Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many times there are pre-triggers that will occur warning you if you are about to exceed the amount of food your stomach will hold. These will vary between individuals. Some common ones are sneezing, excess mucus, hiccups, the taste of food radically changing taste. Most times if I stop eating when I hit a pre-trigger, I will not dump. So if you are afraid of dumping, learn your body pre-triggers.

What James said!
I don’t think I’ve dumped ever but I have feel ill due to eating too much and too fast. Before I knew it I ate too much. Or the same feeling when too much sugar in a food. But that’s my own stupidity

Mostly you learn your pre- triggers. For me it’s a few hiccups :)

I haven’t ever dumped with my rny but your body will let you know when too much is too much. I can handle sugar/carbs just fine but know when to stop and try to stay within my parameters.

But I never experienced what others claim as dumping: the curled up on the floor In fetal position, sweating, stomach rumbles/pain etc.

I have not had early dumping but have had a few episodes of late dumping which occurs for me about 90 minutes after eating.

For the most part I tolerate all foods in moderation although I do not eat bread barring occasional flatbread or wraps. Rarely I eat homemade baked goods, on a special occasion.

Many people that have gastric bypass will not dump, and for those that do the effects may lessen as the surgery matures.

I have had dumping - two different types.

Firstly, excess sugar. This is easy to avoid - check labels, don’t push what you can do. 10g added sugars in a serving is my max and I have no desire to see if I can stretch that because I don’t want to go back to eating sweets. Sugar dumping at worst is hideous - sweats, retching, diarrhoea, and feeling awful. I had it twice early on, and never ever want to experience it again. A mild form if I Push the boundaries - sweating, yawning uncontrollably, and feel a bit off.

For me overeating is a bit different. Stomach pain but not for 10 or so mins until I stop eating, so I really need to keep an eye on my volume. Easiest when I put my food on my plate. The pain is accompanied by a slight nausea, a bit of hot skin, and fatigue but maybe not yawning. This I have experienced a few times as I sometimes misjudge a food portion size...

I'm almost 4 months post op and I'm petrified of dumping. So far so good. My pouch has definitely been upset with me over eating something too high in sugar. It's just something you need to keep watch of. But, I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to happen at some point. I'm just hoping I can put it off for as long as possible.

I never had a dumping issue, but I agree with what was said above. Pay very close attention to your body. I get the hiccups when I'm getting close to being "full". I've pretty much learned how much I can eat of what. Example: If I get a burger at a restaurant I cut it up in to four pieces. I can eat one piece or a 1/4 of the burger (no fries) and that's it. If I eat salmon I know I can eat half of it, salad I can eat almost a full salad. If I do take that extra bite, I start hiccupping right away. I'm guessing if I ate a bit more I'd get dumping.

Boy It really is a BRAND NEW WORLD, ISN'T IT?

I have a band looking to revise to bypass. I know that bandsters don't generally get dumping but I occasionally have a very strange set of symptoms.

I will get a pain in my one shoulder blade and a severe headache, feel horribly nauseous and as though I am about to pass out. It is generally caused by drinking some form of white spirits e.g gin or vodka, sweet drinks such as flavoured cider and once it happened when I drank a slushie.

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Only thing I can come up with, the way things are draining thtough, hope someone else has some better idea.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, Tthompson214 said:

Those of you that have had gastric bypass have you had a lot of problems with dumping syndrome? I'm real leary about that too. I'll be having my surgery in February.

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had dumping once. I've had a lot of uncomfortable moments because I ate a food I knew I shouldn't... but just the 1 instance of real dumping syndrome. To be honest... I wish it happened, the whole idea of having a negative feedback for the foods I shouldn't be eating was a good thing. Now, there is nothing stopping me from eating them except my own will power.

I actually have had dumping syndrome before bypass. It occurs vary randomly and usually when I eat something sweet like a caramel chocolate bar or something of the such. I get "cold sweats" about 15 mins after eating said item along with RUQ cramps. I immediately have to get to the bathroom because diarrhea quickly follows. I hope it doesn't mean Illl dump worse with gastric bypass but it is an excellent deterrent. I usually refuse to eat the food that causes the issue for a couple months afterwards

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

An excellent plan, you will be a success with such a plan.

I am going to have my bypass done in Feb 2018. Did you go on any special diet beforehand? If so where can I find a diet to follow before surgery? Thank You for your help. My sister had bypass 10 years ago and said she never had dumping. I have asked her questions and she said that she didn't really follow any special diet in the months before just right before surgery.