Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Put these in order of importance on how they effect weight loss

i'm curious how people would rank these eight factors in importance for success after weight loss after surgery.

Which of these matters the most? Which matters the least?

If you don't want to do all eight, even ranking the top three or providing some insight into your choices....could make for a fascinating look at how we approach our journeys.

Diet

Luck

Exercise

Supportive home environment

Will to succeed

Emotional stability

Skill of surgeon

Mental health

Are there other important factors not listed here?

I'd agree:)

I wonder if the responses will vary according to our own perceptions as to whether we have control of the outcome of events in our lives.

Those who perceive they have little control in the outcome may say luck or skill of the surgeon, whereas those who feel they have control in the outcome would say it diet, exercise or their will to succeed (assuming it was strong). Then there are those who straddle both sides.

Some of the factors I would consider important are mental health which could go hand in hand with emotional stability, diet and supportive family/home environment.

Stable mental health, emotional stability and supportive family/home environment would hopefully help support a lifestyle (ncluding diet) conducive to weight loss and then long term maintenance.

Most Important

Luck/Skill of the Surgeon - I have very little hunger and it seems more restriction than most at this stage.

Least Important

Supportive home environment - I live alone, so there is that. But I spend a lot of otherwise personal time working. Of course no ones knows of my WLS, but that environment is not conducive to a healthy diet, lots of alcohol and rich meals. I've had wine poured for me, shots bought for me, and lots of pressure to eat more and have a drink/s.

Exercise - This is terrible to admit, but aside from walking on days I'm home, I don't exercise.

Unknown

Mental Health/Emotional Stability - I'm a pretty level headed person. No mental health issues. I think what is helpful in this journey is having some perspective. For me, WLS hasn't been hard in any real way. Easiest weight I have ever lost. Although stalls annoy me, I know they are inevitable, and it's only a matter of time and I'll start losing again. Don't many people on here have a lot of success, but still seem to think the sky is falling at times :P

Diet - I know that my food logs would give some people on here fits, mostly due to how much dining out I do, and that I'm not usually ordering the grilled chicken. But I do keep my calories really low, but that of course gives other people fits :). But I'm able to keep my calories low due to my restriction and lack of hunger, so back to #1.

Will to Succeed - I want to believe this is a factor. But if I didn't have the lack of hunger, restriction and such fast and visible results, would I have been discouraged and fallen off he wagon like all the times in the past?

56 minutes ago, 2shea said:

I wonder if the responses will vary according to our own perceptions as to whether we have control of the outcome of events in our lives.

Those who perceive they have little control in the outcome may say luck or skill of the surgeon, whereas those who feel they have control in the outcome would say it diet, exercise or their will to succeed (assuming it was strong). Then there are those who straddle both sides.

Interesting perspective, and I can't say I disagree, even though it doesn't "fit" me.

I definitely in general feel I'm in control of the events in my life, at least to the extent anyone can be. But I chose luck and skill of my surgeon as the most important factor because I've failed to lose in the past, but now I have been so successful, with relative ease. I don't feel I can take credit for that.

Here is my ranking--as you can see I think the entire weight loss things is all in your head (sprinkled with a bit of luck)--then what you put in your mouth, and bringing up the rear is my surgeon --because honestly living close to NYC there is a plethora of highly skilled surgeons, and he has had very little one-on-one time with me. My Nutritionist has been more instrumental---Dead last is exercise, because I don't. lol. And I have lost nearly 60 pounds in three months. I do walk every where, about 4-5 miles a day, so I am not sedentary. I just do not do anything formal.

1.Will to succeed

2. Luck

3. Mental health

4. Emotional stability

5. Diet

6. Supportive home environment

7. Skill of surgeon

8. Exercise

i'm curious how people would rank these eight factors in importance for success after weight loss after surgery.
Which of these matters the most? Which matters the least?
If you don't want to do all eight, even ranking the top three or providing some insight into your choices....could make for a fascinating look at how we approach our journeys.

Diet
Luck
Exercise
Will to succeed
Emotional stability
Skill of surgeon
Mental health

Are there other important factors not listed here?

Will to succeed
Skill of Surgeon
Mental health
Diet
Exercise
Emotional stability
Luck

I think external influences are missing, like doing it for someone else, for revenge, this or death, etc. Those can be strong motivating forces (positive or negative)

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

2 minutes ago, Tealael said:

I think external influences are missing, like doing it for someone else, for revenge, this or death, etc. Those can be strong motivating forces (positive or negative)

Good catch, Tealeal.

Health improvement motivation is big one for me...not wanting to take meds forever, have health issues, desire for longevity, mobility, athleticism.

This is intresting, and a tough one for me to rank

Because emotional and mental health definitely play a part in coming to the conclusion that we need help, and the weight loss surgery isnt a fix all, and it takes work. If you arent ready to change your lifestyle, nothing will change.

Without the right support, we often have a hard time succeeding.

We need the will to succeed to push ourselves to diet and exercise.

The surgeon is also very important....they provide skills to help you succeed.

Luck...im not quite sure i believe in this playing a part. Luck for me would be winning the lottery....

I came to the conclusion that i needed the surgery and my will to succeed along with support from my family got me here....no luck involved...my own blood, sweat and tears ;)

Emotional/mental health

Will to succeed

Support

Surgeon

Diet

Exercise

Luck

Edited by funky_monkey800

I am loving the variety of responses and the reasons why people rank them.

And the important stuff I forgot.

How interesting!

No right or wrong answers here....just kinda cool to get a look inside other people's thought processes.

Mental health...if your batschit-ness is sabotaging your weight loss, nothings gonna fix that until your batschit is addressed. Some forms of nuttiness have very little impact on weight, though. But yeah, being mentally well...is a good first step.

Emotional stability....if you don't work on this and you're an emotional eater, you're going to sabotage your best efforts. Or develop a cross over addiction. Or destroy your relationship. Or find some other destructive outlet other than eating. This is a good one to get on top of

Will to succeed.....Have heard it said that "Wanting to stay married" is 90% of staying married. I think a similar thing can be said about most goals, even weight loss. If you wake up everyday and WANT it...even if you've screwed up multiple times and are utterly imperfect...you'll still get there because you won't give up until you do. That will to accomplish something is a pretty strong force.

Supportive Home Environment....I can see how you'd rank this one low if you live alone, and higher if you live with person with poor eating habits. Having somewhere to nuture your new habits where you can in peace...is very important. This is also true of remaining emotionally healthy...which can also figure in strongly.

Diet...undeniable important what you eat. Whatever your strategy is...having a strategy and being accountable to that strategy is going to pay off on the scale.< /span>

Exercise....this one is hugely more important to me than other people, I think. It helps in so many ways for me. It bolsters my emotional stability and will to succeed. It complements my diet by adding more flexibility. It gives me a serotonin boost and pours gas on my metabolism fire. it boosts my supportive home environment cause going for walks and swims together sets a stage for talking and nurturing relationships. Having fun together...is important. It's one of my most valued tools.

Skill of surgeon.....incredibly important for safety of procedure and good follow up. But ultimately, not a major factor in over all success (unless you pick someone awful who ends up doing an inferior procedure).

Luck....more important than we want to admit. Some folks have an easy time doing well after weight loss surgery, for some it's very very difficult. Genetics, personal physiology and anatomy... are luck. And they're a very big piece of the equation. Our socioeconomic standing, our intelligence, mental health....how we process the decisions we make....are largely predetermined by forces we don't control.

Edited by Creekimp13

I think the order is dependent on where you are in the process. Luck - or genetics- how your body reacts to the anatomical changes is a huge factor in the honeymoon phase. 10 years out it really doesn’t play a part anymore and weight loss is more dependent on diet and exercise. Which mean will to succeed has to be the highest, since you have to have the willpower to stick to that diet and exercise.

Skill of surgeon I think rates last. You might attribute complications to that but ultimately not your weight loss success.

Don’t misunderstand me though, I’m not planning on indulging on anything I want because I’ll lose weight anyway. The honeymoon phase (in my opinion) will be THE BEST TIME to establish healthy eating habits.