Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the beginning I was told no caffeine. Is that forever? Because since the weather started getting cooler here I have been going for the Hot Drinks. I started off with Decaf but am finding myself wanting the real deal now. I know the rule that for every ounce of caffeinated beverage I need to replace with 2 oz. non caffeinated. But what is the rule about caffeine in general???

I have to say I never heard that rule. I don't drink anything carbonated but I live off ice tea and that is caffeinated.

What is the reasoning for not having caffeine?

In the beginning I was told no caffeine. Is that forever? Because since the weather started getting cooler here I have been going for the hot drinks. I started off with Decaf but am finding myself wanting the real deal now. I know the rule that for every ounce of caffeinated beverage I need to replace with 2 oz. non caffeinated. But what is the rule about caffeine in general???
It really depends on your surgeon. Some docs let their patients have caffeine, others don't. There's no real hard and fast rule about it. I really think the basis behind it is that it can dehydrate you. I mean, I noticed lately (after I had been drinking more coffee and tea than plain water) that I got very dehydrated, to the point of having extremely salty saliva. The only thing that made it better was to really increase my Water intake. I think you'd be fine, though, if you do like you said and made sure that you drank twice as much water as caffeinated drinks.

My post-op instructions said I will not be drinking caffein anymore (or suppose to I guess). The instructions were generic for RNY & Lap-Band. There were some rules I either choose to ignore or I think belong to RNY for some reason. Caffeine didn't make sense to me, I'm not sure what it's suppose to effect..

I'm not a big coffee drinker, and I don't drink cokes anymore, but I do drink tea quite often. Something about for ever 1 caffeine drink, drink 2 glasses of Water.< /p>

It can be an irritant to your stoma, same with coffee. It isn't for everyone, but it can be.

If you are used to consuming it on a regular basis it really won't dehydrate you. If you are not used to consuming it, it can dehydrate you.

Each surgeon goes by different guidelines.

I do have coffee. Gevalia to be exact. This coffee is freshwater processed with fewer additives if any.

What I don't do is carbonated beverages and I think it WASABUBBLEBUTT who told me it was the carbonation that was the kicker.

So for me, number one is Propel strawberry Kiwi Water, 33.3 ounce bottles three times a day. staying hydrated and Water filled is great for flushing out all the stuff that will be exiting.

Best to you.

If you are used to consuming it on a regular basis it really won't dehydrate you. If you are not used to consuming it, it can dehydrate you.

Yep, found that out the hard way. :phanvan

I have been drinking caffine for a long time such as coffee and tea ect but at my last appointment my nurse said No caffine. I know that alot of this stuff I should have learned before I had my band but I didnt have a very good nutritionist. She taught me how to eat without a band and not with a band. You guys will not believe this but my First day going home I still did not know WHAT to eat and I asked the surgion he told me the nurse would fill me in so I asked her. She told me I could eat ANYTHING i could tolerate. So I had a bite of grill cheese sandwich. Later I just thought to myself this cant be right so I called and they gave me a little more information on what to eat. If I had to do it all over again I would have made sure I was more informed and maybe went to a different doctors office. I have not even Seen my actual doctor since I had surgery over a year ago. I only get to see nurses. Anyway sorry if I got a bit off the topic.

My Doc didn't say I couldn't have caffeine - I drink 1 or 2 cups in the morning and during the summer Ice Tea - infact hot chocolate (sf) is on my approved list of foods - choc has caffeine...

My surgeon told me that I could have my usual 1.5 cups of coffee in the morning with no problem. I haven't had any yet (5 days post), because it just doesn't sound good. The doc told me no carbonation, though

At the recent nutrition class I attended, the clinic's nurse indicated that caffeine can stimulate hunger..... I remember hearing that at weight watchers also ( I believe that was the 50th time I joined...lol). Who knows.....

My Dr siad to avoid it for the first 3 months after surgery and then it was ok

I was told that the caffeine eats away at your stomach lining, but I dont know... but I'm going nuts without having coffee. I have had it 2 times since my surgery, but I've felt fine.