Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
One Bariatricpal Multivitamin One Capsule a Day, All the Vitamins and Minerals You Need! Read more... ×

Pain scale for band fill



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks post op for the lapband and I cant seem to find any information on the pain involved in having my band filled. Obviously the port is quite deep under my fat tissue so I assume its a pretty big needle to reach the port, so is it agonising or does it just feel like a regular injection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about it : it's painless and done in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CorinneM said:

Don't worry about it : it's painless and done in no time.

Thank you :)

Also, I dont have a clue of the location of my port, would the clinic know?

The large cut is almost along the bottom of my left rib cage but I can't feel anything underneath it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CorinneM said:

Don't worry about it : it's painless and done in no time.

Also, our measurements are very similar! Well done on your loss so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jonicorn said:

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks post op for the lapband and I cant seem to find any information on the pain involved in having my band filled. Obviously the port is quite deep under my fat tissue so I assume its a pretty big needle to reach the port, so is it agonising or does it just feel like a regular injection?

Pain is so completely subjective that it's pretty impossible for anyone else to tell you want you are going to feel. It's a different needle than would typically be inserted into you, it's got the opening on the side of the needle and not the tip, this is so that the needle doesn't cut a whole in your port. You'll lay down, they might have you flex your abs, they might have you do a bit of a crunch to push the port closer to the skin. They insert the needle then have to move it around a bit to get it into the port, sometimes they have to remove the needle and try again. I've had situations where it took them 4 or 5 sticks to get it right. It's going to feel like getting stuck with a needle... whatever pain you experience when giving blood, it's a little bit of an increase from that sensation, and potentially several of those. Not horrible, but not always super easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no pain whatsoever. Mosquito bites hurt more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first fill yesterday and I felt no pain at all! Slight scratch of the needle going in, I'd say less painful than a blood test because its straight into belly fat!

I was petrified - but really...nothing to worry about! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GastricGirl said:

I had my first fill yesterday and I felt no pain at all! Slight scratch of the needle going in, I'd say less painful than a blood test because its straight into belly fat!

I was petrified - but really...nothing to worry about! :)

Thank you. I went for my first fill on Saturday and feel silly for being nervous about the pain.

I would give the pain a 1/10. It felt exactly like a blood test, other than the wiggling of it. How are you getting on? You had your surgery the day after me :) we are weight loss twins haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonicorn said:

Thank you. I went for my first fill on Saturday and feel silly for being nervous about the pain.

I would give the pain a 1/10. It felt exactly like a blood test, other than the wiggling of it. How are you getting on? You had your surgery the day after me :) we are weight loss twins haha

Ahh I've been looking for a twinny!! I feel exactly the same really, slightly disappointed at the moment as I had some Breakfast this morning and do not feel at all restricted or different - I only had 2mls put in and dont feel like it was enough so think I might need a bigger fill next time! How are you getting on??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GastricGirl said:

Ahh I've been looking for a twinny!! I feel exactly the same really, slightly disappointed at the moment as I had some Breakfast this morning and do not feel at all restricted or different - I only had 2mls put in and dont feel like it was enough so think I might need a bigger fill next time! How are you getting on??

I had 4 ml's put into mine. I have a small band with max 10ml so I thought it was quite a big fill but the restrictions isnt exactly what I was expecting. I know it can take 4-6 fills to get the ideal restriction so hopefully it wont be too long until I am feeling it.

My portion size is definitely reduced though. Were you advised to eat liquid/sloppy for 4 days after fill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonicorn said:

I had 4 ml's put into mine. I have a small band with max 10ml so I thought it was quite a big fill but the restrictions isnt exactly what I was expecting. I know it can take 4-6 fills to get the ideal restriction so hopefully it wont be too long until I am feeling it.

My portion size is definitely reduced though. Were you advised to eat liquid/sloppy for 4 days after fill?

My surgeon said my band was a 10ml max one too - and said the most he would put in is 4ml for a first fill, but only put in 2ml. I suppose everyone is so different it is hard to tell!

I do think since surgery I feel fuller quicker (before fill), but dont really feel much change from the first fill. I was told to have liquids for 24hrs so I have just introduced soft food but its all going down completely normally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GastricGirl said:

My surgeon said my band was a 10ml max one too - and said the most he would put in is 4ml for a first fill, but only put in 2ml. I suppose everyone is so different it is hard to tell!

I do think since surgery I feel fuller quicker (before fill), but dont really feel much change from the first fill. I was told to have liquids for 24hrs so I have just introduced soft food but its all going down completely normally!

Well, I suppose that makes sense because the restriction only really takes effect when you're on regular chewable food because the band slows it down. The mushier it is, the quicker it will go through the band so I'm sure you'll notice more of a difference when you're back on a regular diet.

Have you introduced exercise back yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonicorn said:

Well, I suppose that makes sense because the restriction only really takes effect when you're on regular chewable food because the band slows it down. The mushier it is, the quicker it will go through the band so I'm sure you'll notice more of a difference when you're back on a regular diet.

Have you introduced exercise back yet?

I hope so!

Exercise-wise I am still worried to do anything too strenuous as I got an infection in one of my surgery wounds last week and it burst open (gross!!), so I am still taking it easy to make sure it all heals nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GastricGirl said:

I hope so!

Exercise-wise I am still worried to do anything too strenuous as I got an infection in one of my surgery wounds last week and it burst open (gross!!), so I am still taking it easy to make sure it all heals nicely.

I have been walking every day since my surgery which I think has made a massive difference with my weight loss. I really want to get into swimming but I'm scared lol. I go on holiday in almost 2 weeks time so will get lots of swimming in then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonicorn said:

I have been walking every day since my surgery which I think has made a massive difference with my weight loss. I really want to get into swimming but I'm scared lol. I go on holiday in almost 2 weeks time so will get lots of swimming in then.

Ahh I love swimming - It's such an easy exercise but so good for you! I used to go lots years ago, but since gaining weight I'm so self conscious in a swimming costume I talk myself out of going :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SleeveinIL

      I'm struggling a little. My younger sister wants to go out to a buffet for Thanksgiving so no one has to cook and stress. While I appreciate her sentiment, I also don't want to pay $65 a head (4 ppl in my family) especially since I can't eat much AND buffets are so difficult to deal with overeating. I told my sister after thinking about it that buffets aren't okay for me. She seemed to understand, but was disappointed. Am I being selfish by not going along with the plan? I purchased a turkey to cook and I can make sides that are bariatric friendly. Sigh, this one is bothering me. I might be emotionally low right now because my dog passed away recently and that is contributing to my thinking.
      · 2 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Sorry about your pup. That's a real grief you need to allow yourself to express.

        So $65 for each person is hefty. We couldn't afford that for TG for 4. But buffets don't freak me. I wouldn't even pay--just sneak a bite or two off a plate here or there. No biggie. But doing a restaurant or keeping food simple is also what works for most.

        Sorry you're having a tough time about the upcoming holiday. Remember, our joy will mostly be with being with those we love.

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        So sorry about the dog. It is so hard when they pass.

        Yes, that $65 is super steep. You'd really be paying $260 for 3 people to eat and you to watch. Yikes! And I'm sure they wouldn't let you in without paying. Maybe just beg your sis to put it off until next year when you might be able to enjoy it too? I mean, honestly, you've already got the darn turkey. You're still a work in progress and you sure don't want to throw up in the restaurant. Maybe thinking about it that way will help your sister understand. By next Thanksgiving, you'll be far more sure of what you can handle and what you can't.

        Good luck.

    • danieocean

      Stuck in a stall, been 237 for a few days. Sucks! But good news, I no longer fit in a 2XL leggings or shirts. Back to XL in shirts and leggings!!!  WOO!
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Feels great, doesn't it? Congrats! And track those measurements! I'd rather see inches disappear than pounds any day!

    • GreenTealael

      Snow.
      · 3 replies
      1. Kay07

        yup I have snow incoming too... followed by freezing rain. Oh joy!

      2. AggiG

        Yep same thing here. Where are you at?

      3. GreenTealael

        NYC

    • Kay07

      Oh my goodness... I am no longer obese. Holy freaking cow. I feel like this needs a celebration this weekend
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Yay!!!!! So happy for you!!

      2. GreenTealael

        🎉 Congrats 🎉

      3. Orchids&Dragons

        Isn't that just the best feeling ever!!! Congrats!

      4. KimTriesRNY

        That’s awesome! 💥

      5. Kay07

        Thank you all! It's a FANTASTIC feeling. I've still a long way to go, but I am truly loving every second of this journey!

    • Jazzy1125

      One Week Post Op today! I feel great and almost walking back to normal. I have learned in this short week to not drink your dinner protein shake at a constant sipping. I spent 30 min the last two nights trying to release the pressure in my chest. Lesson Learned! I am back down to Surgery Date Weight as of this morning, actually half a pound less. Now to look forward to actual losses LOL. I guess i had a lot of gas and liquids that are taking time to leave my body. Its all good, it will be gone eventually! I have no regrets, and take each day as it comes and look forward to the next stage next Thursday, and getting my stitches out on Tuesday.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×