly but it’s average. I’m losing rapidly comparing myself to my own past attempts. And I’m pleased with that!

Mouse's you said you would like a permanent IV in you? Be careful WHAT you wish for, I have had a PICC line in my upper left arm for 2 weeks tomorrow, not a barrel of giggles and laughs, oh it does have some sterling features but my feeding solution weighs close to 8-10 pounds, which is (surprise surprise) the amount you cannot safely exceed lifting with affected arm, so must remember to always puck bag apparatus up with right arm, yeah the one that has broken twice and had to be surgical repaired 8 years ago with a titanium plate and 12 screws. So both of this birdies wings have been wounded! Squawk squawk! Most of the time I wear it on my back, let my back muscles bear the strain, get fed for 14 out of the 24, so if I put it on at 9pm it isn't through until 11 am the next morning. And a story upon myself, last Friday I made a trek to. the BR, and 2500mp being fed in means frequent #1 trips. Took bag off, laid it on my shower bench to take a test from the weight. Got up and went to swing it back on, over balanced , staggered trying to regain my center of gravity, ended up hitting the bathroom door with my rump and sliding down it to the cold floor. And there I am, cradling the bag in my arms like a sick toddler. Tomkitten , hearing the commotion, comes trotting from the other end of the house. Now remember hes's all mine , even thinks like me, poor kid. " Are you all right?" Oh yeah, every 72 year old woman dreams of sitting on a cold slate floor on a Friday Night! " Shall I pick you up?" No Junior, any stress on THAT ARM you better have your Funeral suit found because if the catheter snaps inside me, it goes to my ❤, my lungs I might make it to local hospital but I'll die before I make Columbus! So I rolled to my least injured side and by bracing my feet and doing some fancy maneuvers managed to regain an upright position. TK wishes he had. made a video to post on YouTube, said he would earn MASSIVE👍 and it would be,popular. How much longer will I have this? End of year soonest, longest FOREVER? And since it is an open access to my innards it has to be kept very clean and sterile as possible. Monday was to be a blood draw day for me, went to my local Band Aid Station, derogatory term Columbus hospitals have for my county community hospital, and the access was clotted off, had to get order to declot and make the PICC line open again. It was accepting the saline flushes and TPN in, but like a little toilet flapper valve, it was flopping closed. So spent a couple- 3 hours having it rectified, and I actually got a small free dinner. I had about a third cup mashed potatoes, some gravy and a Tablespoon maybe Tablespoon and half very tender Turkey that I chewed, chewed and put gravy( one bari-pal called it meat lube) on it, swallowed and kept it down. Mousecat, that is the first MEAT I have had since September 5th that I could keep down. And I took it abysmally slow but it worked. I almost cried with joy. And now my TPN for the next couple days will be clear, they are stepping back on the fat content, since I kept some food down. I made myself some potato Soup with skim milk and my lower fat cheese, celery and onion, and pureed it down smooth. Heat up about a 1/2cup in the microwave, sometimes I can get it all down, sometimes not but slowly. with baby spoonfuls I try. I want to get WELL so badly!

I remember feeling horribly low when @AlteredReality was losing big time (we had surgery at the same time) and I felt like such a failure. Miss Altered (said affectionately) is still kicking dust in my face, actually, but hey... I'm nearing 100lbs in less than 6 months. That is NOT something I dared to dream. And I'm practically doing nothing. Not exercising (disability) and just eating when I'm able to keep down a few bites (still no appetite... I miss not being able to enjoy a big plate of spaghetti or some tacos, but four bites and I'm at my physical limit.)

I hate when people say, "If I can do it, you can do it." But it's in the cards for you, too. I don't know what I'm doing right but I've almost reached my first real goal of breaking 200lbs. Who woulda thunk it?

Just make sure you don't ignore your vitamins/supplements. It's easy to dismiss their importance, especially when you start feeling better than you've felt in a long time.

I remember feeling horribly low when [mention=341880]AlteredReality[/mention] was losing big time (we had surgery at the same time) and I felt like such a failure. Miss Altered (said affectionately) is still kicking dust in my face, actually, but hey... I'm nearing 100lbs in less than 6 months. That is NOT something I dared to dream. And I'm practically doing nothing. Not exercising (disability) and just eating when I'm able to keep down a few bites (still no appetite... I miss not being able to enjoy a big plate of spaghetti or some tacos, but four bites and I'm at my physical limit.)
I hate when people say, "If I can do it, you can do it." But it's in the cards for you, too. I don't know what I'm doing right but I've almost reached my first real goal of breaking 200lbs. Who woulda thunk it?
Just make sure you don't ignore your vitamins/supplements. It's easy to dismiss their importance, especially when you start feeling better than you've felt in a long time.
Since surgery I've definitely felt worse than I have in a long time. lol! I am nonstop nauseous from the ulcer. I hate it so much. Last night, as seen in my other thread, I vomited nothingness in the middle of the night for no reason. I doubt taking Vitamins longterm will be an issue for me. I'm so used to taking a billion pills so what's 3 more? lol. I hope I get past this mental block... maybe when I see some greater weight loss, I'll feel better about it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

Mouse's you said you would like a permanent IV in you? Be careful WHAT you wish for.

Ugh, I know. I don't *really* want one. But some days it is challenging getting hydrated. I shoot for 50oz a day, which I usually meet. But the days I don't... I feel like the Sahara Desert. lol. Like today. Today is a desert day.

Also I am jealous your diet allows you to have potatoes! Jellllyyyy.

Edited by mousecat88