Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I eat baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Yep, I eat them all. Love them. They're a daily part of my diet. Sometimes multiple times a day.

OMG, they're carbs!

Yep, they are. But they're not refined, over-processed, or bad.

And you know what else they are?

Excellent sources of plant based Protein and Fiber.

A baked potato has 160 calories. By itself, it has 4g of Protein. Throw some vegetarian chili on there and you're in the high teens. Awesome lunch!

Brown rice...half a cup has around 100 calories and 3g of protein. Add some bean or peas and you've got complete amino acids...tons of protein... and a crazy awesome amount of Fiber.

Why is dietary fiber important? To grow good gut bugs. Your microbiota and the health of your gut (and metabolism) depend on happy little bacteria. The strains of gut bugs that live in the guts of skinny people....have a favorite food: dietary fiber. Feed your good bugs good things and they'll be good to you.

They like to eat fruit, veggies, Beans, whole wheat bread...

Whole wheat bread? I eat this A LOT:)

For instance.....A lite Thomas English wheat muffin has 5g of protein for 100 calories. This dietary powerhouse has 8g of dietary fiber! Smear that sucker with your favorite nut butter or fruit preserves, and you're in business.

One of my favorite go-to dinners these days...... is fresh homemade wheat bread with 16 veggie soup...and fruit for dessert.

I eat about four servings of fruit a day...and that's not even counting the watermelon I huddle over in the car while hissing "My Precious...." LOL:)

A banana is not "a candy bar" A banana is a wonderful healthy food. I eat lots of them. Hell, I have a Yonanas that makes them into ice cream. They're terrific.

Normal weight does not HAVE to mean giving up carbs. It means being carb smart, balancing, and making mindful choices.

More than one way to do this whole thing.

Weight loss success does not mean ONLY eating meat for the rest of your life with broccoli on the side. That's great once in a while, though!

Not trying to tell anyone they're doing it wrong.....just sayin'....there's more than one way to do it right:)

Extreme thinking,
extreme dieting, extreme self denial....is not sustainable.Work on a forever diet you can live with.

Be mindful, be accountable....but be kind to yourself.

It's fantastic that you are enthusiastic about your new way of eating. Glad carbs work for you. You also need to understand that your plan may not work for other people's body physiology. I'm sure you don't appreciate when people to judge your plan. There is no need for you to judge other people's plan. Just sayin'.

Not sure what extreme dieting, Extreme thinking and extreme self denial.?? Not sure what that is in reference to. What you view as extreme may not be extreme to others. We all have are own path.

All opinions are welcome. My plan is also different. I just feel no need to preach it.

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

What I think is awful....is how people here are continually encouraged to do what doesn't work.

How many hundreds of posts have we read that go like this:

"I lost all this weight by self denial and will power and eating a very restricted diet....and I'm so sad and disgusted with myself that I put half of it back on. HELP!"

And what do these people routinely get told here?

Go back on your diet that was unsustainable...and didn't work. Try harder. Deny more.

It's crazy. And it's unhealthy to yo-yo.

There is no harm in illustrating a DIFFERENT path supported by science. No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

There are and always will be a variety of options and opinions.

I have no problem illustrating a different path. All opinions are valued. Diets and plans are not a one size fits all. No need preach negativity and judgment just because you don't like the other plans represented. You want people to be respectful of your carb plan. You might want to also be respectful of other people's plans in return.

Who cares if we don't take the same route or make the same choices? We are adults (or at least I like to think) Make your own educated decisions. Be your own amazing!

23 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

I have no problem illustrating a different path. All opinions are valued. Diets and plans are not a one size fits all. No need preach negativity and judgment just because you don't like the other plans represented.

Says the woman who "liked" a post of someone rolling their eyes at my perfectly polite post about why I choose to eat carbs.

If you want to preach tolerance, perhaps you should show some and not be a hypocrite? Just sayin...

Would it have hurt you to just ignore a post about eating carbs? Don't people have a right to read it and decide for themselves without you policing it and interjecting your defensiveness about your own diet?

As shocking as this might be....the OP was not about YOU:)

I promise if you want to add to the million other posts here about eating gross quantities of animal protein...I won't say a word. Your diet...your thread....your thing.

Live and let live. You'll live longer.

This is the reason there are so many destroyed relationships after WLS (marriages, friends and the like). I've had the misfortune of watching my youngest son's marriage fall apart (they have 3 young children) because his wife decided to jump on the holier than thou vegan wagon. She now spends her time condemning others for their food choices and expecting everyone to accommodate her food choices anytime she's around and might need to eat. Too many people start treating food like religion after they find something that worked for them. I'm sorry, but if I know it's an evangelist at my front door, I'm not answering it. I don't want to debate my beliefs with anybody. That's why a lot of the support group admin's on Facebook will pull out the ban hammer when people start preaching absolute (and potentially argumentative) opinions for a healthy lifestyle. They're considered trolls and get booted. I'm not saying that anyone should get booted here but save the judgmental rhetoric for your own circle. I think pretty much everyone on here has from time to time had to deal with judgmental people and their advice on the "healthiest way to eat" and just want to find what works best for them by filtering through lots of other people's experiences.

15 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

This is the reason there are so many destroyed relationships after WLS (marriages, friends and the like). I've had the misfortune of watching my youngest son's marriage fall apart (they have 3 young children) because his wife decided to jump on the holier than thou vegan wagon. She now spends her time condemning others for their food choices and expecting everyone to accommodate her food choices anytime she's around and might need to eat. Too many people start treating food like religion after they find something that worked for them. I'm sorry, but if I know it's an evangelist at my front door, I'm not answering it. I don't want to debate my beliefs with anybody. That's why a lot of the support group admin's on Facebook will pull out the ban hammer when people start preaching absolute (and potentially argumentative) opinions for a healthy lifestyle. They're considered trolls and get booted. I'm not saying that anyone should get booted here but save the judgmental rhetoric for your own circle. I think pretty much everyone on here has from time to time had to deal with judgmental people and their advice on the "healthiest way to eat" and just want to find what works best for them by filtering through lots of other people's experiences.

🙏🏻 Amen!

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

Says the woman who "liked" a post of someone rolling their eyes at my perfectly polite post about why I choose to eat carbs.

If you want to preach tolerance, perhaps you should show some and not be a hypocrite? Just sayin...

Would it have hurt you to just ignore a post about eating carbs? Don't people have a right to read it and decide for themselves without you policing it and interjecting your defensiveness about your own diet?

As shocking as this might be....the OP was not about YOU:)

I promise if you want to add to the million other posts here about eating gross quantities of animal protein...I won't say a word. Your diet...your thread....your thing.

Live and let live. You'll live longer.

Feel free to ignore my posts as well,

I'm posting not for you but for all the others that read this board. You are my top example by your reputation as an attention seeker. Why you feel the need troll here for years is unknown. Anyone feel free to look up @Creekimp13 thread activity https://www.bariatricpal.com/profile/330039-creekimp13/?tab=activity For the years of her peorsonal attacks..Ugh its exuasting.

If it was an honest talk about a diet plan without bashing and negativity. I would have more respect for you and this thread.

Ever have that feeling that....At some point...the discount you get on a batch of Flapjacked Mighty Muffins....just isn't worth the headache?

Oye! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Edited by Creekimp13

It never fails. You mention you eat carbs...or more than 500 calories a day...and the jealous starvation hangry patrol comes out with torches...frothing and calling for your head.

Well....ya'll enjoy that. I got bigger fish to air fry. With a baked potato:)

29 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

It never fails. You mention you eat carbs...or more than 500 calories a day...and the jealous starvation hangry patrol comes out with torches...frothing and calling for your head.

Well....ya'll enjoy that. I got bigger fish to air fry. With a baked potato:)

I also eat a different diet. Carb Loading with distance running. No one is jealous of my diet why would they be of yours? The difference is I feel no need to preach my diet or disrespect other people or their diet plan.

Is it jealousy or calling you out on your behavior? Let the viewers decide.

download.jpg

52 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Ever have that feeling that....At some point...the discount you get on a batch of Flapjacked Mighty Muffins....just isn't worth the Headache?

Oye! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Leaving again is always an option....surely you can afford the muffins

Edited by MIZ60

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

What I think is awful....is how people here are continually encouraged to do what doesn't work.

How many hundreds of posts have we read that go like this:

"I lost all this weight by self denial and will power and eating a very restricted diet....and I'm so sad and disgusted with myself that I put half of it back on. HELP!"

And what do these people routinely get told here?

Go back on your diet that was unsustainable...and didn't work. Try harder. Deny more.

Haha, this. In the end it's so sad that you can only look at it with a grim sense of humor.

13 minutes ago, summerset said:

Haha, this. In the end it's so sad that you can only look at it with a grim sense of humor.

People gain for many reasons. The answer is not as simple as go back to basics. It's not as simple as add carbs. Some gain due to complications, need a revision, hormonal changes, medical issues, medication side effects, diet etc. None of this is a one diet fits all. none of us here are medical professionals,

Edited by skinnylife

3 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

True, I've been at maintenance since July...not long at all. Touche. You're right.

You're indeed not that far out but it doesn't matter anyway, people will continue being mad at you (or continue laughing at you) at 15 + years out as long as you're not preaching to the choir, lol.

1 minute ago, skinnylife said:

People gain for many reasons. The answer is not as simple as go back to basics. It's not as simple as add carbs. Some gain due to complications, need a revision, hormonal changes, medical issues, medication side effects, diet etc. None of this is a one diet fits all.

And this is exactly why I abhor the "advice" that does boil down to "TRY HARDER!!!!!1".

2 minutes ago, summerset said:

And this is exactly why I abhor the "advice" that does boil down to "TRY HARDER!!!!!1".

Amen.

Ya, Try harder with surgical complications ..Ugh The judgment placed on people's struggles in BP is less than helpful. Not everyone experiences a smooth process with WLS.