Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I eat baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread

14 hours ago, WellsK1959 said:

I’ve been told that foods like rice and potatoes aren’t good for you. My dietary counselor was telling me that I should keep away from them. She offered things like zucchini noodles and cauliflower “rice”. How do you feel about them?

My disclaimer for anyone pre op or new to Bariatric Eating. Stay on your plan and learn how to eat and fuel your body. Yes, Dieticians plans work.

I have great recipes with riced cauliflower. (I have a stuffing recipe just in time for thanksgiving)

Many reasons for dieticians instructions not working (no judgment for anyone struggling with theses issues) Complications, medical issues, medications, wrong type of surgery, hormones, pregnancy, Grazing -eating above macros and calories.

Dietitians may change to a new eating plan due to the reasons above. Some choose an eating plan on their own.

It's a repeated angry rant and a forced eat carb campaign. Some how @Creekimp13 feels none of the rest of us know what we doing. Including all the medical professionals. If it was a thread on why their diet didn't work and they found this as an option (without judgment on other plans) I would have more respect for the original poster if this was an honest talk about plan alternatives

Question to the original poster

@Creekimp13 Why did your instructions not work for you? How far out were you when you noticed it?

Edited by skinnylife

As I have explained multiple times. My instructions worked phenominally for me. I am below goal and have eaten healthy carbs and fruits every day. My bariatric team is 100% on board with us eating baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain breads. We are encouraged to eat a good portion of our required Protein from plant sources due to the risks associated with a high animal protein diet.

I was shocked to see the propensity at this site to force the agenda of protein eating at the exclusion of other healthy foods, in particular, healthy carbs and fruit.....which are necessary for good health.

5 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

As I have explained multiple times. My instructions worked phenominally for me. I am below goal and have eaten healthy carbs and fruits every day. My bariatric team is 100% on board with us eating baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain breads. We are encouraged to eat a good portion of our required Protein from plant sources due to the risks associated with a high animal Protein diet.

I was shocked to see the propensity at this site to force the agenda of protein eating at the exclusion of other healthy foods, in particular, healthy carbs and fruit.....which are necessary for good health.

We get it. You are anti any other food plan but yours. So any dietitians plan that is different than yours is an agenda? Your statement is false.

Many of us have proven successful outcomes that our plans have worked long term. Why does it matter to you that it's not your plan? Out of curiosity how much protein do you eat in a day?

We do practice calorie control. From week three until goal...my calorie goal was 1000-1200 calories per day.

We are encouraged to move liberally. Lots of daily walking and 30 minutes of cardio or resistance training 3 times a week.

My particular diet allowes 75 calories of "treats" per day that can be banked for special occasions.

I do eat meat. When I do, it's mostly chicken and fish. I very occasionally eat fresh red meat. I get more than half of my daily require Protein from plant/carb bases sources. I eat 60g of protein per day.

Because research strongly links cancer to dairy and processed meats, I avoid any form of deli/luncheon meat, whey shakes, whey Protein Bars, yogurt, cheese, milk. I occasionally eat these things in small quantities.

I know bariatric patients who are getting 30%+ of their calories from these sources...and it's worth reviewing the research for your own safety.

Why do I care? Because it's sad to me that heavy people are working so hard to be healthy...and are largely uninformed of these risks.

When I no longer see vets in renal failure, and who have new cancers after weight loss surgery...I will stop caring.

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

You didn't mention this, but their flour was rationed and consumption extremely limited, as were fruits. You just listed a host of confounding items. Also limited as you mentioned is sugar. So during this time, they limited sugar, flour, fruits, baked goods. They ate high fat tinned meats, high fat butter (limited), real meat was limited, eggs/bacon as was alcohol and beer were limited...many fasted but def observed a calorie restricted diets.

BUT, the issue with the people who do low carb or Keto is NOT that it's our way or the highway, or that we believe and say that ALL people MUST low carb or die...the issue is with having alternate agendas so rudely and repetitively shoved down our throats and lambasted for believing in the efficacy of our woe (way of eating).

The other issue is having our dietary choice misrepresented by nonfactual BS. And most of us are sick of it. Cuz the OP posts it OVER and OVER and OVER ad nauseum. Like it's being shoved down our throats with the force of Thor's mighty hammer.

Most of us who are objecting are all in the same camp: THERE IS NO ONE DIET that is suitable for everyone! LOL. We pretty much all agree that we must find our own path through the woods to arrive at a sustainable liveable diet that turns into a forever lifestyle. And that is A-okey-dokey with us!!!!

I'm glad this high carb diet works for OP and others. I am. More power to them. They clearly did not have the same degree of metabolic derangement or medications that necessitate a low carb, adequate Protein, lower fat diet as I have. LOL. That's ok. LOL. The even bigger question is why then, if they can now magically tolerate all manner of carbs, why did they get so fat they needed bariatric surgery? And how is their lifestyle modified so they won't repeat history?

But I do hope we all agree, that you wouldn't give a diabetic or pre-diabetic heaps and heaps of carbs and expect their insulin levels and blood sugars to improve. At least I hope that's a universal understanding cuz if it isn't, then someone is engaging in magical thinking.

And btw, wouldn't it be fun? Let's all make a pact to meet back here in 3-5 years and measure our success with pics, weights, and tape measures.

Hey fluffy I have never said it’s my way or the highway.

In fact I have been trying to show that there are varied regimes that work and that everyone is different.

I think everyone should eat what works for them, that could be a diet of deep fried crickets and chocolate ants!

People might be interested to know that there is a significant increase in colorectal cancer in weight loss surgery patients.

This potentially encourages two behaviors...

1. Make sure to do your colonoscopies as directed by your health professionals for screening.

2. Pay attention to a colorectal cancer prevention diet. Which means...more Fiber, more carbs, less meat.

1 hour ago, skinnylife said:

If cost is a factor on the bagged rice or mashed cauliflower for you. You can make your own.

I dont buy prepared veg but as an example in Australia a 5 kg bag of potatoes costs approx $5, a small cauliflower probably costs about $4.

14 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

We do practice calorie control. From week three until goal...my calorie goal was 1000-1200 calories per day.

We are encouraged to move liberally. Lots of daily walking and 30 minutes of cardio or resistance training 3 times a week.

My particular diet allowes 75 calories of "treats" per day that can be banked for special occasions.

I do eat meat. When I do, it's mostly chicken and fish. I very occasionally eat fresh red meat. I get more than half of my daily require Protein from plant/carb bases sources. I eat 60g of Protein per day.

Because research strongly links cancer to dairy and processed meats, I avoid any form of deli/luncheon meat, whey shakes, whey Protein Bars, yogurt, cheese, milk. I occasionally eat these things in small quantities.

I know bariatric patients who are getting 30%+ of their calories from these sources...and it's worth reviewing the research for your own safety.

So, you are eating the same amount of protein as any other bariatric patient. You would agree 60 grams is not a high amount of protein. Right?

14 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Why do I care? Because it's sad to me that heavy people are working so hard to be healthy...and are largely uninformed of these risks.

When I no longer see vets in renal failure, and who have new cancers after weight loss surgery...I will stop caring.

Great that you care about other people health. I am a vet. I am not in renal failure or have cancer. Dr's labs and check ups are phenomenal. I'm in the best shape of my life. All of this and I am not on your plan.

I have absolutely no problem in informing people about possible risk But, your statements of your plan is the only plan is false.

22 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

We are all working hard to be healthy. Bariatric patients and people that have never been heavy work on nutrition and fitness. living a healthy lifestyle is to be commended! Not judged and slammed into the ground.

Inform of risks but don't tear people down for their experience in this. Don't hate motivate!

18 minutes ago, elcee said:

I dont buy prepared veg but as an example in Australia a 5 kg bag of potatoes costs approx $5, a small cauliflower probably costs about $4.

Not very expensive in the US for a bag of garlic roasted riced cauliflower. Many people buy or grow fresh and make their own. Cost and choice of organic is a personal decision.

Seriously, this post is like beating a dead horse. Is there a way I can stop getting notifications for it? Someone simply said what worked for them, and after rereading it, I see nothing that tells me that she was telling anyone else that what they were doing was wrong. This is exactly why at 6 months post vsg, I am ready to say good riddance to BariaticPal. It has become nothing but people arguing over the most trivial things.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

23 minutes ago, elcee said:

Hey fluffy I have never said it’s my way or the highway.

In fact I have been trying to show that there are varied regimes that work and that everyone is different.

I think everyone should eat what works for them, that could be a diet of deep fried crickets and chocolate ants!

No worries! I just wanted to expand on your point! I don't get that you are saying "it's my way or you're going to the hells!" 😂

You have to goto settings to stop getting notification. All opinions are valued. Even when we don't agree on this site. Take what is useful and ignore the rest. Pass on threads that may offend you.