Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin removal before losing my insurance. When did y’all consider it?

So I know I will need to have the excess skin removed from my stomach and a breast reduction. I went from 285 to 165. Surgery date was Aug 29th 2017. I have been lucky bc I am on my Mom’s insurance. Unfortunately she is retiring in a yr and a half so I will need to get it done before then. I haven’t heard of Medicare covering it all like my Mom’s insurance would. I didn’t pay anything to have the sleeve done. I know I won’t be that lucky again.

I have stalled the last couple months to the point I canceled my one yr follow up. I haven’t gained but I haven’t lost either. I am going to go back to the beginning to get the sugar out of my system and I need to get back to the gym. I was walking 6 days a week but I started a new job that is stressing me out and doesn’t work with my hours. It was so much easier when I wasn’t working.

Sorry this turned into a rant.

At what weight did you all start consider plastics? I know I still need to lose at least 20 ibs if not 30.

4 hours ago, Kristin84 said:

So I know I will need to have the excess skin removed from my stomach and a breast reduction. I went from 285 to 165. Surgery date was Aug 29th 2017. I have been lucky bc I am on my Mom’s insurance. Unfortunately she is retiring in a yr and a half so I will need to get it done before then. I haven’t heard of Medicare covering it all like my Mom’s insurance would. I didn’t pay anything to have the sleeve done. I know I won’t be that lucky again.

I have stalled the last couple months to the point I canceled my one yr follow up. I haven’t gained but I haven’t lost either. I am going to go back to the beginning to get the sugar out of my system and I need to get back to the gym. I was walking 6 days a week but I started a new job that is stressing me out and doesn’t work with my hours. It was so much easier when I wasn’t working.

Sorry this turned into a rant.

At what weight did you all start consider plastics? I know I still need to lose at least 20 ibs if not 30.

It's going to all depend on the requirements for the removal. Each insurance is different, some don't cover it at all, others only cover it after a set amount of time AND a history of problems that would not clear up with standard treatments. Mine, I have to be at a stable weight for either 1 or 2 years AND have documented, photographed evidence of skin issues on the excess skin, and even then, they only cover certain areas of the body.

Check into intermittent fasting, it's REALLY helped me out.

My team considers plastics when you stop losing, usually after your 1 yr follow up with surgeon you ask about it.

Why did you cancel your follow up? Do you think didn't lose enough? There are other things to discuss at the follow up like blood work, which is more critical than goal weight...

Edited by GreenTealael

I know it’s very important. I am disappointed in my self and I hate being a letdown to everyone. I know I shouldn’t let it get to me. I am going to call this week. I kept telling myself I was going to get back to basics but I am just having a hard time with it. I work in an office and the cafeteria is right across the hallway. It was so much easier before I started working again. I am going away this week so it will be easier to get back on track.

Go to your follow up!! Stay under care of a MD. I switched to my internist at 6 months but I echo get lab work. I had LBL and BL plus some work on outer thigh and a bit of fat transfer to plump up my bum after 1.8 years after sleeve. Just had extended arm lift abou 3.5 years after sleeve and will have my inner thighs completed in March. I have depleted my sick leave!!! Insurance has covered nothing but lab work and prescriptions. I was private pay for sleeve as well. Worth every dime. I hit my goal weight at 10 months with a loss of 100 lbs.