Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
One Bariatricpal Multivitamin One Capsule a Day, All the Vitamins and Minerals You Need! Read more... ×

I don't understand!!!



Recommended Posts

You have probably already heard this, and keep in mind we are collectively trying to be an encouragement for you, but I've been told one needs to concentrate on how your clothes fit more than anything else. I was a carb eater, and probably got less than half my current Protein intake. There is a possibility that I'm actually gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, Nevertheless, even though I am not progressing rapidly on the scale, I've really had to ratchet the belt in. It's nice to have to keep on pulling my pants up because they are too big, instead of from my spare tire pushing them down :)

Do you feel better? Are your health indicators better? If they are improving, then that is (IMO) the most important. My blood pressure went down considerably 3 weeks after surgery. That is a win for me right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

Not to be rude, but people with metal health issues can't always control their mood or always be positive. I am here because this is suppose to be a supportive community not one who that dictates how to feel or states I have unrealistic expectations in one sentence then that I don't know how to differentiate between temporary and actual weight gain. What I said was how I feel, the frustration and depression not a lack of understanding or intelligence I thought that is what these forums are for. I apologize, but I have really found your posts hurtful.

When you're struggling and it's hard to be positive, believe me I understand fully, try to lean on the momentum of others wherever you can find it until yours picks up again.

Please visit the NSV threads...

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another pound gained at my weekly weigh in, guess I should only weigh in monthly! My nutritionist said I should not be gaining weight a month out and I have gained 4lbs, I'm at a loss, but whatever I'm doing what they said so F**k it!

On 9/11/2018 at 6:46 AM, Matt Z said:

I wouldn't worry, have you started eating differently / transitioning to normal foods? If so, this will cause this. As long as you are tracking your intakes and you are consuming less calories than you are burning per day, AND you are getting PLENTY of Water (upwards of 128oz minimum) then you'll be fine. Fluctuations happen, stalls happen, gains happen. Just stay on course and you'll be fine.

You have not failed. Unless you are eating all sorts of crap and aren't trying, then you haven't failed at all.

I have tried increasing my Water, I know you've mentioned that before, I'm just having a hard time getting Fluid in at work. I get 60 in and then another 20 when I get home, but I'm having a hard time getting more than that.

I am sure I'm not being more calories than I eat though. I have a desk job so my only exercise is my nightly walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I had the same issue as you. I came out of the hospital 5 lbs heavier than I went in! Then I didn't lose anything for 2 weeks and I was barely eating. However, I think while you are recovering your body simply shuts down a bit to conserve energy (read calories) that it needs to help heal you. Once I was fully recovered the weight started to come off pretty quickly (around 2 lbs a week) and consistently for about 6 months.

You'll get there, so don't lose heart or hope. It's a journey and unlike with dieting it actually does work:). Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trinkat said:

Hi, I had the same issue as you. I came out of the hospital 5 lbs heavier than I went in! Then I didn't lose anything for 2 weeks and I was barely eating. However, I think while you are recovering your body simply shuts down a bit to conserve energy (read calories) that it needs to help heal you. Once I was fully recovered the weight started to come off pretty quickly (around 2 lbs a week) and consistently for about 6 months.

You'll get there, so don't lose heart or hope. It's a journey and unlike with dieting it actually does work:). Good luck.

Well I'm 6 weeks post op so I don't think it's a healing thing, but I'm going to give it another two weeks and then I'm calling the dr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’d definately ask your dr and bring in a few days of meals written out to see what you could tweak. It looks pretty good to me but maybe no mashed potatoes and just eat more Protein to fill your stomach. I am 8 weeks out and have trouble meeting protein goals so I never get to the veggies or carbs. I’ll be the odd one and say that does seem like a long stall to me so close to your surgery and I totally get why you are frustrated. Are you exercising yet? I’m a slow loser so I added in a 1hr workout and weight loss increased to 3lb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One more thing I think your Fluid intake is fine. I have no idea how people drink more than 64oz of Water a day after the surgery. I am constantly drinking and hit around 50oz a day. My plan says 48oz minimum so technically I’m ok but I do wish I could drink more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alioolala said:

I’d definately ask your dr and bring in a few days of meals written out to see what you could tweak. It looks pretty good to me but maybe no mashed potatoes and just eat more Protein to fill your stomach. I am 8 weeks out and have trouble meeting Protein goals so I never get to the veggies or carbs. I’ll be the odd one and say that does seem like a long stall to me so close to your surgery and I totally get why you are frustrated. Are you exercising yet? I’m a slow loser so I added in a 1hr workout and weight loss increased to 3lb.

The mashed potatoes were on the menu the dietitian gave me. He looked at my diary and said I wasn't eating enough carbs, everything needs to be 50/50. I exercise every day. i either walk, treadmill or elliptical. I am only doing a 1/2 hours but that's mostly because I work until 5 I get to the gym at 5:30 then workout until 6 and have to drive home and make dinner for everyone and then myself. If I stay any later I won't be eating until 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Stop weighing (if you can) for a while

I agree. Obviously if the scale isn't moving and then going up, it needs to be banned for awhile. The Dr wants me to weight in once a week, but it's just sending me spiraling in to depression so I don't think I can anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alot of us have pcos and are sensitive to carbs. Even work the lower calories I've noticed of I go over 45 carbs for the day my loss stalls and I fight the same 2 or 3 lbs until I look at my kid and day oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was having the same issue. I was almost three weeks out and lost 10 but gained 2 back. It puzzled me because I wasn’t hardly eating. Well, after I talked to my nutritionist we agreed that I needed to eat and drink more. Literally two days later I dropped 8 pounds. Maybe you should speak with your nutritionist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also 1 lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories, Check this against your BMR and caloric intake for say two days. You need a deficit of 7000 calories to burn 2lbs of fat.

The numbers that move around more often is due to Water influx and retention due to various changes, increased blood volume, hydration level, even non excreted waste (constipation) can add fluctuations in weight.

When the dust settles after a few weeks (to account for possible stalls) and you no longer weight in range of a specific point, take it as a true loss, (or gain)

Don't let the scale have so much control

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Also 1 lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories, Check this against your BMR and caloric intake for say two days. You need a deficit of 7000 calories to burn 2lbs of fat.

The numbers that move around more often is due to Water influx and retention due to various changes, increased blood volume, hydration level, even non excreted waste (constipation) can add fluctuations in weight.

When the dust settles after a few weeks (to account for possible stalls) and you no longer weight in range of a specific point, take it as a true loss, (or gain)

Don't let the scale have so much control

My intake is approximately 1500 calories for 2 days. Per my guidelines I should be eating 700-1000 calories a day, I burn about 200 per day exercising.

My numbers do not fluctuate on the scale, I think that is why it is frustrating. It's not up and down. It didn't move at all for weeks and then it just went up. and has remained up for almost a week now.

Technically I have only lost about 5 lbs in the 6 weeks I have been home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kaleeshab said:

I was having the same issue. I was almost three weeks out and lost 10 but gained 2 back. It puzzled me because I wasn’t hardly eating. Well, after I talked to my nutritionist we agreed that I needed to eat and drink more. Literally two days later I dropped 8 pounds. Maybe you should speak with your nutritionist.

see that is what is confusing to me. The dietitian said my carbs and Protein need to be equal. 70g protein 70g of carbs 70 oz of Water. I am only doing exactly what they are telling me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×