Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded, now what?

Hi everyone, sorry I've been "missing in action" for a couple of weeks now. I haven't even been keeping up on posts and the Roll Call.

This is a really tough time, that pre-fill time when you're banded and you can't even tell anything was done. Right after surgery it was great, but once the swelling went down, then....... it feels like nothing has even changed. I was really motivated to get this band, and really worked up about it, and doing okay for a week.... but now it's settled into a kind of depression. A "let down". I guess it's bandster hell.

I'm discouraged, don't feel like exercising, etc. I think I need my support group's encouragement. My first fill is Nov 19, and I don't expect that fill do offer much restriction. Sorry for the negativity.

Please send hugs and encouragment. I need it! :)

I am so sorry Holly. Just ask your surgeon to be aggressive with the first fill. Until then, stay away from carbs. They will only make you hungry.

It looks like you're doing great! You've lost 20 lbs in less than a month? Way to go!

Oh Holly-

I totally understand how you are feeling. I am going through it all too. It appears from reading everyone's posts, we all are falling into that same slump. The initial weight loss and euphoria is wearing off, and we are in this weird point. We are trying to learn to cope with our lives without food- which was a huge part of our lives to get us to the point we were at to need the surgery. Our swelling is going down, and our appetites are increasing. I think this is one of those critical times where we need to really work our new "tool." I have realized the last few days that the Protein intake really is important. During mushies I was eating a lot of carbs since a lot of mushies are carbs. Then for a day or two in solids I was a little nervous and still ate carbs. Now I have started increasing protein, and really notice a big difference in my ability to stay satisfied between meals. So I personally have noticed that when I eat more protein and small amounts of carbs, I feel much better. I know this time before our fill is frustrating, but I think for that reason we really need to make exercise a priority. I am getting on my treadmill right after I get off the computer. Let's all try to do some deliberate exercise everyday! Deal? I am here for you. We all are. We are all in this together and going through the same thing, so that is why it is great to have eachother's support. We can do this. My program said these emotions and feelings would come up. They said it is interesting the stages the bandsters go through and they can tell what stage they are in as they come in for follow up's. It's like a mourning process for food and old lifestyles/habits. So this is way normal and we are just going through the process. This stage will pass and we will come out the other side before we know it. We just have to be strong and not sabotage ourselves. Our new lives are right there within our reach- let's grab it and go! Here for you always-

:)

My initial first weigh in loss was 15lbs..had surgery 10/16/07 I am starting to crave....I had a small piece of homemade taffy ....why now I am craving is this normal? My first tightning is 11/23/07 What should I exspect to loose in the first 3-4 months if I stay faithful?:help:

I've lost 41.5 since I was banded on 7/26/07. I lost 37 between making the decision (April) and getting banded. So, it's worth staying faithful. It's worth it!

Best wishes.

Sue

Hey Holly-

I was going to send a search party out to look for you soon if you didn't show up.:spy: Whew! I totally understand what you are going through. Even as upbeat as I am, I too am sometimes down in the dumps. It's weird because I thought I would be on cloud 9, but it turns out that I hang out on cloud 7.

I am losing weight, not cheating on my diet, and I am remembering to exercise...but...but...is this all there is? I guess I built this up in mind so huge that it could never live up to my expection of the greatness of it. Don't get me wrong I love losing 28 pounds in a month! I guess I was hoping for a parade or something...maybe a building named after me...who knows what was in my mind????:humble:

I will have to just live one day at a time, do my best, and lean on all of you guys for support.:) By the way I do feel much better now. I am suppose to be eating solids, but I can't bring myself to do it, so I am not going to. I think I have a fear of chewing.:tape: I have to wean(sp?) back on to solids. Who would have thought that a month ago?

Holly hang in there. I am here for you anytime. :huggie:I have the search party ready and waiting if you need them. We all will get through this together.:Banane20:

Hello Holly,

You and I were banded the same day and yesterday was one of my worst days. I think this is a normal stage we are hitting and it will pass. I read an excellent post from someone on here that "has been there and done that". She said that it really isn't "bandland" until around your second or third fill. She said when we reach that point, we will start dropping weight on a regular basis. She stated that we would get back to that point right after surgery when we were not hungry. It just takes time with "fills" to find that perfect point. And, as we lose the weight, this will need adjustment. However, she said this is a critical time for proper healing of the band and starting an exercise routine for life and preparing our mental state for that careful eating and drinking later. Everyone on here has repeatedly said stay away from carbs because they only make you more hungry. I found that to be true yesterday when I ate a piece of pumpkin bread that I beat myself up about. I made a decision to move on and did an extra a 30 minutes of exercise. It was the first time I "messed up". I also read another post about "cheating". Someone really put it all in perspective about how we can stretch our bands and heal improperly and cause slippage later. Scared the *@ out of me and made me have a reality check quick. I tell you all of this in case you are experiencing some of the same grief. If you are, know you are not alone. My first fill isn't until Nov 26th. I am glad you get to go sooner. The wait is hard. So, hang in there!!! :)

I am having a really hard time as well. I was banded on the 24th of October. I, like you, worked up to the surgery. I was all ready to go. I had the surgery and did great through my week of liquids and then when I startd mushies last Wedesday I just kinda have lost control. So I have had 4 days of good intentions that have ended in way too many carbs and not enough Protein. I got on the scales this morning and I have gained 3 pounds. It's amazing how quickly that can happen. We have family in on both sides this weekend, so everywhere I go there is lots of food. We also finalize my son's adoption on Monday, so this is just a big time of celebration. In our culture waht do we do when we Celebrate? ? WE EAT! ARGHHHH!!! I have declined an invitation to go to my mom's for hamburgers after church this morning. i am sending the rest of the crew, but I am going to come home. I have put myself on liquids for today, and then I will go from there. I have to focus much more on protein. These carbs are making me very hungry. Hang in there, we can all do this. I can't wait for my first fill on Nov 20.

Holly - you are not alone, after the op every day I stepped on the scales it went down - I was so excited, then as each week went by and I started to eat more food (mushies, solid etc) in bigger and bigger portions I started to worry and the joy has worn off a bit but although I haven't lost anything for the last 2 weeks my body has been changing and I've lost inches because my clothes feel better an ultimately I am eating less than pre op (I didn't do a pre-op diet).

I have discovered that carbs really is my enemy and I can read my eating habits better. So try and find other things that has changed for you and take it one day at a time.

I found joining the website sparkpeople dot com helps to keep you focused. Also I'm trying to add exercise to my routine.

We have read many many stories on here with people that have succeeded we will all be a success story. Before the band, I couldn't sleep properly, I had heartburn every day, I ate huge quantities of food and I haven't got back to that stage so I feel like a success already.

Good luck everyone!!!

Yep, we are in bandster hell alright!

I have continued to lose, very slowly, but I am really working it.

I am basically starving myself!

:faint:I am so glad that you started this thread. I am having a hard time resisting my cravings. I was banded 10/22 and I feel like I did on 10/21! Halloween was horrible. I never used to crave sweets before, but now... It's all I think about. I have lost 10 pounds, but I think that I could have done so much better during this post op period. I'm not going to filled until 12/6! I BEGGED him to fill me before Thanksgiving, but he wouldn't do it. It's going to be carb hell!!!!!!!!:cry

Here's what is helping me.

Stay away from the scales everyday!

Use your salad plates to eat off instead of dinner plates. Mugs instead of bowls.

No TV or Computer until after 7pm.

Protein - I carry a plastic baggy around and use it in everything. Hope no cops stop me!

Use your clothing to judge. I designated a pair of pants as my official TEST PANTS (white pants and every woman knows they are not forgiving)! I'm happy to report they are buttoned and zipped without the use of any major equipment, spandex or loss of life or limb! 4 weeks ago they wouldn't even zip and my legs looked like sauages.

I had to start measuring everything again! My eyeball methods proved inaccurate. I think we are so use to overportions that what is really normal seems like such little food. I know it psychs me out to see a 1/2 cup of food and think NO WAY is that going to be enough. Anyone else feeling that?

You guys are so much stronger than me b/c I haven't weighed myself since a week after surgery b/c I know if I see I gained or didn't lose what I think, I would go off the deep end worse than I did Friday. PMS and Lapband are an evil combination. I even kinda of scared myself.......but my guide says 3-4 weeks out are big adjustments b/c your body and mind are adapting to all the changes.

My thinking is a lot of us are just getting off mushies and there was a lot of carbs so we probably gained but what are you suppose to do during that time except follow your doctor's instructions. I'm not beating myself up until I get a fill and get use to normal food on band portions. Its a slow process we knew that getting into it.

We didn't gain this overnight and we can't lose it overnight.

We Can Do This!!!!! Slow and Steady Healthy and Ready....for our next phase of life!

My Tony Robbins portion of the show is now over!

This was a really great series of messages as it will help me prepare for the this time period. Thanks all for your honesty!!!!

You are all right. Carbs are the enemy. The more you eat them, the more you crave them. I can't lose at all if if let them sneak back into my diet. I am not talking about carbs from fruit, just the bad white carbs.

hey everyone, I was banded on Oct 3 and yes I am going through the depressions. I have lost 38 lbs since I started the preop diet until now 6 weeks out. At times my cravings return but I try to get busier and soon it goes away. My first fill is Nov 13 and I am very nervous. I need support to get through my fill. Can use recipe ideas also. I love my band anyway.