Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein - How much is too much?

1 minute ago, Chrisb428 said:

Yes, that was his point that you dont *need* beyond them, nithing more. He never ssid they were equal or metabolized the same. Just that even the average non bodybuilder mom could get the necessary Protein to meet basic needs from a regular trip tp the grocery store.

Understood, although WLS patients should absolutely be doing some form of body building. For a few reasons. First and foremost is, larger muscles burn more fat and smaller ones. Second, building muscle is going to help with your joints as the fat loss leaves them unprotected and "loose". As we shed fat, that fat that once protected and insulated muscles, joints, tendons and bones, is thinning out and leaves those areas with more "slack" (for lack of a better term). Tightening up our muscles helps tighten up those areas as well. Granted I'm not saying everyone should be Mr/Ms Universe sized, but even light building is greatly beneficial.

3 minutes ago, Tealael said:

How do you all feel about plant Protein since we are on the subject? Not trying to start a fight but I would like to rotate veganism in my lifestyle , I realize I would have to use shakes sometimes and I could live with that but I just FEEL better plant based so I'm looking for realistic ways to get it done and if that means flex fueling that's what I will do...

Plant based is fine to use, LOTS of people use it often, including those looking to build. Typically it has most of what's needed added in. Compare to another similar quality animal based and you'll see that you should be close enough to what you are getting in the animal sourced versions. They typically will be high quality and contain added AA/BCAA's because they know the target demographic isn't going to be getting those from animal sources. But always read the labels and compare so you are 100% sure!

13 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Second, building muscle is going to help with your joints as the fat loss leaves them unprotected and "loose". As we shed fat, that fat that once protected and insulated muscles, joints, tendons and bones, is thinning out and leaves those areas with more "slack" (for lack of a better term). Tightening up our muscles helps tighten up those areas as well.

OK, that's a little scary since I am quite hyperextended in many joints to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

OK, that's a little scary since I am quite hyperextended in many joints to begin with.

Yeah, it's been weird, my hips are going crazy, so much odd pinching and pain right in the joint of the hip itself. Been working the hips really hard to help with this. I can do 3 sets of 10 at 305lbs on both the Hip Adduction and Hip Abduction, that and lots of stretching!

3 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Yeah, it's been weird, my hips are going crazy, so much odd pinching and pain right in the joint of the hip itself. Been working the hips really hard to help with this. I can do 3 sets of 10 at 305lbs on both the Hip Adduction and Hip Abduction, that and lots of stretching!

Wouldn't stretching make it worse?

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Wouldn't stretching make it worse?

You'd think so... but you don't want to lose mobility while gaining muscle mass. You can end up losing mobility if you work out too much and don't stretch, since muscle building happens due to damage to the muscle (micro tears) you can actually reduce your mobility if you continue to build and not stretch. Stretching without building *might* cause the slack issue to increase, overall you just don't want to end up "too tight".

59 minutes ago, Tealael said:

How do you all feel about plant Protein since we are on the subject?

If you are talking about just average day to day life and merely a functioning body, plant based Protein is more than fine. If you are talking about efficacy of protein for tissue repair and bio-availability, you just cannot beat diary & animal protein. They all do the same thing (except collagen protein, it's crap), it's just how effective it is.

Think of it as alcohol. You can have several 750 ml bottles of liquor. They will all will get you drunk, but the Bacardi 151 will get you drunk faster and more immediately than the DiSaronno. (In this example, whey would be the rum and soy the amaretto.)

Edited by BigViffer

1 hour ago, Tealael said:

How do you all feel about plant Protein since we are on the subject? Not trying to start a fight but I would like to rotate veganism in my lifestyle , I realize I would have to use shakes sometimes and I could live with that but I just FEEL better plant based so I'm looking for realistic ways to get it done and if that means flex fueling that's what I will do...

The biggest challenge I had was finding plant based Protein supplements that actually tasted decent.

@Orchids&Dragons I just noticed your ticker! You're doing fantastic! Congrats on being over 1/2 way to goal!

20 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

@Orchids&Dragons I just noticed your ticker! You're doing fantastic! Congrats on being over 1/2 way to goal!

Thank you, sillykitty!

On 06/05/2018 at 09:16, Matt Z said:

This has been proven to be myth. There is no "max absorption rate". I'm surprised that a Surgeon told you this, but it just goes to show you, just because someone is a doctor, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, esp in reference to things outside of their specialty.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst3.htm

@Orchids&Dragons check out this link as well, the 30grams per sitting thing is a myth and is 100% wrong.

Wait, you’re surprised doctors share half truths rumors or things science has disproved?

I see doctors quoted on this board doing that ALL THE TIME.

Anyhow Matt is dead on in the Protein dept. In fact my doc recommends 1g per lb for men and .75 g per pound for women, so my optimal protein goal has always been higher than 80g.

3 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Wait, you’re surprised doctors share half truths rumors or things science has disproved?

I see doctors quoted on this board doing that ALL THE TIME.

Anyhow Matt is dead on in the Protein dept. In fact my doc recommends 1g per lb for men and .75 g per pound for women, so my optimal Protein goal has always been higher than 80g.

OMgosh, Jess, you're killing me here! That would put me at 150g/day. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! I'm happy if I hit 70! I don't want more protein, I want veggies!

I think the ideal is 1 gram of Protein per 1 pound of lean body mass, right? e.g., I am 190#s, 46% fat, 100 pounds lean mass, so 100 grams protein a day -- not 75% of 190, which would be about...150 grams-ish. There's no way a typical obese person would be 75% lean...

6 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

I think the ideal is 1 gram of Protein per 1 pound of lean body mass, right? e.g., I am 190#s, 46% fat, 100 pounds lean mass, so 100 grams Protein a day -- not 75% of 190, which would be about...150 grams-ish. There's no way a typical obese person would be 75% lean...

Excellent, so much better!

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Excellent, so much better!

well, yea, but I may be wrong? :-) Its just what I've uncovered in research!